The use of on-animal acoustical recording devices for studying animal behavior
Version of Record online: 31 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2030–2037, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2030–2037
- Issue online: 10 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 31 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 20 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 FEB 2013
- Safari Club International
- 1989. Towards an acoustic biotelemetry system for animal behavior studies. J. Wildl. Manage. 53:658–662. , , and .
- 2007. Behavioural biology: an effective and relevant conservation tool. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22:401–407.
- 1998. A programmable acoustic recording tag and first results from free-ranging northern elephant seals. Deep Sea Res. Part II 45:1327–1351. , , , and .
- 1990. Minimizing capture-related stress on white-tailed deer with a capture collar. J. Wildl. Manage. 54:299–303. , , , and .
- 2010. Stress: an inevitable component of animal translocation. Biol. Conserv. 143:1329–1341. , , and .
- 2009. Noise pollution changes avian communities and species interactions. Curr. Biol. 19:1415–1419. , , and .
- 2012. Bioacoustical monitoring in terrestrial environments. Acoust. Today 8:16–24. , and .
- 2003. A digital acoustic recording tag for measuring the response of wild marine mammals to sound. IEEE J. Oceanic Eng. 28:3–12. , and .
- 1991. Foraging behavior by mule deer: the influence of cattle grazing. J. Wildl. Manage. 55:665–674. , , , and .
- 2005. The singing life of birds: the art and science of listening to birdsong. Houghton Mifflin Company, New York, NY.
- Laca & WallisDeVries. 2000. Acoustic measurement of intake and grazing behaviour of cattle. Grass Forage Sci. 55:97–104.
- 2012. Habitat selection by mule deer during migration: effects of landscape structure and natural-gas development. Ecosphere, 3:1–19. , , , , and .
- 2011. An assessment of noise audibility and sound levels in US National Parks. Landscape Ecol. 26:1297–1309. , , and .
- 1982. Cardiac and behavioral responses of mountain sheep to human distubance. J. Wildl. Manage. 46:351–358. , , and .
- 2012. Field test of an affordable, portable, wireless microphone array for spatial monitoring of animal ecology and behaviour. Methods Ecol. Evol. 3:704–712. , , , , and .
- 2012. Obtaining calibrated sound pressure levels from consumer digital audio recorders. Appl. Acoust. 73:1138–1145. , and .
- 2002. Delayed acute capture myopathy in three roe deer. J. Vet. Med. Ser. A 49:93–98. , , , , and .
- 2010. What is “bio-logging”? Aquat. Mamm. 36:308–322.
- 2012. Automatic recognition of jaw movements in free-ranging cattle, goats and sheep, using acoustic monitoring. Biosyst. Eng. 114:474–483. , , , and .
- 2005. Using acoustic telemetry to monitor foraging by penned mule deer. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 33:624–632. , , and .
- 2005. Trends and perspectives in animal-attached remote sensing. Front. Ecol. Environ. 3:437–444. , and .
- 1988. Physiological-aspects of freezing behavior in willow ptarmigan hens. Acta Physiol. Scand. 134:299–304. , , and .
- 1984. Food Intake and foraging energetics of elk and mule deer. J. Wildl. Manage. 48:1285–1301. , , , , and .