Individual heterogeneity in reproductive rates and cost of reproduction in a long-lived vertebrate
Article first published online: 31 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2047–2060, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2047–2060
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 31 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 18 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 JAN 2013
- National Science Foundation
- 1989. Sexual selection and cues for female choice in leks of Jackson's widowbird Euplectes jacksoni. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 25:403–410.
- 1997. Reproductive biology of seals. Rev. Reprod. 2:175–194.
- 2009. Consequences of recruitment decisions and heterogeneity on age-specific breeding success in a long-lived seabird. Ecology 90:2491–2502. , , , and .
- 2011. Drivers of age-specific survival in a long-lived seabird: contributions of observed and hidden sources of heterogeneity. J. Anim. Ecol. 80:375–383. , , , , and .
- 2005. Environmental conditions and breeding experience affect costs of reproduction in blue petrels. Ecology 86:682–692. , and .
- 2010. Using information criteria to select the correct variance–covariance structure for longitudinal data in ecology. Methods Ecol. Evol. 1:15–24. , , , , and .
- 2011. Individual quality: tautology or biological reality? J. Anim. Ecol. 80:361–364. , , , , and .
- 1999. Individual differences, longevity, and reproductive senescence in bighorn ewes. Ecology 80:2555–2565. , , and .
- 1996. The evolution of maternal care in pinnipeds. Bioscience 46:645–654. , and .
- 1998. General methods for monitoring convergence of iterative simulations. J. Comput. Graph. Stat. 7:434–455. , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference, a practical information–theoretic approach. 2nd ed. Springer, New York. , and .
- 1998. The diet of Weddell seals in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica as determined from scat collections and stable isotope analysis. Polar Biol. 19:272–282. , , , and .
- 2011. What causes intraspecific variation in resting metabolic rate and what are its ecological consequences? Proc. Biol. Sci. 278:3465–3473. , , , and .
- 2000. Apparent inferiority of first-time breeders in the kittiwake: the role of heterogeneity among age classes. J. Anim. Ecol. 69:380–394. , and .
- 2002. Individual covariation in life-history traits: seeing the trees despite the forest. Am. Nat. 159:96–105. , , , , and .
- 2012. Looking for a needle in a haystack: inference about individual fitness components in a heterogeneous population. Oikos. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0706.2012.20532.x , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Age-specific survival, abundance, and immigration rates of a Weddell seal (Leptonychotes weddellii) population in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. Can. J. Zool. 82:601–615. , and .
- 2007. Site fidelity of Weddell seals: the effects of sex and age. Antarct. Sci. 19:149–155. , , , and .
- 1990. Large-scale perturbations: opportunities for innovation. Ecology 71:2038–2043.
- 1992. Metabolic rates of freely diving Weddell seals: correlations with oxygen stores, swim velocity and diving duration. J. Exp. Biol. 165:181–194. , , and .
- 2012. Environmental extremes versus ecological extremes: impact of a massive iceberg on the population dynamics of a high-level Antarctic marine predator. Proc. Biol. Sci. 279: 4532–4541. , , and .
- 1999. Effects of individual heterogeneity in estimating the persistence of small populations. Nat. Res. Model. 12:109–127. , and .
- 2004. When does physiology limit the foraging behaviour of freely diving mammals? Int. Congr. Ser. 1275:359–366. , , , , and .
- 2012. Assessing individual heterogeneity using model selection criteria: how many mixture components in capture–recapture models? Methods Ecol. Evol. 3:564–573. , , , and .
- 2004. The behavioural ecology of personality: consistent individual differences from an adaptive perspective. Ecol. Lett. 7:734–739. , , and .
- 1859. On the origin of species by means of natural selection or the preservation of favored races in the struggle for life. J. Murray, London.
- 1986. Natural selection in the wild. Princeton Univ. Press, New Jersey.
- 1997. Body mass and survival of bighorn sheep. Can. J. Zool. 75:1372–1379. , , , , and .
