Condition-dependent expression of pre- and postcopulatory sexual traits in guppies
Article first published online: 5 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2197–2213, July 2013
Total views since publication: 338
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2197–2213
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 5 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 9 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 APR 2013
- School of Animal Biology
- University of Western Australia
- Australian Research Council
- 2009. Sperm quality in male Barbus barbus L. fed different diets during the spawning season. Fish Physiol. Biochem. 35:683–693. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Condition dependence of male nuptial gift construction in the spider Pisaura mirabilis (Pisauridae). J. Ethol. 29:473–479. , , and .
- 2011. Effects of vitamin E and beta-carotene on sperm competitiveness. Ecol. Lett. 14:891–895. , , and .
- 2004. An experimental test of the dose-dependent effect of carotenoids and immune activation on sexual signals and antioxidant activity. Am. Nat. 164:651–659. , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Evolution of condition-dependent sex ornaments and mating preferences: sexual selection based on viability differences. Evolution 40:804–816.
- 1994. Sexual selection. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.
- 2002. Multiple receivers, multiple ornaments, and a trade-off between agonistic and epigamic signaling in a widowbird. Am. Nat. 160:683–691. , , , , and .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. Roy. Stat. Soc. B 57:289–300. , and .
- 1990. The energetics of fish sperm motility. Pp. 153–173 in C. Gagnon, ed. Controls of sperm motility: biological and clinical aspects. CRC Press, Inc, Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- 1998. Sperm competition, sexual selection and different routes to fitness. Pp. 757–782 in T. R. Birkhead and A. P. Moller, eds. Sperm competition and sexual selection. Academic Press, New York, NY. , and .
- 2002. Postcopulatory sexual selection. Nat. Rev. Genet. 3:262–273. , and .
- 2000. Fluctuating asymmetry of sexual and nonsexual traits in stalk-eyed flies: a poor indicator of developmental stress and genetic quality. J. Evol. Biol. 13:89–97. , , , and .
- 2004. Carotenoids and life-history evolution in animals. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 430:10–15.
- 2001. Antioxidants, showy males and sperm quality. Ecol. Lett. 4:393–396. , , and .
- 2003. Carotenoid modulation of immune function and sexual attractiveness in zebra finches. Science 300:125–127. , , , and .
- 2011. Sperm number and velocity affect sperm competition success in the guppy (Poecilia reticulata). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 65:813–821. , , and .
- 2003. The effect of female presence on spermiation, and of male sexual activity on ‘ready’ sperm in the male guppy. Anim. Behav. 65:53–58. , and .
- 2001a. Direct and indirect sexual selection and quantitative genetics of male traits in guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Evolution 55:1002–1015. , and .
- 2001b. Female guppies agree to differ: phenotypic and genetic variation in mate-choice behavior and the consequences for sexual selection. Evolution 55:1644–1655. , and .
- 1998. Bioavailability and bioconversion of carotenoids. Annu. Rev. Nutr. 18:19–38. , and .
- 1988. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Lawrence Earlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ.
- 2004a. Condition dependence of sexual ornament size and variation in the stalk-eyed fly Cyrtodiopsis dalmanni (Diptera: Diopsidae). Evolution 58:1038–1046. , , and .
- 2004b. Do sexual ornaments demonstrate heightened condition-dependent expression as predicted by the handicap hypothesis? Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271:771–783. , , and .
- 1999. Plumage reflectance and the objective assessment of avian sexual dichromatism. Am. Nat. 153:183–200. , , , and .
- 1871. The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex. John Murray, London.
- 1995. Male larval nutrition in Choristoneura rosaceana (lepidoptera, tortricidae) – an important factor in reproductive success. Oecologia 104:508–517. , and .
- 2012. Expression of pre- and postcopulatory traits under different dietary conditions in guppies. Behav. Ecol. 24:740–749. , , , and .
- 1996. Female control: sexual selection by cryptic female choice. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.
- 2003. Influence of nutrition on courtship and mating in the scorpionfly Panorpa cognata (Mecoptera, Insecta). Ethology 109:911–928. , and .
- 2009. No evidence for sperm priming responses under varying sperm competition risk or intensity in guppies. Naturwissenschaften 96:771–779.
- 2010. Quantitative genetic evidence that males trade attractiveness for ejaculate quality in guppies. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 277:3195–3201.
- 2001. Patterns of sperm precedence and predictors of paternity in the Trinidadian guppy. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268:719–724. , and .
