Environmental effects on molecular and phenotypic variation in populations of Eruca sativa across a steep climatic gradient
Article first published online: 24 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 8, pages 2471–2484, August 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(8): 2471–2484
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 24 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 MAY 2013
- Israel Science Foundation. Grant Number: 1222/10
- 2002. Patterns of genetic and phenotypic variation in Iris haynei and I. atrofusca (Iris sect. Oncocyclus = the royal irises) along an ecogeographical gradient in Israel and the West Bank. Mol. Ecol. 11:39–53. , , , , , and
- 1990. Comparative plant sizes and reproductive strategies in desert and Mediterranean populations of ephemeral plants. Isr. J. Bot. 39:413–430. , , and .
- 1992. Adaptive phenology of desert and Mediterranean populations of annual plants grown with and without water-stress. Oecologia 89:17–26. , , , and .
- 1993. Reproductive allocation strategies in desert and Mediterranean populations of annual plants grown with and without water-stress. Oecologia 93:336–342. , , and .
- 1970. A correlative study of the chemical and physical properties of a group of natural soils of Israel. Geoderma, 3:185–198. and .
- 2012. Photo-thermal regulation of seed germination in natural populations of Eruca sativa Miller (Brassicaceae). J. Arid Environ. 85:93–96. , , , , and .
- 2012. lme4: Linear mixed-effects models using s4 classes. R package version 0.999999-0. Available at http://cran.R-project.org/package=lme4 (accessed June 10, 2013). , , and .
- 1996. Evaluating loci for use in the genetic analysis of population structure. Philos. Trans. R Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 263:1619–1626. , and .
- 2004. How to track and assess genotyping errors in population genetics studies. Mol. Ecol. 13:3261–3273. , , , , , and
- 1999. Population genetic structure and gene flow across arid versus mesic environments: a comparative study of two parapatric Senecio species from the Near East. Evolution 53:36–54. , and .
- 2006. Bayesian identification of admixture events using multilocus molecular markers. Mol. Ecol. 15:2833–2843. , and .
- 2006. A Bayesian method for identification of stock mixtures from molecular marker data. Fish. Bull. 104:550–558. , , and .
- 2010. Spurious correlations and inference in landscape genetics. Mol. Ecol. 19:3592–3602. , and .
- 2006. Gene flow in complex landscapes: testing multiple hypotheses with causal modeling. Am. Nat. 168:486–499. , , , and .
- 1987. Revision of the plant geographical territories of Israel and Sinai. Plant Syst. Evol. 156:43–53. , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2009. Detecting loci under selection in a hierarchically structured population. Heredity 103:285–298. , , and .
- 2008. A genome-scan method to identify selected loci appropriate for both dominant and codominant markers: a Bayesian perspective. Genetics 180:977–993. , and .
- 2010. Selection pressures have caused genome-wide population differentiation of Anthoxanthum odoratum despite the potential for high gene flow. J. Evol. Biol. 23:776–782. , , , and .
- 2007. The ecodist package for dissimilarity-based analysis of ecological data. J. Stat. Softw. 22:1–19. , and .
- 2002. Minireview: survival adaptations and strategies of annuals occurring in the Judean and Negev Deserts of Israel. Isr. J. Plant Sci. 50:165–175.
- 2001. PAST: Paleontological statistics software package for education and data analysis. Palaeontol Electronica 4:9. , , and .
- 1989. Allozyme diversity in plant species. Pp. 46–63 in eds. A. H. D. Brown, M. T. Clegg, A. L. Kahler, B. S. Weir, eds. Plant population genetics, breeding and germplasm resources. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 1996. Effects of life history traits on genetic diversity in plant species. Philos. Trans. R Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 351:1291–1298. , and .
- 2012. Genomic scan as a tool for assessing the genetic component of phenotypic variance in wild populations. Pp. 315–329 in F. Pompanon and A. Bonin, eds. Population genomics: methods and protocols. Springer Science and Business Media, New York, NY.
- 2009. Quantifying the genetic component of phenotypic variation in unpedigreed wild plants: tailoring genomic scan for within-population use. Mol. Ecol. 18:2602–2614. , and .
- 1986. Clinal variation associated with edaphic ecotones in hybrid populations of Gaillardia pulchella. Evolution 40:1132–1140.
- 2008. Ecological consequences of genetic diversity. Ecol. Lett. 11:609–623. , , , , and .
- 1995. Estimates of gene flow in Eichhornia paniculata (Pontederiaceae): effects of range substructure. Heredity 75:549–560. , and .
- 2008. Spatial analysis method (sam): a software tool combining molecular and environmental data to identify candidate loci for selection. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:957–960. , , and .
- 2003. Differential cycles of range contraction and expansion in European high mountain plants during the Late Quaternary: insights from Pritzelago alpina (L.) O. Kuntze (Brassicaceae). Mol. Ecol. 12:931–949. , , and .
- 2011. Quantifying effects of environmental and geographical factors on patterns of genetic differentiation. Mol. Ecol. 20:4631–4642. , and .
- 1998. Numerical ecology, second English edition edn. Elsevier Science BV, Amsterdam. , and .
- 1994. Modeling brain evolution from behavior - a permutational regression approach. Evolution 48:1487–1499. , , and .
