Genotypic and phenotypic variation in transmission traits of a complex life cycle parasite
Article first published online: 4 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2116–2127, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2116–2127
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 4 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 30 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 FEB 2013
- Academy of Finland. Grant Numbers: 121993, 263864
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 31003A_129961
- 1999. Life history interactions with environmental conditions in a host-parasite relationship and the parasite's mode of transmission. Evol. Ecol. 13:67–89. , and .
- 2010. Inferred relatedness and heritability in malaria parasites. Proc. Biol. Sci. 277:2531–2540. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Allocating resources to reproduction and defense. Bioscience 37:58–67. , , , and .
- 2004. Virulence reaction norms across a food gradient. Proc. Biol. Sci. 271:739–744. , , , and .
- 1994. Behaviors in trematode cercariae that enhance parasite transmission - patterns and processes. Parasitology 109:S3–S13. , , , and .
- 2010. Epigenetic and phenotypic variability in populations of Schistosoma mansoni - a possible kick-off for adaptive host/parasite evolution. Oikos 119:669–678. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Trade-offs in the evolution of virulence in an indirectly transmitted macroparasite. Proc. Biol. Sci. 268:251–257. , , and .
- 2008. Phenotypic diversity as an adaptation to environmental uncertainty. Evol. Ecol. Res. 10:493–515. , , and .
- 2000. Dose effects and density-dependent regulation of two microparasites of Daphnia magna. Oecologia 122:200–209.
- 2004. The evolution of virulence when parasites cause host castration and gigantism. Am. Nat. 164:S19–S32. , , , and .
- 2000. Variation in life-history traits of Plasmodium mexicanum, a malaria parasite infecting western fence lizards: a longitudinal study. Can. J. Zool. 78:1230–1237.
- 2000. Life history of a malaria parasite (Plasmodium mexicanum): independent traits and basis for variation. Proc. Biol. Sci. 267:793–799. , and .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. Pearson, Harlow. , and .
- 2002. Optimal infection strategies: should macroparasites hedge their bets? Oikos 96:92–101. , and .
- 1988. Trematodes, their life cycles, biology and evolution. Amerind, New Delhi.
- 2007. Environmental influence on the genetic correlations between life-history traits in Caenorhabditis elegans. Heredity 98:206–213. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Physiological analyses of host-finding behavior in trematode cercariae - adaptations for transmission success. Parasitology 109:S15–S29.
- 1999. Risk-spreading and bet-hedging in insect population biology. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 44:535–560.
- 1999. Effect of starvation on parasite-induced mortality in a freshwater snail (Potamopyrgus antipodarum). Oecologia 119:320–325. , , , and .
- 2005. Virulence of parasites in hosts under environmental stress: experiments with anoxia and starvation. Oikos 108:156–164. , , , and .
- 2008. Effect of eye fluke infection on the growth of whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus) - an experimental approach. Aquaculture 279:6–10. , and .
- 2003. Transmission, infectivity and survival of Diplostomum spathaceum cercariae. Parasitology 127:217–224. , , , and .
- 2004a. Patterns of cercarial production from Diplostomum spathaceum: terminal investment or bet hedging? Parasitology 129:87–92. , , , and .
- 2004b. Eye fluke-induced cataract formation in fish: quantitative analysis using an ophthalmological microscope. Parasitology 129:473–478. , , and .
- 1997. The effect of diet and reproductive maturity on the growth and reproduction of Helisoma anceps (Pulmonata) infected by Halipegus occidualis (Trematoda). J. Parasitol. 83:96–104. , and .
- 1989. Dynamics of the intramolluscan larval development of Schistosoma haematobium: replication of daughter sporocysts and cercarial production. J. Helminthol. 63:1–5. , and .
- 2011. Intra- and interclonal phenotypic and genetic variability of the trematode Maritrema novaezealandensis. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 103:106–116. , , , and .
- 2004. Effects of host condition on susceptibility to infection, parasite developmental rate, and parasite transmission in a snail-trematode interaction. J. Evol. Biol. 17:33–40. , , , and .
- 2005. Phenotypic diversity, population growth, and information in fluctuating environments. Science 309:2075–2078. , and .
- 2005. The impact of host starvation on parasite development and population dynamics in an intestinal trypanosome parasite of bumble bees. Parasitology 130:637–642. , , and .
- 2010. Is the population genetic structure of complex life cycle parasites determined by the geographic range of the most motile host? Infect. Genet. Evol. 10:1271–1277. , , , and .
- 1999. Genetic relationships between parasite virulence and transmission in the rodent malaria Plasmodium chabaudi. Evolution 53:689–703. , and .
- 1988. The Ecological context of life-history evolution. Science 241:1449–1455. , and .
- 1996. The evolution of life history strategies in parasitic animals. Adv. Parasitol. 37:107–134.
- 2007. Evolutionary ecology of parasites. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 2004. Host starvation decreases parasite load and mean host size in experimental populations. Ecology 85:823–833. , and .
- 2009. Plastic parasites: sophisticated strategies for survival and reproduction? Evol. Appl. 2:11–23. , , and .
- 2011. Analysis of trematode parasite communities in fish eye lenses by pyrosequencing of naturally pooled DNA. Infect. Genet. Evol. 11:1276–1286. , , , and .
- 2004. Polymorphic microsatellite loci for the trematode Diplostomum pseudospathaceum. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:577–579. , , and .
- 2013. Genetic compatibilities, outcrossing rates and fitness consequences across life stages of the trematode Diplostomum pseudospathaceum. Int. J. Parasitol. 43:485–491. , , , and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories: theory and analysis. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 2003. Effects of diet and Echinostoma revolutum infection on energy allocation patterns in juvenile Lymnaea elodes snails. Oecologia 134:479–486. , and .
- 2007. Phenotypic variation in infectivity of Diplostomum spathaceum cercariae within a population. J. Parasitol. 93:1244–1246. , , and .
- 2008. Host condition as a constraint for parasite reproduction. Oikos 17:749–753. , , , and .
- 2010. Eye fluke-induced cataracts in natural fish populations: is there potential for host manipulation? Parasitology 138:209–214. , , and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1989. Schistosoma rodhaini: dynamics and cercarial production for mono- and pluri-miracidial infections of Biomphalaria glabrata. J. Helminthol. 63:79–83. , and .
- 2007. Host condition and host immunity affect parasite fitness in a bird-ectoparasite system. Funct. Ecol. 21:372–378. , , , and .
- 1991. The genetic structure of host plant adaptation in a spatial patchwork: demographic variability among reciprocally transplanted pea aphid clones. Evolution 45:827–852.
- 2005. Positive genetic correlations among major life-history traits related to ecological success in the aphid Myzus persicae. Evolution 59:1006–1015.
- 1988. Schistosoma mansoni: relationship between cercarial production levels and snail host susceptibility. Exp. Parasitol. 66:78–85. , , , and .