Flexibility and constraints in the molt schedule of long-distance migratory shorebirds: causes and consequences
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 1967–1976, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 1967–1976
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 15 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 FEB 2013
- Leventis Conservation Foundation
- University of Cape Town
- Earthwatch Institute
- National Research Foundation
- 1990. Optimal bird migration: the relative importance of time, energy, and safety. Pp. 331–351 in E. Gwinner, ed. Bird migration: physiology and ecophysiology. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , and .
- 2011. Migration and moult strategy of the Curlew Sandpiper, Calidris ferruginea. PhD thesis, University of Cape Town, Cape Town. Available at http://adu.org.za/pdf/Barshep_Y_2011_PhD_thesis.pdf (accessed September 12, 2012) .
- 2011a. The primary moult of Curlew Sandpipers Calidris ferriginea in north-western Australia shifts according to breeding success. Ardea 99:43–51. , , , and .
- 2011b. Effect of climate change and predation on migration of Curlew Sandpiper in Sweden. Waterbirds 34:1–9. , , and .
- 2006. Annual routines of non-migratory birds: optimal moult strategies. Oikos 112:580–593. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Indirect effects of lemming cycles on sandpiper dynamics: 50 years of counts from southern Sweden. Oecologia 133:146–158. , , , , and .
- 2005. Climate effects on timing of spring migration and breeding in a long-distance migrant, the pied flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca. J. Avian Biol. 36:368–373. , , and .
- 2012. Carry-over effects and compensation: late arrival on non-breeding grounds affects wing moult but not plumage or schedules of departing bar-tailed godwits Limosa lapponica baueri. J. Avian Biol. 43:252–263. , and .
- 1983. Handbook of the Birds of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, Vol. III. Waders to Gulls. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 2005. The effect of temperature on photoperiodically regulated gonadal maturation, regression and moult in starlings – potential consequences of climate change. Funct. Ecol. 19:995–1000.
- 2000. Rate of moult affects feather quality: a mechanism linking current reproductive effort to future survival. Proc. Biol. Sci. 267:2093–2098. , , , , and .
- 1976. The migration system of the Curlew Sandpiper Calidris ferruginea in Africa. Ostrich 47:191–213. , , , , and .
- 2013. Moult: an r package to analyse moult in birds. J. Stat. Softw. 52:1–23. , , , , and .
- 2006. The role of breeding success and parental care in determining sexual differences in the timing of southward migration of the Curlew Sandpiper Calidris ferruginea through Tunisia. Int. Wader Studies 19:148–150.
- 1983. Moult in birds. British Trust for Ornithology Guide 19. BTO, Tring. , and .
- 1983. Post-nuptial primary moult in Dunlin Calidris alpina. Ibis 125:223–228.
- 1998. Costs of overlapping reproduction and moult in passerine birds: an experiment with the pied flycatcher. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 43:19–23. , and .
- 1999. Sexual differences in moult-breeding overlap and female reproductive costs in pied flycatchers, Ficedula hypoleuca. J. Anim. Ecol. 68:429–436.
- 1964. Breeding behavior and taxonomic relationships of the Curlew Sandpiper. Auk 81:362–379. , and .
- 1995. The scheduling of moult in migratory birds. Evol. Ecol. 9:354–368. , and .
- 2005. Trophic interaction cycles in Tundra ecosystems and the impact of climate change. Bioscience 55:311–322. , and .
- 1987. Moult and moult migration in a transequatorially migrating shorebird: Wilson's Phalarope. Ornis Scand. 18:173–178. .
- 2007. Effects of climate variation on the breeding ecology of Arctic shorebirds. Bioscience 59:1–48. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. What have we learned from banding and flagging waders in Australia? Pp. 116–142 in P. Straw, ed. Status and conservation of shorebirds in the East Asian-Australasian flyway. Proceedings of the Australasian Shorebirds Conference 13-15 December 2003, Canberra, Australia, Wetlands International Global Series 18. Sydney, Australia. .
- 2005. Monitoring shorebird breeding productivity by the percentage of first year birds in populations in S.E. Australian nonbreeding areas. Pp. 73–85 in P. Straw, ed. Status and conservation of shorebirds in the East Asian-Australasian flyway. Proceedings of the Australasian Shorebirds Conference 13-15 December 2003, Canberra, Australia, Wetlands International Global Series 18. Sydney, Australia. , , , and .
