Inbreeding reveals mode of past selection on male reproductive characters in Drosophila melanogaster
Article first published online: 3 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2089–2102, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2089–2102
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 3 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 3 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 MAR 2013
- Academy of Finland. Grant Numbers: 135684, 250999
- Ella and Georg Ehrnrooth's Foundation
- U.S. National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: DEB-0814732, DEB-1021240
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Number: PBSKP3_130878
- 2009. Strong inbreeding depression in male mating behaviour in a poeciliid fish. J. Evol. Biol. 22:1396–1406. , , , and .
- 2011. No evidence for postcopulatory inbreeding avoidance in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 65:2699–2705. , , , and .
- 1997. Rearing in different light regimes affects courtship behaviour in Drosophila melanogaster. Anim. Behav. 53:25–38. , , and .
- 1998. Cryptic female choice: criteria for establishing female sperm choice. Evolution 52:1212–1218.
- 2004. Nontransitivity of paternity in a bird. Evolution 58:416–420. , , , , and .
- 2006. Intensity of sexual selection along the anisogamy-isogamy continuum. Nature 441:742–745. , and .
- 2007. Complex interactions with females and rival males limit the evolution of sperm offence and defence. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 274:1779–1788. , , , , and .
- 2010. Inbreeding depression of sexually selected traits and attractiveness in the zebra finch. Anim. Behav. 79:947–955. , , , and .
- 2011. Sperm number and velocity affect sperm competition success in the guppy (Poecilia reticulata). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 65:813–821. , , and .
- 1981. Genetic variation and genetic load due to the male reproductive component of fitness in Drosophila. Genetics 97:719–730.
- 1972. Dynamics of polymorphisms. 1. Selection components in an experimental population of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 71:439–460. , and .
- 2000. The role of male accessory gland protein Acp36DE in sperm competition in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267:1097–1105. , , , and .
- 2009. Fundamental concepts in genetics: the genetics of inbreeding depression. Nat. Rev. Gen. 10:783–796. , and .
- 2001. Negative genetic correlation for adult fitness between sexes reveals ontogenetic conflict in Drosophila. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 98:1671–1675. , , and .
- 2002. Sperm competition and the maintenance of polymorphism. Heredity 88:148–153.
- 1998. Female genotypes affect sperm displacement in Drosophila. Genetics 149:1487–1493. , and .
- 1999. Female × male interactions in Drosophila sperm competition. Science 283:217–220. , , and .
- 1999. A comparison of inbreeding depression in life-history and morphological traits in animals. Evolution 53:1288–1292. , and .
- 2009. Analysis of longitudinal data. Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K. , , , and .
- 1996. Female control: sexual selection by cryptic female choice. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2006. Possible negative effects of inbreeding on semen quality in Shetland pony stallions. Theriogenology 65:1159–1170. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Inbreeding depression in Nigella degenii (Ranunculaceae): fitness components compared with morphological and phenological characters. Int. J. Plant Sci. 165:1055–1061. , and .
- 2010. Sex-specific effects of inbreeding in wild-caught Drosophila melanogaster under benign and stressful conditions. J. Evol. Biol. 23:2309–2323. , and .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. Longman, London, U.K. , and .
- 2009. Reduced heterozygosity impairs sperm quality in endangered mammals. Biol. Lett. 5:320–323. , and .
- 2007. Associations between sperm competition and natural variation in male reproductive genes on the third chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 176:1245–1260. , , and .
- 2002. Introduction to conservation genetics. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , , and .
- 2010. Sperm competitive ability and indices of lifetime reproductive success. Evolution 64:2746–2757. , , , , and .
- 2004. Spermatozoal traits and sperm competition in Atlantic salmon: relative sperm velocity is the primary determinant of fertilization success. Curr. Biol. 14:44–47. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Reduced heterozygosity depresses sperm quality in wild rabbits, Oryctolagus cuniculus. Curr. Biol. 16:612–617. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Sperm viability matters in insect sperm competition. Curr. Biol. 15:271–275. , and .
- 2000. A comparative study of ejaculate traits in three endangered ungulates with different levels of inbreeding: fluctuating asymmetry as an indicator of reproductive and genetic stress. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267:875–882. , , and .
- 2008. Attractive males have greater success in sperm competition. Curr. Biol. 18:R553–R554. , , , , and .
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130:195–204.
