Demographic patterns of a widespread long-lived tree are associated with rainfall and disturbances along rainfall gradients in SE Australia
Article first published online: 5 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2169–2182, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2169–2182
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 5 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 6 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 MAR 2013
- Australian Research Council
- Charles Sturt University
- Department of Environment and Climate Change. Grant Number: LP066829
- Australian Institute for Nuclear Science and Energy. Grant Number: AINGRA09075
- 2007. Ensemble forecasting of species distributions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22:42–47. , and .
- 1995. The impact of herbivores on regeneration in four trees from arid Australia. Rangeland J. 17:213–227.
- 2001. Flora conservation issues at Kinchega National Park, western NSW. Cunninghamia 7:27–40. , and .
- 2009. Dealing with threats: integrating science and management. Ecol. Manage. Restor. 10:s79–s87. , and .
- 1988. Influence of climate and community composition on the population demography of pasture species in semi-arid Australia. Vegetatio 77:43–49. , and .
- 1997. Effects of livestock grazing on stand dynamics and soils in upland forests of the interior west. Conserv. Biol. 11:315–327. , and .
- 2006. New South Wales vegetation classification and assessment: part 1 plant communities of NSW western plains. Cunninghamia 9:383–450. , , , and .
- 2009. Disentangling the effects of land use, shrub cover and climate on the invasion speed of native and introduced pines in grasslands. Divers. Distrib. 15:1047–1059. , , , and .
- 1997. Demography patterns of Ferocactus cylindraceus in relation to substrate age and grazing history. Plant Ecol. 133:37–48.
- 1993. Ecology of Callitris glaucophylla (Cupressaceae) on the MacDonnell Ranges, Central Australia. Aust. J. Bot. 41:217–225. , and .
- 1995. Conifers of Australia's dry forests and open woodlands. Pp. 252–270 in N. J. Enright and S. Hill Robert, eds. Ecology of the Southern Conifers, 1st ed. Melbourne University Press, Melbourne. , and .
- Bureau of Meteorology. 2005. Australian rainfall deciles [Online]. Australian Government, Melbourne. Available at http://reg.bom.gov.au/silo/products/ClimMaps.shtml (accessed 14 October 2011).
- Bureau of Meteorology. 2006. Special climate statement 9: an exceptionally dry decade in parts of southern and eastern Australia: October 1996-September 2006. Bureau of Meteorology, Melbourne.
- Bureau of Meteorology. 2010. Major seasonal rainfall zones of Australia [Online]. Commonwealth of Australia. Available at http://www.bom.gov.au/lam/climate/levelthree/ausclim/zones.htm (accessed October 14, 2011).
- Bureau of Rural Sciences. 2009. 2001/02 Land uses of Australia, V.3 [Online]. Available at http://adl.brs.gov.au/mapserv/landuse/index.cfm?fa=app.mapping&tab=mapping: Australian Government. 2010 (accessed October 14, 2011).
- 2005. Alleviation of summer drought boosts establishment success of Pinus sylvestris in a mediterranean mountain: an experimental approach. Plant Ecol. 181:191–202. , , , and .
- 1985. Regeneration of three tree species in arid south-eastern Australia. Aust. J. Bot. 33:715–732. , and .
- 2001. The Australian weather book. Reed New Holland Pty Ltd, Sydney. , and .
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation & Bureau of Meteorology. 2007. Climate change in Australia: technical report 2007. CSIRO, Bureau of Meteorology and Australian Greenhouse Office in partnership with the Australian Climate Change Program, Canberra.
- 1978. Demography and survival under grazing of three Australian semi-arid desert shrubs. Oikos 30:520–528.
- 1976. Age structure, distribution and survival under grazing of the arid-zone shrub Acacia burkittii. Oikos 27:86–92. , and .
- 1997. The relationship between land-use change and climate change. Ecol. Appl. 7:753–769.
- 2001. Climate change and forest disturbances (Cover story). Bioscience 51:723. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Survival and recruitment of seedlings and suckers of trees and shrubs of the Australian arid zone following habitat management and the outbreak of Rabbit Calicivirus Disease (RCD). Austral Ecol. 29:585–599. , and .
- 1992. Historical and ecological study of the effects of european settlement on inland NSW. Nature Conservation Council of New South Wales, Sydney.
- 1998. The grassy vegetation of the Darling Downs, south-eastern Queensland, Australia, Floristics and grazing effects. Biol. Conserv. 84:301–310.
- 2004. The ANTARES AMS facility at ANSTO. Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. B 223–224:109–115. , , , , , , et al.
- Forestry Commission of New South Wales. 1988. Notes on the Silviculture of Major NSW Forest Types.10. Cypress Pine Types. Forestry Commission of NSW, Sydney.