- 2000. Early development, adult mass, and reproductive success in bighorn sheep. Behav. Ecol. 11:633–639. , , and .
- 2003. Females increase offspring heterozygosity and fitness through extra-pair matings. Nature 425:714–717. , , , , and .
- 2006. Consequences of heterogeneity in survival probability in a population of Florida scrub-jays. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:921–927. , , , and .
- 2004. P.159 in Bayesian data analysis, 2nd ed. Boca Raton, Chapman & Hall/CRC. , , , and .
- 2010. Individual heterogeneity in studies on marked animals using numerical integration: capture–recapture mixed models. Ecology 91:951–957. , and .
- 1993. Punctuated equilibrium comes of age. Nature 366:223–227. , and .
- 1998. Spatial and temporal variability of size-fractionated biomass and primary production in the Ross Sea (Antarctica) during austral spring and summer. Polar Biol. 19:37–51. , , and .
- 2009. Spatio-temporal distribution and abundance of Euphausia crystallorophias in Terra Nova Bay (Ross Sea, Antarctica) during austral summer. Polar Biol. 32:347–367. , , , and .
- 2006. Variation in probability of first reproduction of Weddell seals. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:1058–1070. , , , and .
- 2007a. Evaluation of reproductive costs for Weddell seals in Erebus Bay, Antarctica. J. Anim. Ecol. 76:448–458. , , and .
- 2007b. Influence of maternal characteristics and oceanographic conditions on survival and recruitment probabilities of Weddell seals. Oikos 116:601–613. , , and .
- 2009a. Individual variation in reproductive costs of reproduction: high-quality females always do better. J. Anim. Ecol. 78:143–151. , , , and .
- 2009b. Individual quality, early-life conditions, and reproductive success in contrasted populations of large herbivores. Ecology 90:1981–1995. , , , and .
- 2012a. Maternal allocation in bison: co-occurrence of senescence, cost of reproduction, and individual quality. Ecol. Appl. 22:1628–1639. , , and .
- 2012b. Statistical evaluation of parameters estimating autocorrelation and individual heterogeneity in longitudinal studies. Methods Ecol. Evol. 3:731–742. , , and .
- 2000. Maternal and paternal effects on offspring phenotype in the dung beetle Onthophagus taurus. Evolution 54:936–941. , and .
- 2004. What is genetic quality? Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:329–333. , , , and .
- 2011. Demographic heterogeneity, cohort selection, and population growth. Ecology 92:1985–1993. , , , and .
- 1973. Pulmonary gas exchange in freely diving weddell seals Leptonychotes weddelli. Respir. Physiol. 17:283–290. , , , and .
- 2011. Defining individual quality over lifetimes and selective contexts. Proc. Biol. Sci. 278:321–328. , and .
- 2005. Variation in recruitment and early demography in Pinus rigida following crown fire in the pine barrens of Long Island, New York. J. Ecol. 93:607–617. , , , , and .
- 2009. Effects of individual quality, reproductive success and environmental variability on survival of a long-lived seabird. J. Anim. Ecol. 78:798–806. , , , and .
- 1999. Early development and fitness in birds and mammals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:343–348.
- 2010. Pp. 127–159 in Bayesian inference with ecological applications. Academic Press, London. , and .
- 2002. Model-based estimation of individual fitness. J. Appl. Stat. 29:207–224. , , and .
- 1978. Individual differences between animals and the natural regulation of their numbers. J. Anim. Ecol. 47:461–475.
- 2002. Early development, survival and reproduction in humans. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:141–147. , and .
- 2009. The BUGS project: evolution, critique and future directions. Stat. Med. 28:3049–3067. , , , and .
- 2008. Tabular iceberg collisions within the coastal regime J. Glaciol. 54:371–386. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Compensation for a bad start: grow now, pay later? Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:254–260. , and .
- 1998. The adaptive significance of maternal effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:403–407. , and .
