Estimating resource selection with count data
Version of Record online: 7 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2233–2240, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2233–2240
- Issue online: 10 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 7 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 19 APR 2013
- Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc.
- 2008. Estimating space-use and habitat preference from wildlife telemetry data. Ecography 31:140–160. , , , , and .
- 2011. A mechanistic model of GPS collar location data: implications for analysis and bias mitigation. Ecol. Model. 222:3616–3625. , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. 2nd ed. Springer, New York, NY. , and .
- 1998. Regression analysis of count data. Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, NY. , and .
- 1993. A multivariate model of female black bear habitat use for a geographic information system. J. Wildl. Manage. 57:519–526. , , and .
- 2009. Regression modelling of correlated data in ecology: subject-specific and population averaged response patterns. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:1018–1025. , , , and .
- 2010. Correlation and studies of habitat selection: problem, red herring or opportunity? Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 365:2233–2244. , , , , and .
- 2005. Wolves influence elk movements: behavior shapes a trophic cascade in Yellowstone National Park. Ecology 86:1320–1330. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Removing GPS collar bias in habitat selection studies. J. Appl. Ecol. 41:201–212. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Application of random effects to the study of resource selection by animals. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:887–898. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Brown bear den habitat and winter recreation in south-central Alaska. J. Wildl. Manage. 74:35–42. , , , , and .
- 2008. Negative binomial regression. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2004. A quantitative approach to conservation planning: using resource selection functions to map the distribution of mountain caribou at multiple spatial scales. J. Appl. Ecol. 41:238–251. , , and .
- 2006. Resource selection functions based on use-availability data: theoretical motivation and evaluation methods. J. Wildl. Manage. 70:347–357. , , , , and .
- 2004. Use and interpretation of logistic regression in habitat-selection studies. J. Wildl. Manage. 68:774–789. , and .
- 2001. Analysis of animal space use and movements. Pp. 126–168 in J. J. Millspaugh and J. M. Marzluff, eds. Radio tracking and animal populations. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , and .
- 2009. Generalized estimating equations and generalized linear mixed-effects models for modelling resource selection. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:590–599. , and .
- 2007. Randomization, bootstrap and Monte Carlo methods in biology. 3rd ed. Chapman and Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2009. Statistics for environmental science and management. 2nd ed. Chapman and Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2002. Resource selection by animals: statistical design and analysis for field studies. 2nd ed. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands. , , , , and .
- 2004. Relating resources to a probabilistic measure of space use: forest fragments and Steller's Jays. Ecology 85:1411–1427. , , , and .
- 2006. Discrete-choice modeling in wildlife studies exemplified by northern spotted owl nighttime habitat selection. J. Wildl. Manage. 70:375–383. , , , and .
- 2006. Analysis of resource selection using utilization distributions. J. Wildl. Manage. 70:384–395. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Applied linear statistical models. 4th ed. MdGraw-Hill, Boston, MA. , , , and .
- 2009. Estimating habitat selection when GPS fix success is less than 100%. Ecology 90:2956–2962. , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2012. The statistical sleuth: a course in methods of data analysis. 3rd ed. Brooks Cole, Salt Lake City, UT. , and .
- 2012. Likelihood analysis of species occurrence probability from presence-only data for modelling species distributions. Methods Ecol. Evol. 3:545–554. , , , and .
- 2006. Winter habitat selection of mule deer before and during development of a natural gas field. J. Wildl. Manage. 70:396–403. , , , and .
- 2009. Influence of well pad activity on winter habitat selection patterns of mule deer. J. Wildl. Manage. 73:1052–1061. , , and .
- 2006. Study designs and tests for comparing resource use and availability II. J. Wildl. Manage. 70:324–336. , and .
- 2006. A Bayesian random effects discrete-choice model for resource selection: population-level selection inference. J. Wildl. Manage. 70:404–412. , , and .
- 2002. Modern applied statistics with S. 4th ed. Spring-Verlag, New York, NY. , and .
- 1996. Analysis of frequency count data using the negative binomial distribution. Ecology 77:2549–2557. , and .
- 1993. Protocols for care and handling of deer and elk at the Starkey Experimental Forest and Range. USDA Forest Service Pacific Northwest Research Station PNW-GTR-311, Portland, OR. , , , and .
- 2005. Overview of the Starkey Project: mule deer and elk research for management benefits. Pp. 17–28 in M. Wisdom, ed. The Starkey project: a synthesis of long-term studies of elk and mule deer. Alliance Communications Group, Lawrence, KS. , , , and .