- 1991. The natural vegetation of the Ana Branch-Mildura 1:250000 map sheets. Cunninghamia 2:443–493.
- 1999. Age structure of Juniperus communis L. in the Iberian peninsula: conservation of remnant populations in Mediterranean mountains. Biol. Conserv. 87:215–220. , , , and .
- 1977. The maintenance of species-richness in plant communities: the importance of the regeneration niche. Biol. Rev. 52:107–145.
- 2005. Predicting species distribution: offering more than simple habitat models. Ecol. Lett. 8:993–1009. , and .
- 2007. Reduced herbivore pressure under rainy ENSO conditions could facilitate dryland reforestation. J. Arid Environ. 68:322–330. , , , and .
- 2007. Changes in biotic interactions and climate determine recruitment of Jeffrey pine along an elevation gradient. For. Ecol. Manage. 239:57–68. , , and .
- 1964. Regeneration of the vegetation on Koonamore vegetation Reserve, 1926–1962. Aust. J. Bot. 12:205–264. , , and .
- 2000. Drought disturbance from climate change: response of United States forests. Sci. Total Environ. 262:205–220. , and .
- 1991. Effects of soil moisture on shrub seedling survival in a semi-arid grassland. Ecology 72:1138–1149.
- 2008. An assessment of the impact of climate change on the nature and frequency of exceptional climatic circumstances. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. El Niño as a window of opportunity for the restoration of degraded arid ecosystems. Ecosystems 4:151–159. , and .
- 2006a. Extreme climatic events shape arid and semiarid ecosystems. Front. Ecol. Environ. 4:87–95. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006b. Herbivory and plant growth rate determine the success of El Nino Southern Oscillation-driven tree establishment in semiarid South America. Glob. Change Biol. 12:2263–2271. , , , and .
- 2009. Radiocarbon: a chronological tool for the recent past. Quat. Geochronol. 4:378–390.
- 2004. Review of tropospheric bomb 14C data for carbon cycle modeling and age calibration purposes. Radiocarbon 46:1273–1298. , and .
- 2001. Progress in radiocarbon target preparation at the ANTARES AMS Centre. Radiocarbon 43:275–282. , , , , , , et al.
- Insightful Corp. 2007. S-Plus 8 Guide to Statistics. Insightful Corporation, Seattle, WA.
- IPCC. 2007. Climate change 2007: the physical basis. Pp. 1–196 in S. Solomon, D. Quin, M. Manning, M. Marquis, K. B. Averyt, M. B. Tignor, H. L. Miller, Z. Chen, eds. Contributions of working group 1 to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K., New York.
- 2004. Ocean shores to desert dunes: the native vegetation of New South Wales and the ACT. Dept Environment and Climate Change (NSW), Sydney.
- 2008. Predicting extinction risks under climate change: coupling stochastic population models with dynamic bioclimatic habitat models. Biol. Lett. 4:560–563. , , , , , , et al.
- 1972. Factors influencing occurrence of cypress pine regeneration in New South Wales. Forestry Commission of NSW, Sydney.
- 1973. Silvicultural characteristics of white cypress pine. Forestry Commission of NSW, Sydney.
- 1983. Rabbits and the failure of regeneration in Australian arid zone Acacia. Austral Ecol. 8:377–381. , and .
- 1997. Response of tree-line populations of foxtail pine (Pinus balfouriana) to climate variation over the last 1000 years. Can. J. For. Res. 27:936–942.
- 2006. Climatic signals in growth and its relation to ENSO events of two Prosopis species following a latitudinal gradient in South America. Glob. Change Biol. 12:897–906. , , , and .
- 2008. Estimating annual rainfall threshold for establishment of tree species in water-limited ecosystems using tree-ring data. J. Arid Environ. 72:602–611. , , , and .
- 2007. The relationships between net primary productivity, human population density and species conservation. J. Biogeogr. 34:201–212.
- 1995. European management of remnant grassy forests and woodlands in south-eastern Australia. Vic. Nat. 112:239–249.
- 2005. Effects of stock grazing on biodiversity values in temperate native grasslands and grassy woodlands in SE Australia: a literature review. Technical Report 18. Environment ACT, Canberra. .
- 2012. How do fire regimes affect ecosystem structure, function and diversity in grasslands and grassy woodlands of southern Australia? Pp. 253–270 in R. A. Bradstock, M. A. Gill, R. J. Williams, eds. Flammable Australia: fire regimes, biodiversity and ecosystems in a changing world. CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne. , , and .
- 2005. Factors affecting seed germination and seedling establishment of a long-lived desert shrub (Coleogyne ramosissima: Rosaceae). Plant Ecol. 178:171–187. , and .
- 1998. Effects of environment and grazing disturbance on tree establishment in meadows of the central Cascade Range, Oregon, USA. J. Veg. Sci. 9:265–282. , and .