- 2008. Measuring senescence in wild animal populations: towards a longitudinal approach. Funct. Ecol. 22:393–406. , , , and .
- 2003. Sociality and individual fitness in yellow-bellied marmots: insights from a long-term study (1962–2001). Oecologia 136:543–550. , and .
- 2011. Static and dynamic expression of life history traits in the northern fulmar Fulmarus glacialis. Oikos 120:369–380. , , , and .
- 2012. Modeling reproductive trajectories of roe deer females: fixed or dynamic heterogeneity? Theor. Popul. Biol. 82:317–328. , , , and .
- 2012. Covariation in life-history traits: differential effects of diet on condition, hormones, behavior, and reproduction in genetic finch morphs. Am. Nat. 179:375–390. , , , and .
- 2009. An evaluation of density-dependent and density-independent influences on population growth rates in Weddell seals. Ecology 90:975–984. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Evaluating the demographic buffering hypothesis with vital rates estimated for Weddell seals from 30 years of mark–recapture data. J. Anim. Ecol. 81:162–173. , , , , and .
- 1998. Spatial and temporal variability of size-fractionated biomass and primary production in the Ross Sea (Antarctica) during austral spring and summer. J. Mar. Syst. 17:115–127. , , , , and .
- 2011. Full open population capture–recapture models with individual covariates. J. Agric. Biol. Environ. Stat. 16:253–268. , and .
- 2008. Parental provisioning and offspring fitness: size matters. Anim. Behav. 75:291–298. , and .
- 2000. Heterogeneity in individual mortality risk and its importance for evolutionary studies of senescence. Am. Nat. 156:1–13.
- 2009. It's about time: the temporal dynamics of phenotypic selection in the wild. Ecol. Lett. 12:1261–1276. , , and .
- 1977. An analysis of the dynamics of a weddell seal population. Ecol. Monogr. 47:319–335. , , , and .
- 2008. Fitness consequences of personality: a meta-analysis. Behav. Ecol. 19:448–455. , and .
- 2007. Trophic interactions within the Ross Sea continental shelf ecosystem. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 362:95–111. , , and .
- 2002. Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit. J. R. Stat. Soc. Series B (Stat. Methodol.) 64:583–639. , , , and .
- 2010. Dynamic heterogeneity and life history variability in the kittiwake. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:436–444. , , and .
- 2005. Predictors of reproductive cost in female Soay sheep. J. Anim. Ecol. 74:201–213. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Dynamic heterogeneity in life histories. Ecol. Lett. 12:93–106. , , and .
- 1989. Reaction norms in genetical ecology. Bioscience 39:453–458.
- 1986. Allocation of resources: their influence on variation in life history tactics. Am. Nat. 128:137–142. , and .
- 2007. Antler size provides an honest signal of male phenotypic quality in roe deer. Am. Nat. 169:481–493. , , , , , , et al.
- 1985. Heterogeneity's ruses: some surprising effects of selection on population dynamics. Am. Stat. 39:176–185. , and .
- 2008. Individual heterogeneity in vital parameters and demographic stochasticity. Am. Nat. 171:455–467. , , and .
- 2008. Heterogeneity in individual quality overrides costs of reproduction in female reindeer. Oecologia 156:237–247. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Influence of maternal mass and condition on energy transfer in Weddell seals. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:724–733. , , , , and .
- 2008a. Feast or famine: evidence for mixed capital–income breeding strategies in Weddell seals. Oecologia 155:11–20. , , , and .
- 2008b. Differential mobilization of blubber fatty acids in lactating weddell seals: evidence for selective use. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 81:651–662. , , , , and .
- 2004. The cost of foraging by a marine predator, the Weddell seal Leptonychotes weddellii: pricing by the stroke. J. Exp. Biol. 207:973–982. , , , and .
- 2010. What is individual quality? An evolutionary perspective. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25:207–214. , and .
- 1990. The role of male ornaments and courtship behavior in female mate choice of red jungle fowl. Am. Nat. 136:459–473. , , , , , , et al.