Genetic structure of the white-footed mouse in the context of the emergence of Lyme disease in southern Québec
Article first published online: 3 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2075–2088, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2075–2088
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 3 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 26 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 FEB 2013
- Québec Ministère des Ressources Naturelles et de la Faune
- Québec Centre for Biodiversity Science
- 2003. Effect of forest fragmentation on Lyme disease risk. Conserv. Biol. 17:267–272. , , and .
- 2008. Climate change, weather variability and corn yield at a higher latitude locale: Southwestern Quebec. Clim. Change 88:187–197. , , , , and .
- 2005. Identification and characterization of protective antigens for control of Ixodes scapularis infestations. PhD Thesis, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater. .
- 2010. Genetic estimates of immigration and emigration rates in relation to population density and forest patch area in Peromyscus leucopus. Conserv. Genet. 11:1593–1605. , and .
- 2006. Annual variation in habitat use by white-footed mice, Peromyscus leucopus: the effects of forest patch size, edge and surrounding vegetation type. Can. Field-Nat. 120:192–198. , , , and .
- 2012. P. 29 in Impacts of climate change on the biodiversity of Quebec: literature review summary. CSBQ, MDDEP, Ouranos, Montreal, Canada. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Urban habitat: a determinant of white-footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus) abundance in southern Illinois. Southeast. Nat. 2:369–376. , , , and .
- 2002. MIGRATE (version 3.2.19) – documentation and program. Available at http://popgen.sc.fsu.edu/Migrate/Migrate-n.html (accessed May 17, 2013). .
- 2011. Associations between Ixodes scapularis ticks and small mammal hosts in a newly endemic zone in southeastern Canada: implications for Borrelia burgdorferi transmission. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2:183–190. , , , et al.
- 2005. Effect of climate change on Lyme disease risk in North America. EcoHealth 2:38–46. , , and .
- 2008. Multiple causes of variable tick burdens on small mammal hosts. Ecology 89:2259–2272. , and .
- 2005. Microsatellite variation and evolution in the Peromyscus maniculatus species group. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 34:408–415. , , and .
- 2001. Influence of roads on movements of small mammals. Southwest. Nat. 46:338–344. , , and .
- 1994. Agricultural influences on movement patterns of white-footed mice (Peromyscus leucopus). Am. Midl. Nat. 132:209–218. , and .
- 2001. Deer mice: “The Drosophila of North American mammalogy”. Genesis 29:105–109. , and .
- 2008. Post-agricultural forests: landscape patterns add to stand-scale factors in causing insufficient hardwood regeneration. For. Ecol. Manage. 255:1637–1646. , , and .
- 1993. P. 443 in An introduction to the bootstrap. Chapman & Hall/CRC, New York. , and .
- 2012. What do we need to know about disease ecology to prevent Lyme disease in the northeastern United States? J. Med. Entomol. 49:11–22. , , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin version 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2012. The role of gene flow asymmetry along an environmental gradient in constraining local adaptation and range expansion. J. Evol. Biol. 25:1676–1685. , , , , and .
- 1994. Habitat use and distribution of the mice Peromyscus leucopus and P. maniculatus on Mount Desert Island, Maine. Can. Field-Nat. 108:67–71. , , and .
- 1995. Fstat version 1.2: a computer program to calculate Fstatistics. J. Hered. 86:485–486.
- Government of Canada, Public Health Agency of Canada. 2012. Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases: information for health professionals. Available at http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/tickinfo-eng.php (accessed May 17, 2013).
- 1976. An 11-year study of small mammal populations at Mont St. Hilaire Quebec. Can. J. Zool. 54:2156–2173.
- 2007. Evaluating effects of low quality habitats on regional population growth in Peromyscus leucopus: insights from field-parameterized spatial matrix models. Landscape Ecol. 22:45–60. , and .
- 2010. Ecological factors characterizing the prevalence of bacterial tick-borne pathogens in Ixodes ricinus ticks in pastures and woodlands. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 76:4413–4420. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Isolation by distance, web service. BMC Genet. 6:13. , , and .
- 2006. Maximum likelihood estimation of the frequency of null alleles at microsatellite loci. Conserv. Genet. 7:991–995. , and .
- 1990. Pp. 199–252 in Agglomerative nesting (program AGNES) in finding groups in data: an introduction to cluster analysis. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ. , and .
- 2004. Riverine peninsulas: an experimental approach to homing in white-footed mice (Peromyscus leucopus). Am. Midl. Nat. 151:408–413. , , , and .
