Genetic by environment interactions affect plant–soil linkages
Article first published online: 12 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2322–2333, July 2013
Total views since publication: 547
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2322–2333
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 12 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 JAN 2013
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: DEB-0743437
- 2010. Intraspecific functional variability: extent, structure and sources of variation. J. Ecol. 98:604–613. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. From genes to ecosystems: synthesizing the effects of plant genetic factors across systems. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 364:1607–1616. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. From genes to geography: a genetic similarity rule for arthropod community structure at multiple geographic scales. Mol. Ecol. 15:4215–4228. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Aboveground–belowground linkages: biotic interactions, ecosystem processes, and global change. Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K. p. 320. , and .
- 2005. Soil feedbacks of plant diversity on soil microbial communities and subsequent plant growth. Perspect. Plant Ecol. Evol. Syst. 7:27–49. , , , , and .
- 2010. Quantifying the relevance of intraspecific trait variability for functional diversity. Methods Ecol. Evol. 2:163–174. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Why do tree species affect soils? The Warp and Woof of tree-soil interactions. Biogeochemistry 42:89–106. , and .
- 2008. Variation among Eucalyptus trees depends on genetic variation and resource supply. Ecology 89:2850–2859. , , and .
- 2008. Microbes on mountainsides: contrasting elevational patterns of bacterial and plant diversity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105:11505–11511. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Including intraspecific variability in functional diversity. Ecology 90:81–89. , , , and .
- 2010. Individuals and the variation needed for high species diversity in forest trees. Science 327:1129–1132.
- 2004. A primer of ecological genetics. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2006. Plant genotypic diversity predicts community structure and governs an ecosystem process. Science 313:966–968. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Disparate effects of host-plant genotypic diversity on above- and below ground communities. Oecologia 158:65–78. , , , and .
- 2003. Effect of exotic plant invasions on soil nutrient cycling processes. Ecosystems 6:503–523.
- 1998. Canopy tree-soil interactions within temperate forests: species effects on soil carbon and nitrogen. Ecol. Appl. 8:440–446. , , and .
- 2010. Soil nitrogen availability varies with plant genetics across diverse river drainages. Plant Soil 331:391–400. , , , , and .
- 1986. Particle size analysis. Pp. 383–411 in A. Klute, ed. Methods of soil analysis. Part 1. Physical and mineralogical methods. 2nd ed. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, WI. , and .
- 2011. Genetic variation and community change-selection, evolution and feedbacks. Funct. Ecol. 25:408–419. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Welcome to the neighborhood: interspecific genotype by genotype interactions in Solidago influence above- and belowground biomass and associated communities. Ecol. Lett. 15:65–73. , , and .
- 1989. Choosing appropriate methods and standards for assaying tannin. J. Chem. Ecol. 15:1795–1810. , and .
- 1994. Nitrogen mineralization, immobilization and nitrification. Pp. 985–1018 in S. H. Mickelson, ed. Methods of soil analysis, Part 2. Soil Science Society of America Book Series, no. 5. Soil Science Society of America, Madison, WI. , , , and .
- 1993. Soil reactions and exchangeable acidity. Pp. 141–146 in M. Carter, ed. Soil sampling and methods of analysis. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL. , , and .
- 1992. Effects of plant species on nutrient cycling. Trends Ecol. Evol. 7:336–339.
- E. C. Adair, B. J. Cardinale, J. E. Byrnes, B. A. Hungate, K. L. Matulich, et al. 2012. A global synthesis reveals biodiversity loss as a major driver of ecosystem change. Nature 486:105–108. ,
- 2008. Ecological consequences of genetic diversity. Ecol. Lett. 11:609–623. , , , , and .
- 2005. Plant genotype and environment interact to shape a diverse arthropod community on evening primrose (Oenotherabiennis). Ecology 86:874–885. , and .
- 2007. An emerging synthesis between community ecology and evolutionary biology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22:250–257. , and .
- 2006. Additive and interactive effects of plant genotypic diversity on arthropod communities and plant fitness. Ecol. Lett. 9:24–34. , , and .
- 1989. Genetic analysis of an interspecific hybrid swarm of Populus: occurrence of unidirectional introgression. Genetics 123:557–565. , , , and .
