Alternative forms for genomic clines
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 1951–1966, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 1951–1966
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 22 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 FEB 2013
- 2011. Enhancements to the admixture algorithm for individual ancestry estimation. BMC Bioinformatics 12:246. , and .
- 1948. Hybridization of the habitat. Evolution 2:1–9. .
- 1954. Hybridization as an evolutionary stimulus. Evolution 8:378–388. , and .
- 2006. Evolution Through Genetic Exchange. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
- 2009. Adaptation by introgression. J. Biol. 8:82. , and .
- 1995. A simulation study of multilocus clines. Evolution 49:1038–1045.
- 1995. A method for quantifying differentiation between populations at multi-allelic loci and its implications for investigating identity and paternity. Genetica 96:3–12. , and .
- 1979. Gene flow past a cline. Heredity 43:333–339.
- 1983. Multilocus clines. Evolution 37:454–471.
- 2008. The effect of a barrier to gene flow on patterns of geographic variation. Genet. Res. 90:139–149.
- 1995. Analyse- an application for analysing hybrid zones. edinburgh, uk, freeware. , and ,
- 1986. The barrier to genetic exchange between hybridizing populations. Heredity 57:357–376. , and .
- 1993. Genetic analysis of hybrid zones. Pp. 13–45 in R. G. Harrison, ed. Hybrid zones and the evolutionary process. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. , and .
- 1969. Hypothetical mechanism of speciation. Evolution 23:685–687.
- 2006. Ecology: from individuals to ecosystems. Blackwell, Malden, MA. , , and .
- 2008. Admixture as the basis for genetic mapping. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:686–694. , and .
- 1998. What do hybrid zones in general, and the chorthippus parallelus zone in particular, tell us about speciation? Pp. 367–378 in D. J. Howard and S. H. Berlocher, eds. Endless forms: species and speciation. Oxford Univ. Press, New York.
- 1976. The selfish gene. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
- 1937. Genetics and the origin of species. Columbia Univ. Press, New York.
- 1977. Geographic variation, speciation, and clines. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.
- 1937. The wave of advance of advantageous genes. Ann. Eugen. 7:355–369.
- 2008. Hybrid dysfunction: population genetic and quantitative genetic perspectives. Am. Nat. 171:491–498.
- 2007a. Hybrid vigor between native and introduced salamanders raises new challenges for conservation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:15793–15798. , and .
- 2007b. Introduction history and habitat variation explain the landscape genetics of hybrid tiger salamanders. Ecol. Appl. 17:598–608. , and .
- 2009. Rapid fixation of non-native alleles revealed by genome-wide snp analysis of hybrid tiger salamanders. BMC Evol. Biol. 9:176. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Rapid spread of invasive genes into a threatened native species. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 107:3606–3610. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Fitness landscapes and the origin of species. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.
- 2009. A powerful regression-based method for admixture mapping of isolation across the genome of hybrids. Mol. Ecol. 18:1207–1224. , and .
- 2010. Introgress: a software package for mapping components of isolation in hybrids. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:378–384. , and .
- 2011. Bayesian estimation of genomic clines. Mol. Ecol. 20:2111–2127. , and .
- 2012. bgc: software for bayesian estimation of genomic clines. Mol. Ecol. Resour.. doi:10.1111/1755-0998.12009.x. , and .
- 2006. Homoploid hybrid speciation in an extreme habitat. Science 314:1923–1925. , , , , and .
- 2010. Bayesian analysis of molecular variance in pyrosequences quantifies population genetic structure across the genome of Lycaeides butterflies. Mol. Ecol. 19:2455–2473. , , , , , and .
- 2012a. Genomic regions with a history of divergent selection affect fitness of hybrids between two butterfly species. Evolution 66:2167–2181. , , , , , and ,
- 2012b. Genomics of isolation in hybrids. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 367:439–450. , , and .
- 2004. Tutorial on minimum description length. Pp. 23–80 in P. Grünwald, I. Myung and M. Pitt, eds. Advances in minimum description length: theory and applications. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 2011. Estimating the location and shape of hybrid zones. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 11:1119–1123. , and .
- 2001. Admixture analysis and stocking impact assessment in brown trout (salmo trutta), estimated with incomplete baseline data. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 58:1853–1860. , , , and .
- 1908. Mendelian proportions in a mixed population. Science 28:49–50.
- 1990. Hybrid zones: windows on evolutionary process. Oxf. Surv. Evol. Biol. 7:69–128.
- 1993. Hybrids and hybrid zones: historical perspective. Pp. 3–12 in R. G. Harrison, ed. Hybrid zones and the evolutionary process. Oxford Univ. Press, New York.