- 1995. The inbreeding decline and average dominance of genes affecting male life-history characters in Drosophila melanogaster. Genet. Res. 65:41–52.
- 1997. Quantitative genetics of sperm precedence in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 145:139–151.
- 2009. Females prefer the scent of outbred males: good-genes-as-heterozygosity? BMC Evol. Biol. 9:104. , , , and .
- 2011. Resolving variation in the reproductive tradeoff between sperm size and number. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108:5325–5330. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Captivity masks inbreeding effects on male mating success in butterflies. Nature 424:191–194. , and .
- 2002. Inbreeding effects in wild populations. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:230–241. , and .
- 2010. Inbreeding, energy use and sexual signaling. Evol. Ecol. 24:761–772. , and .
- 2012. Inbreeding depression in the effects of body mass on energy use. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 105:309–317. , and .
- Manipulating genetic architecture to reveal fitness relationships. Proc. Peerage Sci. , , and . in press.
- 2005. Effect of inbreeding and heritability of sperm competition success in the bulb mite Rhizoglyphus robini. Heredity 94:577–581. , , and .
- 1985. The evolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression in plants. I. Genetic models. Evolution 39:24–40. , and .
- 2011. Male Drosophila melanogaster adjust ejaculate size based on female mating status, fecundity, and age. Behav. Ecol. 22:184–191. , , , , and .
- 2012. How multivariate ejaculate traits determine competitive fertilization success in Drosophila melanogaster. Curr. Biol. 22:1667–1672. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 1985. A quantitative genetic analysis of fitness and its components in Drosophila melanogaster. Genet. Res. 47:59–70.
- 2011. Inbreeding reveals stronger net selection on Drosophila melanogaster males: implications for mutation load and the fitness of sexual females. Heredity 106:994–1002. , and .
- 2010. Resolving mechanisms of competitive fertilization success in Drosophila melanogaster. Science 328:354–357. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Rapid diversification of sperm precedence traits and processes among three sibling Drosophila species. Evolution. doi: 10.1111/evo.12117 , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The effects of inbreeding on testicular sperm concentration in Peromyscus polionotus. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 14:63–67. , and .
- 2006. The effects of inbreeding on male courtship behaviour and coloration in guppies. Ethology 112:807–814. , , , and .
- 1991. Mating propensity and courtship behavior in serially bottlenecked lines of the housefly. Evolution 45:293–306. , and .
- 2012. Inbreeding in three-spined sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus L.): effects on testis and sperm traits. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 107:510–520. , , , and .
- 2010. Inbreeding depresses sperm competitiveness, but not fertilization or mating success in male Tribolium castaneum. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 277:3483–3491. , , , , and .
- 2002. Sperm-female coevolution in Drosophila. Science 298:1230–1233. , and .
- 1993. Inbreeding depression and male mating behavior in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetica 88:29–36. , , and .
- 2005. Patterns of sperm precedence are not affected by female mating history in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 59:2608–2615. , , and .
- 2008. Hemiclonal analysis reveals significant genetic, environmental and genotype × environment effects on sperm size in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 21:1692–1702. , , and .
- 2006. Realistic levels of inbreeding depression strongly affect extinction risk in wild populations. Biol. Conserv. 133:42–51. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Male attractiveness, fertility and susceptibility to oxidative stress are influenced by inbreeding in Drosophila simulans. J. Evol. Biol. 24:363–371. , , , , and .
- 2003. Inbreeding depression and genetic load of sexually selected traits: how the guppy lost its spots. J. Evol. Biol. 16:273–281. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Sperm length influences fertilization success during sperm competition in the snail Viviparus ater. Mol. Ecol. 12:485–492. , , , and .
- 1970. Sperm competition and its evolutionary consequences in insects. Biol. Rev. 45:525–567.
- 1985. Male mating success and fertility in Drosophila melanogaster. Genet. Res. 46:279–285. , , and .
- 2006. Mechanisms underlying the sperm quality advantage in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 60:2064–2080. , , , and .
- 1996. Investment in testes and the cost of making long sperm in Drosophila. Am. Nat. 148:57–80.
- 2000. Criteria for demonstrating female sperm choice. Evolution 54:1052–1056. , and .
- 1994. Large-male advantages associated with costs of sperm production in Drosophila hydei, a species with giant sperm. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 91:9277–9281. , and .
- 1995. Delayed male maturity is a cost of producing large sperm in Drosophila. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 92:10614–10618. , , and .