- 1992. Historical El Nino/Southern Oscillation variability in the Australasian region. Pp. 149–173 in H. F. Diaz, V. Markgraf, eds. El Nino: historical and paleo aspects of the Southern Oscillation. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge. .
- 1997. The delicate and noxious scrub. CSIRO, Canberra.
- 2001. Regulating Callitris populations: tale of two pineries. Pp. 173–183 in J. Dargavel, ed. Perfumed pineries: environmental history of Australia's Callitris forests. Australian National University, Canberra. .
- 2006. Managing fire-prone forests in western United States. Front. Ecol. Environ. 4:481–487. , , , , and .
- 2000. Stand structure and recruitment patterns in Callitris-Eucalyptus woodlands in Terrick Terrick National Park, Victoria. Vic. Nat. 117:207–213. , and .
- 2003. Predicting the impacts of climate change on the distribution of species: are bioclimate envelope models useful? Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 12:361–371. , and .
- 2011. Validating putatively cross-dated Callitris tree-ring chronologies using bomb-pulse radiocarbon analysis. Aust. J. Bot. 59:7–17. , , , and .
- 2007. Cross–scale interactions and changing pattern–process relationships: consequences for system dynamics. Ecosystems 10:790–796. , , and .
- 2008. Living in an increasingly connected world: a framework for continental-scale environmental science. Front. Ecol. Environ. 6:229–237. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. The natural vegetation of the Hay Plain: Booligal-Hay and Deniliquin-Bendigo 1:250 000 maps. Cunninghamia 3:1–122.
- 1997. The natural vegetation of Pooncarie 1:250 000 map. Cunninghamia 5:139–231. , , and .
- 2010. What limits the distribution and abundance of the native conifer Callitris glaucophylla (Cupressaceae) in the West MacDonnell Ranges, central Australia? Aust. J. Bot. 58:554–564. , , , , and .
- 2011. Population structures of the widespread Australian conifer Callitris columellaris are a bio-indicator of continental environmental change. For. Ecol. Manage. 262:252–262. , , , , and .
- 2012. Combining community-level spatial modelling and expert knowledge to inform climate adaptation in temperate grassy eucalypt woodlands and related grasslands. Biodivers. Conserv. 21:1627–1650. , , , , and .
- 2002. Experimental design and data analysis for biologists. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 1995. Recruitment characteristics of the white cypress pine (Callitris glaucophylla) in arid South Australia. Rangeland J. 17:228–240.
- 2004. IntCal04 terrestrial radiocarbon age calibration, 0–26 cal kyr BP. Radiocarbon 46:1029–1058. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Determinants of plant distribution: evidence from pine invasions. Am. Nat. 137:639–668. , and .
- 2012. Did historical tree removal promote woody plant encroachment in Australian woodlands? J. Veg. Sci. 23:304–312. , , , , and .
- 2012. Simplifying the savanna: the trajectory of fire-sensitive vegetation mosaics in northern Australia. J. Biogeogr. 39:1303–1317. , , and .
- 1992. The natural vegetation of the Balranald-Swan Hill area. Cunninghamia 2:597–652.
- 1999. Australian plant communities: dynamics of structure, growth and biodiversity. Oxford Univ. Press, Melbourne. , and .
- 2007. Tree establishment along an ENSO experimental gradient in the Atacama desert. J. Veg. Sci. 18:195–202. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Using multivariate statistics. Pearson Education Inc, Boston. , and .
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427:145–148. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. White cypress pine (Callitris glaucophylla): a review of its roles in landscape and ecological processes in eastern Australia. Aust. J. Bot. 53:555–570. , and .
- 2008. Predicting global change impacts on plant species’ distributions: future challenges. Perspect. Plant Ecol. Evol. Syst. 9:137–152. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Relative effects of herbivory by sheep, rabbits, goats and kangaroos on recruitment and regeneration of shrubs and trees in eastern South Australia. J. Appl. Ecol. 34:903–914. , and .
- 2002. Modern applied statistics with S. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY. , and .
- 1993. Rangeland ecology: understanding and managing change. Ambio 22:80–87.
- 1997a. Demography of two shrub species from an arid grazed ecosystem in Western Australia 1983–93. J. Ecol. 85:815–832. , , and .
- 1997b. Continuous and episodic components of demographic change in arid zone shrubs: models of two Eremophila species from Western Australia compared with published data on other species. J. Ecol. 85:833–846. , , and .
- 2009. Historical vegetation change in relation to forest management in the Pilliga State Forests of northern NSW, Australia. PhD, Charles Sturt University, Albury, Australia.
- 2004. Minimum recruitment frequency in plants with episodic recruitment. Oecologia 141:363–372. , , and .