The evolution of costly acquired immune memory
Article first published online: 6 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2223–2232, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2223–2232
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 6 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 17 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 MAR 2013
- NERC. Grant Number: NE/F019610/1
- 1979. Population biology of infectious diseases: part I. Nature 280:361–367. , and .
- 1997. The dynamics of cocirculating influenza strains conferring partial cross-immunity. J. Math. Biol. 35:825–842. , , and .
- 1998. Coevolution of recovery ability and virulence. Proc. Biol. Sci. 265:317–325.
- 2012. The impact of past epidemics on future disease dynamics. J. Theor. Biol. 309:176–184. , and .
- 2013. The evolutionary dynamics of within-generation immune priming in invertebrate hosts. J. R. Soc. Interface 10:20120887. , , , and .
- 2010. Adaptive immunity. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 125:S33–S40 , and .
- 1999. Three mechanisms of host resistance to microparasites - avoidance, recovery and tolerance - show different evolutionary dynamics. J. Theor. Biol. 201:13–23. , and .
- 2004. The evolution of resistance through costly acquired immunity. Proc. Biol. Sci. 271:715–723. , and .
- 2004. The evolutionary economics of immunity. Am. Nat. 163:277–294. , and .
- 1989. Epidemiological models with age structure, proportionate mixing and cross-immunity. J. Math. Biol. 27:233–258. , , , , and .
- 1991. On conditions for evolutionary stability for a continuously varying character. Am. Nat. 138:37–50.
- 2006. The evolution of adaptive immune systems. Cell 124:815–822. , and .
- 1983. Evolutionary and continuous stability. J. Theor. Biol. 103:99–111.
- 2012. Coevolution between maternal transfer of immunity and other resistance strategies against pathogens. Evolution 66:3067–3078. , , and .
- 1998. Evolutionarily singular strategies and the adaptive growth and branching of the evolutionary tree. Evol. Ecol. 12:35–57. , , , and .
- 2010. Theoretical analysis of the evolution of immune memory. BMC Evol. Biol. 10:380. , , and .
- 1994. Theoretical studies of the effects of heterogeneity in the parasite population on the transmission dynamics of malaria. Proc. Biol. Sci. 256:231–238. , , and .
- 2011. The evolution of adaptive immunity in vertebrates. Adv. Immunol. 109:125–157. , , , and .
- 2010. Next-generation tools for evolutionary invasion analyses. J. R. Soc. Interface 7:561–571. , , and .
- 1927. Contributions to the mathematical theory of epidemics – 1. Proc. R. Soc. B 115A:700–721. , and .
- 2010. The origins of vertebrate adaptive immunity. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 10:543–553. , , and .
- 2004. Evological and evolutionary implications of immunological priming in invertebrates. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:58–60. , and .
- 1997. Innate immunity: the virtues of a nonclonal system of recognition. Cell 91:295–298. , and .
- 2007. Host life span and the evolution of resistance characteristics. Evolution 61:2–14. , , and .
- 2000. Survival for immunity: the price of immune system activation for bumblebee workers. Science 290:1166–1168. , and .
- 1999. Invertebrates versus vertebrates innate immunity: in the light of evolution. Scand. J. Immunol. 50:456–460.
- 2005. Evolutionary ecology of insect immune defenses. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 50:529–551.
- 2012. How do plants achieve immunity? Defence without specialized immune cells. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 12:89–100. , and .
- 2003. Evolution of immunological memory and the regulation of competition between pathogens. Curr. Biol. 13:1648–1652.