Assessing the cryptic invasion of a domestic conspecific: American mink in their native range
Article first published online: 11 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2296–2309, July 2013
Total views since publication: 214
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2296–2309
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 11 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 9 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 JAN 2013
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
- 2006. Isolation and characterization of 79 microsatellite markers from the American mink (Mustela vison). Anim. Gen. 37:179–188. , , , , and .
- 1985. Analysis of hybrid zones. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16:113–148. , and .
- 2001. Genetic diversity and introgression in the Scottish wildcat. Mol. Ecol. 10:319–336.Direct Link:, , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Assessment of genetic variability in captive and wild American mink (Mustela vison) using microsatellite markers. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 79:7–16. , , , and .
- 2004. Differential habitat use promotes sustainable coexistence between the specialist otter and the generalist mink. Oikos 106:509–519. , and .
- 2007. The American mink in Europe: status, impacts, and control. Biol. Conserv. 134:470–483. , and .
- 2007. Assessing the potential for impacts by feral mink on wild mink in Canada. Biol. Conserv. 139:12–18. , , , and .
- 2012. Testing for bias in a sentinel species: contaminants in free-ranging domestic, wild, and hybrid mink. Environ. Res. 112:77–82. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Population genetic structure and the effect of founder events on the genetic variability of moose, Alces alces, in Canada. Mol. Ecol. 8:1309–1315. , , , and .
- 2011. Turning back the tide of American mink invasion at an unprecedented scale through community participation and adaptive management. Biol. Conserv. 144:575–583. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Differential permeability of rivers to raccoon gene flow corresponds to rabies incidence in Ontario. Can. Mol. Ecol. 18:43–53. , , , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2004. Isolation of microsatellite markers for American mink (Mustela vison). Scientifur 28:228–233. , , , and .
- 1999. Microsatellite markers for American mink (Mustela vison) and ermine (Mustela erminea). Mol. Ecol. 8:1351–1362. , , and .
- 2011. Genetic evidence for multiple events of hybridization between wolves and domestic dogs in the Iberian Peninsula. Mol. Ecol. 20:5154–5166. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Incorporating evolutionary processes into a spatially-explicit model: exploring the consequences of mink-farm closures in Denmark. Ecography 29:465–476. , , and .
- 2012. Predicting the spread of feral populations of American mink in Italy: is it too late for eradication? Biol. Invasions 14:1895–1908. , , , and .
- 1985. Mink production. Scientifur, Denmark.
- 2005. HP-RARE 1.0: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic richness. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:187–189.
- 2009. Hybridization between escaped domestic and wild American mink (Neovison vison). Mol. Ecol. 18:1175–1186. , , , and .
- 2007. Increased genetic variation and evolutionary potential drive the success of an invasive grass. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:3883–3888. , and .
- 2011. Phylogeographic consequences of different introduction histories of invasive Australian Acacia species and Paraserianthes lophantha (Fabaceae) in South Africa. Divers. Distrib. 17:861–871. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. The role of propagule pressure in explaining species invasions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:223–228. , , and .
- 1995. Genetic influences on cranial form: variation among ranch and feral American mink Mustela vison (Mammalia: Mustelidae). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 55:293–307. , and .
- 2003. The American mink: the triumph and tragedy of adaptation out of context. New Zealand J. Zool. 30:421–441. , and .
- 1995. Why is the European mink (Mustela lutreola) disappearing? – A review of the process and hypotheses. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 32:47–54. , and .
- 2008. Evidence for interspecific competition between feral ass Equus asinus and mountain sheep Ovis canadensis in a desert environment. Wildl. Biol. 14:228–236. , , and .
- 2004. Habitat destruction, fragmentation, and disturbance promote invasion by habitat generalists in a multispecies metapopulation. Risk Anal. 24:869–878. , , and .
- 2003. Fitness reduction and potential extinction of wild populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, as a result of interactions with escaped farm salmon. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270:2443–2450. , , , , , , et al.
- 1961. Mink movements and populations on a Montana river. J. Wildl. Manage. 25:48–53.
