The use of statistical tools in field testing of putative effects of genetically modified plants on nontarget organisms
Article first published online: 19 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 8, pages 2739–2750, August 2013
Total views since publication: 283
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(8): 2739–2750
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 19 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 DEC 2012
- The Netherlands Commission on Genetic Modification
- Dutch NWO-ERGO program. Grant Number: 836.06.081
- 2003. Negative and positive data, statistical power, and confidence intervals. Environ. Biosafety Res. 2:75–80.
- 2009. Experimental assessment of habitat preference and dispersal ability of soil springtails. Soil Biol. Biochem. 41:1596–1604. , , , and .
- 2004. Markov chain Monte Carlo simulations and their statistical analysis. World Scientific, Singapore.
- 1970. On the significance of dispersal power for populations of carabid-beetles (Coleoptera, carabidae). Oecologia 4:1–28.
- 2009. Generalized linear mixed models: a practical guide for ecology and evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:127–135. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Thermal conditions during juvenile development affect adultdispersal in a spider. PNAS 105:17000–17005. , , , , and .
- 2009. Dispersal of potato tuber moth estimated using field application of Bt for mark-capture techniques. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 132:99–109. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Farm Scale Evaluations of spring-sown genetically modified herbicide-tolerant crops: a statistical assessment. Proc. Biol. Sci. 273:237–243. , , and .
- 2003. Partitioning species diversity across landscapes and regions: a hierarchical analysis of α, β, and γ diversity. Am. Nat. 162:734–743. , , , and .
- 2011. Snails as indicators of pesticide drift, deposit, transfer and effects in the vineyard. Sci. Total Environ. 409:4280–4288. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Statistical power analysis of 2-year field study and design of experiments to evaluate non-target effects of genetically modified Bacilliusthuringiensis corn. Ecol. Entomol. 31:521–531. , , , , , , et al.
- EFSA. 2010. Guidance on the environmental risk assessment of genetically modified plants. EFSA J. 8:1879–1990.
- 1994. Host fidelity is an effective premating barrier between sympatric races of the apple maggot fly. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91:7990–7994. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Residual analysis and data transformations: important tools in statistical analysis. HortScience 27:297–301. .
- 2004. Dispersion of flightless adults of the Asian lady beetle, Harmoniaaxyridis, in greenhouses containing cucumbers infested with the aphid Aphisgossypii: effect of the presence of conspecific larvae. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 112:1–6. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Competition and dispersal in the pea aphid: clonal variation and correlations across traits. Ecol. Entomol. 30:293–298. , , , and .
- 2011. Assessing the risk posed to free-living soil nematodes by a genetically modified maize expressing the insecticidal Cry3Bb1 protein. Sci. Total Environ. 409:2674–2684. , , , , , , et al.
- 1984. Pseudoreplication and the design of ecological field experiments. Ecol. Monogr. 54:187–211.
- 1989. How appropriate are sample size formulas? Am. Stat. 43:101–105. , and .
- LeBlanc,. 2004. Statistics: concepts and applications for science. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Canada.
- 2012. Active dispersal of oribatidmites into young soils. Appl. Soil Ecol. 55:10–19. , , , , and .
- 1988. Gene flow in ground beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae) of differing habitat preference and flight-wing development. Evolution 42:129–137.
- 2012. Modelling gene flow between fields of white clover with honeybees as pollen vectors. Environ. Model. Assess. 17:421–430. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. A meta-analysis of effects of Bt cotton and maize on non-target invertebrates. Science 316:1475–1477. , , , and .
- 1989. Generalized linear models, 2nd ed. Chapman and Hall, New York, NY. , and .
- 2006. Generalized linear mixed models. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Beachwood, OH.
- 2008. Temperature and precipitation affect seasonal patterns of dispersing tobacco thrips, Frankliniellafusca, and onion thrips, Thripstabaci (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) caught on sticky traps. Environ. Entomol. 37:79–86. , , , and .
- 2011. Susceptibility of non-target invertebrates to Brazilian microbial pest control agents. Ecotoxicology 20:1354–1360. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Design, analysis and statistical power of the Farm-Scale Evaluations of genetically modified herbicide-tolerant crops. J. Appl. Ecol. 40:17–31. , , , , and .
- 2009. Statistical aspects of environmental risk assessment of GM plants for effects on non-target organisms. Environ. Biosafety Res. 8:65–78. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Non-target effect of transgenic blight-resistant American chest nut (Fagales: Fagaceae) on insect herbivores. Environ. Entomol. 40:955–963. , and .
- 2008. Selection of nontarget arthropod taxa for field research on transgenic insecticidal crops: using empirical data and statistical power. Environ. Entomol. 37:1–10. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Impact of farm-scale Bt maize on abundance of predatory arthropods in Spain. Crop Prot. 24:677–684. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Contemporary statistical models for the plant and soil science. CRC Press, New York, NY. , and .
- 2005. Population structure and coil dimorphism in a tropical land snail. Heredity 95:216–220. , , , and .
- 1994. Population structure and levels of gene flow in the Mediterranean land snail Albinariacorrugata (Pulmonata: Clausiliidae). Evolution 48:577–586. , and .
- 1985. Gene flow in natural populations. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16:393–430.
- 1987. Macro- and micro geographic structure of a spatially subdivided beetle species in nature. Evolution 41:401–416. .
- 2011. Ten-year response of bird communities to an operational herbicide-shelter wood treatment in a northern hardwood forest. For. Ecol. Manage. 262:1205–1214. , , , and .
- 2011. A statistical assessment of differences and equivalences between genetically modified and reference plant varieties. BMC Biotechnol. 11:1–20. , , , and .
- 2012. Comments on the paper “A statistical assessment of differences and equivalences between genetically modified and reference plant varieties” by van de Voet et al. 2011. BMC Biotechnol. 12:13. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Outcrossability of Brassica napus L. and B. rapa L. in an experimental field. JARQ 45:173–179.
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer, New York.