- 2009. Competition and a short growing season lead to ecotypic differentiation at the two extremes of the ecological range. Funct. Ecol. 23:397–404. , and .
- 1986. Calcium and magnesium carbonates. Pp. 30–33 in M. J. Singer and P. Janitzki, eds. Field and laboratory procedures used in a soil chronosequence study. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.
- 1997. Tools for Population Genetic Analysis (TFPGA), 1.3: A Windows program for the analysis of allozyme and molecular population genetic data. Distributed by the author.
- 1979. Allozyme genotype–environment relationships in natural populations of Drosophila buzzatii. Biochem. Genet. 17:105–126. , , and .
- 2008. Phenotypic plasticity and gene diversity in Pistacia lentiscus L. along environmental gradients in Israel. Tree Genet. Genomes 4:777–785. , , , and .
- 1972. Genetic distance between populations. Am. Nat. 106:283–292.
- 1988. Natural selection in action: the interface of ecology and genetics in adaptation and speciation at the molecular and organismal level. Pp. 411–438 in E. Tchernov and Y. Yom-Tov, eds. The zoogeography of Israel. Dr W. Junk Publications, Dordrecht.
- 2011. Evolution under environmental stress at macro- and microscales. Genome Biol. Evol. 3:1039–1052.
- 2012. Evolution of wild cereals during 28 years of global warming in Israel. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109:3412–3415. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Divergent selection and heterogeneous genomic divergence. Mol. Ecol. 18:375–402. , , and .
- 2011. Multiple approaches to detect outliers in a genome scan for selection in ocellated lizards (Lacerta lepida) along an environmental gradient. Mol. Ecol. 20:193–205. , , , and .
- 2000. Effects of life history traits and sampling strategies on genetic diversity estimates obtained with RAPD markers in plants. Perspect. Plant Ecol. Evol. Syst. 3:93–114. , and .
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetics software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2008. Allelic diversity associated with aridity gradient in wild emmer wheat populations. Plant, Cell Environ. 31:39–49. , , , , , and
- 2006. Life history variation in an annual plant under two opposing environmental constraints along an aridity gradient. Ecography 29:66–74. , , , , and .
- R Core Team. 2008. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2001. How closely correlated are molecular and quantitative measures of genetic variation? A meta-analysis. Evolution 55:1095–1103. , and .
- 2009. Hot-spot facts and artifacts-questioning Israel's great biodiversity. Isr. J. Ecol. Evol. 55:263–279. , , and .
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145:1219–1228.
- 2007. Functional ecology of ecotypic differentiation in the Californian serpentine sunflower (Helianthus exilis). New Phytol. 175:107–119. , and .
- 2009. From mesic to arid environments: morphological and genetic divergence in Asphodelus aestivus Brot. populations. Isr. J. Plant Sci. 57:91–102. , , , and .
- 1981. The role of soil phosphorus in differentiation of edaphic ecotypes in Aegilops peregrina. Oecologia 49:419–424. , , and .
- 1987. Gene flow and the geographic structure of natural populations. Science 236:787–792.
- 2010. Cost of trichome production and resistance to a specialist insect herbivore in Arabidopsis lyrata. Evol. Ecol. 24:1307–1319. , , , , and .
- 2012. What can patterns of differentiation across plant genomes tell us about adaptation and speciation? Philos. Trans. R Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 367:364–373. , , , , , and
- 2006. Getting the most out of fluorescent amplified fragment length polymorphism. Can. J. Bot. 84:1347–1354. , , , , , and , et al.
- 1922. The genotypical response of the plant species to the habitat. Hereditas 3:211–350.
- 2003. Morphological and molecular data to determine the origin and taxonomic status of Prosopis chilensis var. riojana (Fabaceae, Mimosoideae). Can. J. Bot. 81:905–917. , , , , , and et al.
- 1996. Plant genetic adaptedness to climatic and edaphic environment. Euphytica 92:27–38.
- 2001. Interpretation of variation across marker loci as evidence of selection. Genetics 158:1811–1823. , , and .
- 1993. Plant-tissue optics. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 44:231–251.
- 2007. Correlated patterns of variation in phenology and seed production in populations of two annual grasses along an aridity gradient. Evol. Ecol. 21:381–393.
- 1998. Phenotypic variation and stress resistance in core and peripheral populations of Hordeum spontaneum. Biodivers. Conserv. 7:131–138. , , , , and .
- 2002a. Phenotypic and allozyme variation in Mediterranean and desert populations of wild barley, Hordeum spontaneum Koch. Evolution 56:1403–1415. , , , and .
- 2002b. Differentiation in populations of Hordeum spontaneum Koch along a gradient of environmental productivity and predictability: plasticity in response to water and nutrient stress. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 75:301–312. , , and .
- 1995. AFLP: a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Res. 23:4407–4414. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Phenotypic variation in caryopsis dormancy and seedling salt tolerance in wild barley, Hordeum spontaneum, from different habitats in Israel. Genet. Resour. Crop Evol. 55:995–1005. , , , , and .
- 2004. Avner Phenotypic and genotypic analysis of a commercial cultivar and wild populations of Anemone coronaria. Euphytica 136:51–62. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Jasmonic acid control of GLABRA3 links inducible defense and trichome patterning in Arabidopsis. Development 136:1039–1048. , , , , and .