- 2011. Mink farms predict Aleutian disease exposure in wild American mink. PLoS ONE 6:e21693. , , , and .
- 2012. Molecular epidemiology of Aleutian disease virus in free-ranging domestic, hybrid, and wild mink. Evol. Appl. 5:330–340. , , , and .
- 2009. Farmed arctic foxes on the Fennoscandian mountain tundra: implications for conservation. Anim. Conserv. 12:434–444. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Development of PCR primers for nine polymorphic American mink Mustela vison microsatellite loci. Mol. Ecol. 5:311–312. , , and .
- 2008. Interactions between feral horses and desert bighorn sheep at water. J. Mammal. 89:459–466. , , , , and .
- 2006. Genalex 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2008. Adaptive evolution in invasive species. Trends Plant Sci. 13:288–294. , , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–995. , , and .
- R Core Development Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Austria.
- 1996. Extinction by hybridization and introgression. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:83–109. , and .
- 2008. Genepop '007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for Windows and Linux. Mol. Ecol. Notes 8:103–106.
- 1972. Forest regions of Canada. Canadian Forest Service, Department of Environment, Ottawa, Canada.
- 1997. Distribution, status and colonization of the American mink Mustela vison in Spain. J. Wildl. Res. 2:30–36. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Why sampling scheme matters: the effect of sampling scheme on landscape genetic results. Conserv. Genet. 10:441–452. , and .
- 2001. Density dynamics and changes in habitat use by the European mink and other native mustelids in connection with the American mink expansion in Belarus. Neth. J. Zool. 51:107–126. , and .
- 1999. Body size, and interactions between European and American mink (Mustela lutreola and M. vison) in Eastern Europe. J. Zool. 248:521–527. , , and .
- 1999. Spatial autocorrelation analysis of individual multiallele and multilocus genetic structure. Heredity 82:561–573. , and .
- Statistics Canada. 2006. Census of Canada. Statistics Canada, Ottawa.
- 2005. Genetic structure of American mink (Mustela vison) populations. Southwestern Nat 50:350–355. , , and .
- 2008. Empirical tests of the reliability of phylogenetic trees constructed with microsatellite DNA. Genetics 178:384–392. , and .
- 2010. POPTREE2: software for constructing population trees from allele frequency data and computing other population statistics with Windows-interface. Mol. Biol. Evol. 27:747–752. , , and .
- 2009. Separating wild from domestic American mink based on skull morphometrics. Wildl. Biol. 15:266–277. , , and .
- 2010. Spatial modelling and landscape-level approaches for visualizing intra-specific variation. Mol. Ecol. 19:3532–3548. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Growth and survival trade-offs and outbreeding depression in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Evolution 61:1225–1237. , , and .
- 1986. Invasibility and wildlife conservation: invasive species on nature reserves. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond B 314:695–710.
- 2003. Variability of thirteen microsatellite markers in American mink (Mustela vison). Can. J. Anim. Sci. 83:597–599. , , and .
- 2005. Expanding ranges of wild and feral deer in Great Britain. Mamm. Rev. 35:165–173.
- 2002. Chronic wasting disease of deer and elk: a review with recommendations for management. J. Wildl. Manage. 66:551–563. , , , , and .
- 2009. Bovine tuberculosis in cattle and badgers in localized culling areas. J. Wildl. Dis. 45:128–143. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Computer simulation of feeding behaviour in the thylacine and dingo as a novel test for convergence and niche overlap. Proc. R. Soc. B 274:2819–2828. , , , , and .
- 2011. High mitochondrial DNA diversity of an introduced alien carnivore: comparison of feral and ranch American mink Neovison vison in Poland. Divers. Dist. 17:757–768. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Temperature tolerance and stress proteins as mechanisms of invasive species success. PLoS ONE 6:e14806. , and .
- 2010. Assessing the control/eradication of an invasive species, the American mink, based on field data; how much would it cost? Biodivers. Conserv. 19:1455–1469. , , , and .