- 2003. Directional postcopulatory sexual selection revealed by artificial insemination. Nature 421:360–363. , , , and .
- 2006. Costs of reproduction in male Bicyclus anynana and Pieris napi butterflies: effects of mating history and food limitation. Ethology 112:1117–1127. , and .
- 2008. Sperm production in an extremophile fish, the cave molly (Poecilia mexicana, Poeciliidae, Teleostei). Aquat. Ecol. 42:685–692. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Sperm size or numbers? Effects of nutritional stress upon eupyrene and apyrene sperm production strategies in the moth Plodia interpunctella (Lepidoptera: Pyralidea). Funct. Ecol. 8:594–599. , and .
- 1978. Utilization of extracellular glucose by spermatozoa of two viviparous fishes. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A 59:165–168.
- 2009. Female presence influences sperm velocity in the guppy. Biol. Lett. 5:792–794. , , and .
- 2010. Sperm swimming velocity predicts competitive fertilization success in the green swordtail Xiphophorus helleri. PLoS One 5:e12146. , , , and .
- 1960. The pigments of Artemia. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 152:118–136. , and .
- 1984. The biochemistry of the carotenoids. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1987. Variation in the song rate of the male pied flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca – causes and consequences. Anim. Behav. 35:1037–1043.
- 1990. Biological signals as handicaps. J. Theor. Biol. 144:517–546.
- 2000. Carotenoid limitation and mate preference evolution: a test of the indicator hypothesis in guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Evolution 54:1712–1724.
- 2005. Environmental change, phenotypic plasticity, and genetic compensation. Am. Nat. 166:E115–E123.
- 1999. Carotenoid limitation of sexual coloration along an environmental gradient in guppies. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266:1317–1322. , , and .
- 2001. Rain forest canopy cover, resource availability, and life history evolution in guppies. Ecology 82:1546–1559. , , , , and .
- 2000. A trade-off between reproduction and a condition-dependent sexually selected ornament in the house sparrow Passer domesticus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267:1115–1119.
- 1995. Trade-offs between life-history traits and a secondary sexual character in male collared flycatchers. Nature 375:311–313. , , and .
- 2010. Sexual display and mate choice in an energetically costly environment. PLoS One 5:e15279. , , and .
- 2008. Females of carotenoid-supplemented males are more faithful and produce higher quality offspring. Behav. Ecol. 19:1165–1172. , , , and .
- 2010. Sperm of colourful males are better protected against oxidative stress. Ecol. Lett. 13:213–222. , , , , and .
- 2006. Parallel evolution of the sexes? Effects of predation and habitat features on the size and shape of wild guppies. J. Evol. Biol. 19:741–754. , , , and .
- 1990. Female house finches prefer colorful males – sexual selection for a condition-dependent trait. Anim. Behav. 40:563–572.
- 1991. Plumage coloration is a sexually selected indicator of male quality. Nature 350:337–339.
- 2000. Energetic constraints on expression of carotenoid-based plumage coloration. J. Avian Biol. 31:559–566.
- 2009. A multifactorial test of the effects of carotenoid access, food intake and parasite load on the production of ornamental feathers and bill coloration in American goldfinches. J. Exp. Biol. 212:1225–1233. , , and .
- 2003. Condition-dependent signaling affects male sexual attractiveness in field crickets, Gryllus campestris. Behav. Ecol. 14:353–359. , , and .
- 1999. Expression of a costly, plastic secondary sexual trait is correlated with age and condition in a damselfly with two male morphs. Physiol. Entomol. 24:364–369. , , and .
- 1997. Sex, color, and mate choice in guppies. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2011. Carotenoid supplementation positively affects the expression of a non-visual sexual signal. PLoS One 6:e16326. , , and .
- 1997. Patterns of fluctuating asymmetry in beetle horns: an experimental examination of the honest signalling hypothesis. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 41:109–114. , and .
- 2010. Pronounced within-individual plasticity in sperm morphometry across social environments. Evolution 64:1634–1643. , , , and .
- 1991. The evolution of costly mate preferences 2. The handicap principle. Evolution 45:1431–1442. , and .
- 1999. Good parent and good genes models of handicap evolution. J. Theor. Biol. 200:97–109. , and .
- 1998. Variation in courtship rate in the fiddler crab Uca annulipes: is it related to male attractiveness? Behav. Ecol. 9: 605–611. , and .