- 2012. Effect of habitat gradients on space use by white-footed mice (Peromyscus leucopus). J. Mammal. 93:706–715. , and .
- 1999. Demography of Peromyscus leucopus populations on habitat patches: the role of dispersal. Can. J. Zool. 77:1247–1253. , and .
- 1984. An analysis of dispersal in an unmanipulated population of Peromyscus leucopus. Am. Midl. Nat. 112:146–156. , , and .
- 1999. Distance-based redundancy analysis: testing multispecies responses in multifactorial ecological experiments. Ecol. Monogr. 69:1–24. , and .
- 2010. Comparison of the Mantel test and alternative approaches for detecting complex multivariate relationships in the spatial analysis of genetic data. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:831–844. , and .
- 2012. P. 1006 in Numerical ecology, 3rd English edition. Elsevier, Amsterdam. , and .
- 2012. Predicting the speed of tick invasion: an empirical model of range expansion for the Lyme disease vector Ixodes scapularis in Canada. J. Appl. Ecol. 49:457–464. , , , , and .
- 2012. Effects of habitat disturbance on a Peromyscus leucopus (Rodentia: Cricetidae) population in western Pennsylvania. J. Mammal. 93:211–219. , , , and .
- 2003. The ecology of infectious disease: effects of host diversity and community composition on Lyme disease risk. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 100:567–571. , , and .
- 2008. Impact of host community on Lyme disease risk. Ecology 89:2841–2849. , , , et al.
- 1998. Dispersal abilities and genetic population structure of insular and mainland Oryzomys palustris and Peromyscus leucopus. J. Mammal. 79:66–77. , , , and .
- 2012. cluster: cluster analysis extended. R package version 2.10. Available at http://cran.r-project.org/package=cluster (accessed May 17, 2013). .
- 2002. Long-distance movements by female white-footed mice, Peromyscus lecopus, in extensive mixed-wood forest. Can. Field-Nat. 116:108–111.
- 2007. Pp. 1–8 in A note on the ability of STRUCTURE to correctly infer the number of populations for Bering-Chukchi-Beaufort Seas bowhead whales. Unpublished report (SC/59/BRG34) presented to the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission, Cambridge. Available at http://www.iwcoffice.co.uk_documents/sci_com/SC59docs/SC-59-BRG34.pdf (accessed May 17, 2013). , , and .
- 1989. Comparing the relative potential of rodents as reservoirs of the Lyme disease spirochete (Borrelia burgdorferi). Am. J. Epidemiol. 130:143–150. , , , , and .
- 2003. The effect of traffic volume on translocated small mammal movement. Pp. 394–396 in C. Irwin, P. Garrett and K. McDermott, eds. International conference on ecology & transportation. Raleigh, NC. , , , and .
- 2011. Movement of small mammals across divided highways with vegetated medians. Can. J. Zool. 89:1214–1222. , , and .
- 1990. Corridor use by small mammals: field measurement for three experimental types of Peromyscus leucopus. Landscape Ecol. 4:123–131. , and .
- 1989. Barriers as boundaries for metapopulations and demes of Peromyscus leucopus in farm landscapes. Landscape Ecol. 2:227–235. , , , and .
- 1981. Woodland mice in a farmland mosaic. J. Appl. Ecol. 18:703–710. , and .
- 2004. Reciprocating dispersal by habitat-selecting white-footed mice. Oikos 107:549–558. , and .
- 2001. Effects of habitat fragmentation on population genetic structure in the white-footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus). Can. J. Zool. 79:285–295. , and .
- MRNQ. 2000. Ministère des Ressources naturelles du Québec (MRNQ), Système d'information écoforestière (SIEF). Forêt Québec, Direction des inventaires forestiers, Québec, QC.
- 2012. Urban landscape genetics: canopy cover predicts gene flow between white-footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus) populations in New York City. Mol. Ecol. 21:1360–1378.
- 2010. Rapid, pervasive genetic differentiation of urban white-footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus) populations in New York City. Mol. Ecol. 19:4242–4254. , and .
- 2005. Climate change and the distribution of Peromyscus in Michigan: is global warming already having an impact? Pp. 101–126 in and , eds. Mammalian diversification: from chromosomes to phylogeography (a celebration of the career of James L. Patton), Vol. 133, University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. , , and .