- 2006. Biometrics and moult of the Curlew Sandpiper Calidris ferruginea in Australia. Int. Wader Studies 19:195–204. , , , , and .
- 1976. Moult of the Purple Sandpiper Calidris maritima in Iceland. Ibis 118:237–246.
- 1980. Overlap between breeding and moulting in the Great Tit Parus major and Willow Tit P. montanus in northern Finland. Ornis Scand. 11:43–49. , and .
- 1977. Guide to the identification and ageing of Holarctic waders. British Trust for Ornithology, BTO, Tring. , , and .
- 2003. Molt migration in relation to breeding success in Greater Snow Geese. Arctic 56:1–109. , , , , and .
- 2009. Extended primary moult as an adaptation of adult Wood Sandpipers Tringa glareola to their use of freshwater habitats of southern Africa. Ardea 97:271–280. , , , , and .
- 1990. Bander's Aid. Supplement Number One. Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union Report No. 67, Melbourne. , and .
- 1998. Growth, behaviour of broods and weather-related variation in breeding productivity of Curlew Sandpipers Calidris ferruginea. Ardea 86:153–168. , , and .
- 2010. Infection prevalence and absence of positive correlation between avian haemosporidian parasites, mass and body condition in the Cape Weaver Ploceus capensis. Ostrich 81:69–76. , , , and .
- 2001. Duration of primary moult affects primary quality in Grey Plovers Pluvialis squatarola. J. Avian Biol. 32:377–380.
- 2006. Breeding performance of tundra waders in response to rodent abundance and weather from Taimyr to Chukotka, Siberia. Pp. 131–137 in G. C. Boere, C. A. Galbraith, D. A. Stroud, eds. Waterbirds around the world. The Stationery Office, Edinburgh. , , and .
- 1988. The use of linear measurements when comparing masses. Bird Study 36:77–79.
- 1987. Factors related to breeding production of Brent geese Branta b. bernicla and waders (Charadrii) on the Taimyr peninsula. Bird Study 34:161–171. , and .
- 1983. The effects of methods on the estimates of primary moult duration in the Redshank Tringa totanus. Bird Study 30:149–156. , , and .
- 1998. The breeding productivity of Dark-bellied Brent Geese and Curlew Sandpipers in relation to changes in the numbers of Arctic Foxes and lemmings on the Taimyr Peninsula, Siberia. Ecography 21:573–580. , , and .
- 2004. Timing and duration of moult in three populations of Purple Sandpipers Calidris maritima with different moult/migration patterns. Ibis 146:394–403. , , , , and .
- 1988. Mating system and parental care in Curlew Sandpiper at the Taimyr. Pp. 180–184 in A. V. Andreev, A. Ya. Kondratyev, eds. Studies and protection of birds in northern ecosystems. Academy of Science, USSR (in Russian). .
- 2006. Curlew Sandpipers Calidris ferruginea on their breeding grounds: schedule and geographic distribution in the light of their breeding system. International Wader Studies 19:19–26. , and .
- 1985. Estimating the parameters for primary moult-a new statistical model. Wader Study Group Bull. 44:27–29.
- 1987. Changes in the age structure of curlew sandpiper populations at Langebaan Lagoon, South Africa, in relation to lemming cycles in Siberia. Trans. R. Soc. South Africa 46:209–214.
- 1995. Relative masses of primary feathers. Ringing Migr. 16:109–116. , and .
- 1993. Relative masses of primary feathers in waders. Wader Study Group Bull. 71:29–31. , and .
- 1988. A model for avian primary moult. Ibis 130:358–372. , and .
- 1993. Breeding of waders (Charadrii) and Brant Geese Branta bernicla bernicla at Pronchishcheva Lake, northeastern Taimyr, Russia, in a peak and a decreasing lemming year. Ibis 135:277–292. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Progress with the statistical analysis of primary molt. Acta Zoologica Sinica 52(Supplement):440–443. , , and .
- 2011. Genetic variation in cue sensitivity involved in avian timing of reproduction. Funct. Ecol. 25:868–877. , , , , , and & .
- 2002. Ecological responses to recent climate change. Nature 416:389–395. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Geographic breeding origin and migration of waders wintering in West Africa. Ardea 78:83–112. , , , and .