- 2000. Genetic variance of sexually selected traits in waxmoths: maintenance by genotype × environment interaction. Evolution 54:953–967. , , and .
- 1991. beta-Carotene inhibits the oxidative modification of low-density lipoprotein. Biochem. Biophys. Acta 1086:134–138. , , , and .
- 2004. Female mate preference based on male orange spot patterns in the feral guppy Poecilia reticulata in Japan. Ichthyol. Res. 51:316–320. , and .
- 1991. The effect of semen collection frequency and food-intake on semen production in breeding boars. Anim. Prod. 52:355–360. , , , and .
- 2009. Predicting the direction of ornament evolution in Trinidadian guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 276:4335–4343. , , , and .
- 2004. Trade–offs between sexual advertisement and immune function in the pied flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271:245–250. , , and .
- 2003. The effect of food availability on the semilunar courtship rhythm in the fiddler crab Uca lactea (de Haan) (Brachyura: Ocypodidae). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 54:210–217. , and .
- 2012. The role of male nest building in post-mating sexual selection in the monogamous red-necked grebe. Behaviour 149:81–98. , , and .
- 1989. Dietary carotenoids and male mating success in the guppy: an environmental component to female choice. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 25:393–401.
- 2005. The effects of resource availability on alternative mating tactics in guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Behav. Ecol. 16:294–300. , and .
- 2006. The effects of carotenoid and food intake on caudal fin regeneration in male guppies. J. Fish Biol. 68:1002–1012. , , , , and .
- 2009. Food availability and parasite infection influence mating tactics in guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Behav. Ecol. 20:131–137. , , , and .
- 2000. Testing the assumptions of conditional handicap theory: costs and condition dependence of a sexually selected trait. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 48:188–194.
- 2001. Costs of sexual traits: a mismatch between theoretical considerations and empirical evidence. Biol. Rev. 76:365–376.
- 1965. The carotenoids of the brine shrimp, Artemia salina. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 16:181–187.
- 2010. Variation of morphometric traits in populations of an invasive carabid predator (Merizodus soledadinus) within a sub-Antarctic island. Biol. Invasions 12:3405–3417. , , , and .
- 2007. Effect of adult feeding on male mating behaviour in the butterfly, Bicyclus anynana (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae). J. Insect Behav. 20:201–213. , and .
- 2011. Sex starved: do resource-limited males ensure fertilization success at the expense of precopulatory mating success? Anim. Behav. 81:579–583. , , and .
- 2012. Genetic and nutritional effects on male traits and reproductive performance in Tribolium flour beetles. J. Evol. Biol. 25:438–451. , , , and .
- 2009. Optimization of resource allocation can explain the temporal dynamics and honesty of sexual signals. Am. Nat. 174:515–525. , , , and .
- 2006. Colourful male guppies produce faster and more viable sperm. J. Evol. Biol. 19:1595–1602. , , , and .
- 2003. Condition-dependent sexual selection can accelerate adaptation. Evol. Ecol. Res. 5:867–881. , , , and .
- 1994. Carotenoids, parasites, and sexual selection. Oikos 70:309–311.
- 2001. Carotenoids, immunity, and sexual selection: comparing apples and oranges? Am. Nat. 158:200–203.
- 1996. Viability costs of condition-dependent sexual male display in a drumming wolf spider. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263:785–789. , , , and .
- 1997. Male display rate reveals ejaculate characteristics in the Trinidadian guppy Poecilia reticulata. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264:695–700. , , and .
- 2006. Dietary carotenoids mediate a trade-off between egg quantity and quality in Japanese quail. Ethol. Ecol. Evol. 18:247–256.
- 2003. Carotenoids, immunocompetence, and the information content of sexual colors: an experimental test. Am. Nat. 162:704–712. , and .
- 1999. Effects of food type and ration on reproductive maturation and growth of the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis. Mar. Biol. 134:155–166. , and .
- 2009. Relationship between abnormal sperm morphology induced by dietary zinc deficiency and lipid composition in testes of growing rats. Br. J. Nutr. 102:226–232. , , , , and .
- 1988. Qualitative and quantitative changes in the carotenoids during development of the brine shrimp Artemia. J. Lipid Res. 29:491–499. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Female sexual-response to condition-dependent ornaments in the guppy, Poecilia reticulata. Anim. Behav. 46:441–450.