- 2009. Climate-induced changes in the small mammal communities of the Northern Great Lakes Region. Glob. Change Biol. 15:1434–1454. , , , , and .
- 1996. Effect of forest patch area on population attributes of white-footed mice (Peromyscus leucopus) in fragmented landscapes. Can. J. Zool. 74:467–472. , and .
- 1998. Effects of forest fragmentation on population attributes of white-footed mice and eastern chipmunks. J. Mammal. 79:1234–1243. , and .
- 2005. A dynamic population model to investigate effects of climate on geographic range and seasonality of the tick Ixodes scapularis. Int. J. Parasitol. 35:375–389. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Climate change and the potential for range expansion of the Lyme disease vector Ixodes scapularis in Canada. Int. J. Parasitol. 36:63–70. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Risk maps for range expansion of the Lyme disease vector, Ixodes scapularis, in Canada now and with climate change. Int. J. Health Geogr. 7:1–15. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Active and passive surveillance and phylogenetic analysis of Borrelia burgdorferi elucidate the process of Lyme disease risk emergence in Canada. Environ. Health Perspect. 118:909–914. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Investigation of genotypes of Borrelia burgdorferi in Ixodes scapularis ticks collected in surveillance in Canada. Appl. Environ. Biol. 77:3244–3254. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. vegan: community ecology package. R package version 2.0-5. Available at http://cran.r-project.org/package=vegan (accessed May 17, 2013). , , , , , , et al.
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. 2012. Ontario's forest regions: Great Lakes – St. Lawrence forest, Ontario Government. Available at http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Forests/2ColumnSubPage/STDPROD_091288.html (accessed May 17, 2013).
- 2011. P. 216in Lyme disease: the ecology of a complex system. Oxford Univ. Press Inc., New York, NY.
- 2000. Biodiversity and disease risk: the case of Lyme disease. Conserv. Biol. 14:722–728. , and .
- 1985. Local distribution and coexistence of two species of Peromyscus in Vermont. J. Mammal. 66:36–44. , and .
- 1993. Winter acclimatization in Peromyscus maniculatus gracilis, P. leucopus noveboracensis, and P. l. leucopus. J. Mammal. 74:665–677. , and .
- 2004. GENECLASS2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. J. Hered. 95:536–539. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2010. Documentation for structure software: Version 2.3. Available at http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/structure.html (accessed May 17, 2013). , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94:9197–9201. , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86:248–249. , and .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 2011. PopGenKit: useful functions for (batch) file conversion and data resampling in microsatellite datasets. R package version 1.0. http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/PopGenKit/index.html (accessed May 17, 2013). .
- 2008. Genepop'007: a complete reimplementation of the Genepop software for Windows and Linux. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:103–106.
- 1989. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Chapter 6 - Preparation and Analysis of Eukaryotic Genomic DNA. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY. , , and .
- 1973. A stream as a barrier to homing in Peromyscus leucopus. J. Mammal. 54:982–984.
- 1999. Variation and congruence of microsatellite markers for Peromyscus leucopus. J. Mammal. 2:522–529.
- 2011. Borrelia burgdorferi has minimal impact on the Lyme disease reservoir host Peromyscus leucopus. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 11:117–124. , , , and .
- 1995. Making a case for molecular population genetic studies of arthropod vectors. Parasitol. Today 11:27–30. , and .
- 2004. A new method to discriminate the deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus) from the white-footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus) using species-specific primers in multiplex PCR. Can. J. Zool. 82:1832–1835. , , and .
- 2009. Maladie de Lyme. Institut National de Santé Publique du Québec, Gouvernement du Québec, N° de publication: 1042. , and .
- 1995. Controlling Lyme disease by modifying the density and species composition of tick hosts. Ecol. Appl. 5:1133–1140. , and .
- 2004. Micro-checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 1988. Deux siècles de croissance agricole au Québec, 1760–1985. Rech. Sociogr. 29:181–199.
- 1990. Use of spatial elements in a farmland mosaic by a woodland rodent. Biol. Conserv. 54:263–276. , and .
- 2005. Disease ecology and the global emergence of zoonotic pathogens. Environ. Health Prev. Med. 10:263–272. , and .
- 2005. The effects of forest fragmentation on densities of white-footed mice (Peromyscus leucopus) during the winter. Am. Midl. Nat. 153:71–79. , , and .
- 1992. Dynamics of a small mammal community in a fragmented forest. Am. Midl. Nat. 127:381–391.