- 1999. Evolution of multiple kinds of female sperm-storage organs in Drosophila. Evolution 53:1804–1822. , , and .
- 2003. Ejaculate-female coevolution in Drosophila mojavensis. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270:1507–1512. , , , and .
- 2009a. Sperm morphological diversity. Pp. 69–149 in T. R. Birkhead, D. J. Hosken, and S. Pitnick, eds. Sperm biology: an evolutionary perspective. Elsevier, London, U.K. , , and .
- 2009b. Ejaculate-female and sperm-female interactions. Pp. 247–304 in T. R. Birkhead, D. J. Hosken, and S. Pitnick, eds. Sperm biology: an evolutionary perspective. Elsevier, London, U.K. , , and .
- 2009. Sperm competition and sperm phenotype. Pp. 207–245 in T. R. Birkhead, D. J. Hosken, and S. Pitnick, eds. Sperm biology: an evolutionary perspective. Elsevier, London, U.K. , and .
- 2012. Inbreeding affects sexual signalling in males but not females of Tenebrio molitor. Biol. Lett. 8:423–425. , , , and .
- 1971a. Relation between fitness components and population prediction in Drosophila. 1. Estimation of fitness components. Genetics 68:127–149.
- 1971b. Relation between fitness components and population prediction in Drosophila. 2. Population prediction. Genetics 68:151–167.
- R Development Core Team. 2010. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. Available at http://www.R-project.org (accessed 24 May 2013).
- 2007. Seminal influences: Drosophila Acps and the molecular interplay between males and females during reproduction. Integr. Comp. Biol. 47:427–445. , and .
- 1999. Drosophila song as a species-specific mating signal and the behavioural importance of Kyriacou & Hall cycles in D. melanogaster song. Anim. Behav. 58:649–657. , , and .
- 1956. The effect of selection against extreme deviants based on deviation or on homozygosis. J. Genet. 54:236–248.
- 2009. No evidence for optimal fitness at intermediate levels of inbreeding in Drosophila melanogaster. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 98:501–510. , , and .
- 1997. Evolutionary quantitative genetics. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 1998. Effects of inbreeding on morphological and life history traits of the sand cricket, Gryllus firmus. Heredity 81:28–37.Direct Link:
- 1998. Inbreeding, fluctuating asymmetry, and ejaculate quality in an endangered ungulate. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 265:243–248. , , , and .
- 2010. Paternal levels of DNA damage in spermatozoa and maternal parity influence offspring mortality in an endangered ungulate. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 277:2541–2546. , , , , and .
- 1998. Inbreeding and extinction in a butterfly metapopulation. Nature 392:491–494. , , , , , and .
- 1984. The effect of inbreeding on competitive male mating ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 106:601–612.
- 2011. Inbreeding depression in the competitive fertilization success of male crickets. J. Evol. Biol. 24:415–421.
- 2005. Sperm in competition: not playing by the numbers. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:46–53.
- 2004. Sperm death and dumping in Drosophila. Nature 428:939–941. , and .
- Statistical Consulting Group. Statistical computing seminars, repeated measures analysis with R. Academic Technology Services, Statistical Consulting Group, UCLA, CA. Available at http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/r/seminars/repeated_measures/repeated_measures.htm (accessed 15 January 2013).
- 2008. Sexual selection and female fitness in Drosophila simulans. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 62:721–728. , , and .
- 1997. Retrospective power analysis. Conserv. Biol. 11:276–280.
- 2009. Inbreeding effects on sperm production in clam shrimp (Eulimnadia texana). Evol. Ecol. Res. 11:125–134. , , , and .
- 1982. Influence of inbreeding on reproductive performance, ejaculate quality and testicular volume in the dog. Theriogenology 17:445–452. , , , , and .
- 1997. Female genotype affects male success in sperm competition. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264:1491–1495. , , , and .
- 2008. Inbreeding, inbreeding depression and extinction. Conserv. Genet. 9:833–843. , , and .
- 2010. Inbreeding depression in male traits and preference for outbred males in Poecilia reticulata. Behav. Ecol. 21:884–891. , and .
- 2009. Experimental evidence that high levels of inbreeding depress sperm competitiveness. J. Evol. Biol. 22:1338–1345. , , , and .
- 1999. Biostatistical analysis. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer, New York, NY. , , , , and .