- 1986. Acquisition and allocation of resources- their influence on variation in life-history tactics. Am. Nat. 128:137–142. , and .
- 2003. Inbreeding depression and genetic load of sexually selected traits: how the guppy lost its spots. J. Evol. Biol. 16:273–281. , , , , , and .
- 1970. Sperm competition and its evolutionary effect on copula duration in fly Scathophaga stercoraria. J. Insect Physiol. 16:525–567.
- 2010. Condition-dependent ejaculate size and composition in a ladybird beetle. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 277:3639–3647. , and .
- 2004. Trade-offs between immune investment and sexual signaling in male mallards. Am. Nat. 164:51–59. , , , and .
- 2007. Carotenoids, oxidative stress and female mating preference for longer lived males. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 274:1591–1596. , , , , and .
- 2010. Dietary carotenoid availability, sexual signalling and functional fertility in sticklebacks. Biol. Lett. 6:191–193. , , , and .
- 1999. Insemination efficiency of two alternative male mating tactics in the guppy (Poecilia reticulata). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266:1887–1891. , and .
- 2004. Cryptic female preference for colorful males in guppies. Evolution 58:665–669. , , , and .
- 2001. Male phenotype and sperm number in the guppy (Poecilia reticulata). Can. J. Zool. 79:1891–1896. , and .
- 2003. Multiple mating and sequential mate choice in guppies: females trade up. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270:1623–1629. , , , and .
- 2007. Sexual colouration and sperm traits in guppies. J. Fish Biol. 70:165–177. , , and .
- 1987. Sexual selection – the handicap principle does work sometimes. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 231:123–145.
- 1993. Beta-carotene accumulation in serum and skin. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 57:175–181. , and .
- 2010. Response of red abalone reproduction to warm water, starvation, and disease stressors: implications of ocean warming. J. Shellfish Res. 29:599–611. , , , and .
- 2005a. tpsDig2: digitize landmarks and outlines, version 2.10. Available from the author. Department of Ecology and Evolution, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY.
- 2005b. tpsRelw: relative warps analysis, version 1.45. Available from the author. Department of Ecology and Evolution, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY.
- 1996. The lek paradox and the capture of genetic variance by condition dependent traits. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263:1415–1421. , and .
- 2012. Effect of dietary energy on seminal plasma insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), serum IGF-I and testosterone levels, semen quality and fertility in adult rams. Theriogenology 78:646–655. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Courtship effort is a better predictor of mating success than ornamentation for male wolf spiders. Behav. Ecol. 20:1242–1251. , , , and .
- 2005. Do a male garter snake's energy stores limit his reproductive effort? Can. J. Zool. 83:1265–1270. , and .
- 2012. Resource allocation trade-off between sperm quality and immunity in the field cricket, Teleogryllus oceanicus. Behav. Ecol. 23:168–173.
- 2006. Evolutionary trade-off between weapons and testes. PNAS 103:16346–16351. , and .
- 2002. Evolution of ejaculates: patterns of phenotypic and genotypic variation and condition dependence in sperm competition traits. Evolution 56:1622–1631. , and .
- 2007. Phenotypic correlates of spermatozoon quality in the guppy, Poecilia reticulata. Behav. Ecol. 18:47–52. , and .
- 1983. Cryptic female choice and its implications in the scorpionfly Harpobittacus nigriceps. Am. Nat. 122:765–788.
- 2010. The condition dependence and heritability of signaling and nonsignaling color traits in paper wasps. Am. Nat. 175:495–503.
- 2013. Linking nutrition and sexual selection across life stages in a model butterfly system. Funct. Ecol. 27:145–154.
- 2004. Genic capture and resolving the lek paradox. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:323–328. , , , and .
- 2012. Mate choice for a male carotenoid-based ornament is linked to female dietary carotenoid intake and accumulation. BMC Evol. Biol. 12:3. , and .
- 2008. Avoiding bad genes: oxidatively damaged DNA in germ line and mate choice. Bioessays 30:1212–1219. , , and .
- 1991. Copula duration and testes size in the yellow dung fly, Scathophaga stercoraria (L.): the effects of diet, body size, and mating history. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 29:77–85. , and .
- 2007. Development of a novel CASA system based on open source software for characterization of zebrafish sperm motility parameters. Theriogenology 67:661–672. , and .
- 1975. Mate selection – selection for a handicap. J. Theor. Biol. 53:205–214.