- 2011. Plant-soil feedbacks contribute to an intransitive competitive network that promotes both genetic and species diversity. J. Ecol. 99:176–185. , , , and .
- 2008. Nitrogen limitation of net primary productivity in terrestrial is globally distributed. Ecology 89:371–379. , and .
- 2002. Effects of genotype and nutrient availability on phytochemistry of trembling aspen (Populustremuloides Michx.) during leaf senescence. Biochem. Syst. Ecol. 30:297–307. , , , and .
- 2009. Genetics of aboveground productivity in two riparian tree species and their hybrids. Tree Physiol. 29:1133–1142. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Genetic components to belowground carbon fluxes in a riparian forest ecosystem: a common garden approach. New Phytol. 195:631–639. , , , , and .
- 2002. Phenotypic diversity influences ecosystem functioning in an oak sandhills community. Ecology 83:2084–2090. , and .
- 2003. Intraspecific litter diversity and nitrogen deposition affect nutrient dynamics and soil respiration. Oecologia 136:124–128. , and .
- 2011. Soil microbial communities adapt to genetic variation in leaf litter inputs. Oikos 120:1696–1704. , and .
- 2006. Genetic identity of Populus tremuloides litter influences decomposition and nutrient release in a mixed forest stand. Ecosystems 9:528–537. , , and .
- 2007. Canopy herbivory mediates the influence of plant genotype on soil processes through frass deposition. Soil Biol. Biochem. 39:1192–1201. , , and .
- 2009. Genetic mosaics of ecosystem functioning across aspen-dominated landscapes. Oecologia 160:119–127. , , and .
- 2001. Hybrid populations selectively filter gene introgression between species. Evolution 55:1325–1335. , , , and .
- 1975. A wet oxidation procedure suitable for the determination of nitrogen and mineral nutrients in biological material. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 6:1–11. , and .
- 2010. Soils as agents of selection: feedbacks between plants and soils alter seedling survival and performance. Evol. Ecol. 24:1045–1059. , , , and .
- 2006. Developmental trajectories in cottonwood phytochemistry. J. Chem. Ecol. 32:2269–2285. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Plant genotype mediates the effects of nutrients on aphids. Oecologia 163:675–679. , , and .
- 2004. Genetically based trait in a dominant tree affects ecosystem processes. Ecol. Lett. 7:127–134. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. The interaction of plant genotype and herbivory decelerate leaf litter decomposition and alter nutrient dynamics. Oikos 110:133–145. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Soil microorganism-plant interactions; heritable relationship between plant genotype and associated microorganisms. Ecology 89:773–781. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Forest gene diversity influences the composition and function of soil microbial communities. Popul. Ecol. 53:35–46. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012a. Functional and heritable consequences of plant genotype on community composition and ecosystem processes in , , and , eds. Interaction richness and complexity: ecological and evolutionary aspects of trait-mediated indirect interactions. British Ecological Society (in press). , , , , , and .
- 2012b. From genes to ecosystems: how plant genetics links above- and below-ground processes. Pp. 82–98 in D. Wall, ed. Soil ecology and ecosystem services. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , , , and .
- 2010. A geographic mosaic of trophic interactions and selection: trees, aphids, birds. J. Evol. Biol. 24:422–429. , , , and .
- 2012. Fitness consequences of intra-specific plant-soil feedback. Plant Soil 352:243–251. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Spatial location dominates of host plant genotype in structuring an herbivore community. Ecology 91:2660–2672. , , , and .
- 2005. The geographic mosaic of coevolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1997. The influence of functional diversity and composition on ecosystem processes. Science 277:1300–1302. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Biodiversity impacts ecosystem productivity as much as resources, disturbance, or herbivory. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109:10394–10397. , , and .
- 2011. Plant genotype and nitrogen loading influence seagrass productivity, biochemistry and plant-herbivore interactions. Ecology 92:1807–1817. , , , , , and .
- 2007. The co-evolutionary genetics of ecological communities. Nat. Rev. Genet. 8:185–195.
- 2006. Response of microbial community composition and function to soil climate change. Microb. Ecol. 52:716–724. , and .
- 2006. A framework for community and ecosystem genetics: from genes to ecosystems. Nat. Rev. Genet. 7:510–523. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Compositional and functional shifts in microbial communities due to soil warming. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 61:475–478. , , , , , and .