- 1989. Mosaic hybrid zones and the nature of species boundaries. Pp. 111–133 in D. Otte and J. A. Endler, eds. Speciation and its consequences. Sinauer, Sunderland, Mass. , and .
- 1997. Principles of population genetics, 3rd ed.. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 1988. Hybrid zones - natural laboratories for evolutionary studies. Trends Ecol. Evol. 3:158–167.
- 2001. Speciation, hybrid zones and phylogeography - or seeing genes in space and time. Mol. Ecol. 10:537–549.
- 1993. Survival of hybrids in a mosaic hybrid zone. Evolution 47:789–800. , , , and .
- 1998. Applied multivariate statistical analysis. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J. , and .
- 1968. the concept of stasipatric speciation. Syst. Zool. 17:14–22.
- 2010. Doing Bayesian data analysis: a tutorial with R and BUGS. Academic Press.
- 1999. A comparison of multilocus clines maintained by environmental adaptation or by selection against hybrids. Genetics 153:1959–1971. , , , and .
- 2007. Admixture in european populus hybrid zones makes feasible the mapping of loci that contribute to reproductive isolation and trait differences. Heredity 98:74–84. , , , , and .
- 1991. The genetic structure of admixed populations. Genetics 127:417–428.
- 2011. Assessing multilocus introgression patterns: a case study on the mouse x chromosome in central europe. Evolution 65:1428–1446. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Speciation by hybridization in heliconius butterflies. Nature 441:868–871. , , , , , and .
- 1942. Systematics and the origin of species from the viewpoint of a zoologist. Columbia Univ. Press, New York.
- 1989. Generalized linear models. Chapman & Hall, London. , and .
- 2010. Widespread genomic divergence during sympatric speciation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 107:9724–9729. , , , , , and .
- 2004. How species evolve collectively: implications of gene flow and selection for the spread of advantageous alleles. Mol. Ecol. 13:1341–1356. , and .
- 2006. Marker genotypes and population admixture and their association with body weight, height and relative body mass in united states federal bison herds. Genetics 174:775–783. , , , , and .
- 2012. Recombination rate variation and speciation: theoretical predictions and empirical results from rabbits and mice. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 367:409–421. , and .
- 2012. Genomic divergence during speciation: causes and consequences. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 367:332–342. , and .
- 2008. Heterogeneous genomic differentiation between walking-stick ecotypes: ‘isolation by adaptation’ and multiple roles for divergent selection. Evolution 62:316–336. , , and ,
- 1998. Estimating african american admixture proportions by use of population-specific alleles. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 63:1839–1851. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Genetic Drift Widens the Expected Cline but Narrows the Expected Cline Width. Genetics 189:227–235. , and .
- 1997. The Pontia daplidice-edusa hybrid zone in northwestern italy. Evolution 51:1561–1573. , , , , and .
- 2001. Case-control studies of association in structured or admixed populations. Theor. Popul. Biol. 60:227–237. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Available at http://www.R-project.org/ (accessed October 26, 2012).
- 1959. A flexible growth function for empirical use. J. Exp. Bot. 10:290–300.
- 1999. Hybrid classification: insights from genetic map-based studies of experimental hybrids. Ecology 80:361–370. , and .
- 2003. Major ecological transitions in wild sunflowers facilitated by hybridization. Science 301:1211–1216. , , , , , , et al.
- 1978. Modeling by shortest data description. Automatica 14:465–471.
- 2005. Complexity and information in modeling. Pp. 85–104 in K. V. Velupillai, ed. Computability, complexity and constructivity in economic analysis. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford.
- 1973. Gene flow and selection in a cline. Genetics 75:733–756.
- 1986. Genetic analysis of a hybrid zone between the fire-bellied toads, bombina bombina and b. variegata, near cracow in southern poland. Evolution 40:1141–1159. , and .
- 2000. Dominance, epistasis, and the genetics of postzygotic isolation. Genetics 154:1663–1679. , and .
- 2005. Genomic islands of speciation in anopheles gambiae. PLoS Biol. 3:1572–1578. , , and .
- 2002. Modern applied statistics with S-Plus, 4th ed.. Springer, New York. , and .
- 1989. Plant hybrid zones as sinks for pests. Science 244:1490–1493.
- 2001. The genic view of the process of speciation. J. Evol. Biol. 14:851–865.
- 2007. Rampant gene exchange across a strong reproductive barrier between the annual sunflowers, helianthus annuus and h. petiolaris. Genetics 175:1883–1893. , , , and .