Nutrient cycling in early coral life stages: Pocillopora damicornis larvae provide their algal symbiont (Symbiodinium) with nitrogen acquired from bacterial associates
Article first published online: 18 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 8, pages 2393–2400, August 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(8): 2393–2400
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 18 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 16 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 19 MAR 2013
- Australian Microscopy & Microanalysis Research Facility
- Western Australian Marine Science Institution
- Australian Institute of Marine Science
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:3389–3402. , , , , , and .
- 2009. The onset of microbial associations in the coral Pocillopora meandrina. ISME J. 3:685–699. , , , and .
- 2007. Distribution and diversity of archaeal ammonia monooxygenase genes associated with corals. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 73:5642–5647. , , , , and .
- 2013. Intergenerational transfer of specific bacteria in corals and possible implications for offspring fitness. Microb. Ecol. 65:227–231. , , and .
- 1979. Bacterial populations and adaptations in the mucus layers of living corals. Limnol. Oceanogr. 24:715–725. , and .
- 2010. Nitrogen fixation and nitrogen transformations in marine symbioses. Trends Microbiol. 18:455–463. , , , and .
- 2011. Nitrogen fixation and transfer in open ocean diatom–cyanobacterial symbioses. ISME J. 5:1484–1493. , , , , , and .
- 1981. The association of N2-fixing bacteria with sea urchins. Mar. Biol. 62:197–207. , and .
- 2010. Microbial functional structure of Montastraea faveolata, an important Caribbean reef-building coral, differs between healthy and yellow-band diseased colonies. Environ. Microbiol. 12:541–556. , , , , and .
- 2007. Nitrogen fixation in eukaryotes – new models for symbiosis. BMC Evol. Biol. 7:55. , , , and .
- 2007. Quantitative imaging of nitrogen fixation by individual bacteria within animal cells. Science 317:1510–1511. , , , and .
- 2004. Discovery of symbiotic nitrogen-fixing cyanobacteria in corals. Science 305:997–1000. , , , and .
- 2007. Nitrogen fixation by symbiotic cyanobacteria provides a source of nitrogen for the scleractinian coral Montastraea cavernosa. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 346:143–152. , , , , and .
- 1998. Design and evaluation of useful bacterium-specific PCR primers that amplify genes coding for bacterial 16S rRNA. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 64:795–799. , , , , and .
- 1988. Structural investigations on the mucus from six species of coral. Mar. Biol. 99:187–193. , , and .
- 2010. Diversity of aerobic and anaerobic ammonia-oxidizing bacteria in marine sponges. ISME J. 4:38–48. , , , and .
- 2009. Diazotrophic bacteria associated with Hawaiian Montipora corals: diversity and abundance in correlation with symbiotic dinoflagellates. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 371:140–146. , , , and .
- 2012. A single-cell view of ammonium assimilation in coral–dinoflagellate symbiosis. ISME J. 6:1314–1324. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Diversity and distribution of coral-associated bacteria. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 243:1–10. , , , and .
- 2007. The role of microorganisms in coral health, disease and evolution. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 5:355–362. , , , , and .
- 1995. Palstat: user's manual and case histories: statistics for palaeontologists and palaeobiologists. Springer, Berlin. , , and .
- 2010. Bacterial acquisition in juveniles of several broadcast spawning coral species. PLoS One 5:e10898. , , , , and .
- 2011. Diversity and dynamics of bacterial communities in early life stages of the Caribbean coral Porites astreoides. ISME J. 4:790–801. , , and .
- 2009. The biology of coral reefs. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, NY. , , and .
- 1979. Chemotactic responses of Vibrio alginolyticus to algal extracellular products. Can. J. Microbiol. 25:964–967. , and .
- 2007. Sponge-associated microorganisms: evolution, ecology, and biotechnological potential. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 71:295–347. , , , and .
- 2007. Multilocus sequence analysis reveals that vibrio harveyi and V. campbellii are distinct species. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 73:4279–4285. , , , and .
- 2007. Metagenomic analysis of the microbial community associated with the coral Porites astreoides. Environ. Microbiol. 9:2707–2719. , , , and .
- 2008. Metabolic interactions between algal symbionts and invertebrate hosts. Plant, Cell Environ. 31:679–694. , , and .