Can migrants escape from density dependence?
Article first published online: 26 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 8, pages 2524–2534, August 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(8): 2524–2534
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 26 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 22 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 FEB 2013
- Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología. Grant Numbers: CGL2007-60572, CGL2010-14964
- Fondos FEDER. Grant Number: PGIDIT03PXIC30102PN
- Spanish Government. Grant Number: BES-2008-001973
- 2004. Image processing with ImageJ. Biophotonics Int. 11:36–42. , , and .
- 2012. The role of body size versus growth on the decision to migrate: a case study with Salmo trutta. Naturwissenschaften 99:11–21. , , , and .
- 2000. Surface waters of the NW Iberian margin: upwelling on the shelf versus outwelling of upwelled waters from the Rías Baixas. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 51:821–837. , , , , and .
- 1996. Population ecology: a unified study of animals and plants. Blackwell Science, Oxford. , , and .
- 2004. Limiting factors and population regulation. Oikos 105:667–670.
- 2006. Strength of evidence for density dependence in abundance time series of 1198 species. Ecology 87:1445–1451. , and .
- 2006. Life history of a sea trout (Salmo trutta L.) population from the North-West Iberian Peninsula (River Ulla, Galicia, Spain). Pp. 234–247 in G. Harris and N. Milner, eds. Sea trout biology, conservation and management. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford. , , and .
- 2012. A review of the genetic and ecological basis of phenotypic plasticity in brown trout. Pp. 9–26 in S. Polakof and T. W. Moon, eds. Trout: from physiology to conservation. Nova Science, Hauppauge. , , and .
- 2001. Otoliths, increments, and elements: keys to a comprehensive understanding of fish populations? Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 58:30–38. , and .
- 2007. The use of scale increment as a means of indicating fish growth and growth impairment. Aquaculture 266:102–111. , , , , and .
- 2007. The R book. Wiley & Sons, , Chichester, U.K.
- 2010. Interacting effects of density and temperature on body size in multiple populations of Chinook salmon. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:342–349. , , , and .
- 1988. Early marine life of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, postsmolts in the northern Gulf of St. Lawrence. Fish. Bull. 86:197–212. , and .
- 1991. Is dispersal of fish eggs, embryos and larvae an insurance against density dependence? Environ. Biol. Fishes 31:313–321.
- 2006. The partitioning of density-dependent dispersal, growth and survival throughout ontogeny in a highly fecund organism. Oikos 113:489–496. , , and .
- 2011. The spatial scale of competition from recruits on an older cohort in Atlantic salmon. Oecologia 167:1017–1025. , , , and .
- 1994. Quantitative ecology and the brown trout. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, NY.
- 1990. Density-dependence at sea for coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 47:1765–1772. , , , and .
- 2009. Spatial distribution of limited resources and local density regulation in juvenile Atlantic salmon. J. Anim. Ecol. 78:226–235. , , , and .
- 2010. Relating juvenile spatial distribution to breeding patterns in anadromous salmonid populations. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:501–509. , , and .
- 2006. The relationship between smolt and postsmolt growth for Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Fish. Bull. 104:149–155. , , , and .
- 2000. Variability in performance in wild Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., fry from a single redd. Fish. Manage. Ecol. 7:489–502. , , and .
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biol. Rev. 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Patterns of density-dependent growth in juvenile stream-dwelling salmonids. J. Fish Biol. 67:100–110. , and .
- 1998. The marine phase of the Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) life cycle, with comparisons to Pacific salmon. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 55:104–118. , and .
- 2009. Trade-offs between predation risk and forage differ between migrant strategies in a migratory ungulate. Ecology 90:3445–3454. , and .
- 1999. Effects of population density on individual growth of brown trout in streams. Ecology 80:941–956. , , , and .
- 2009. Density-dependent growth rate in an age-structured population: a field study on stream-dwelling brown trout Salmo trutta. J. Fish Biol. 74:2196–2215. , and .
- 2009. Ecology: the experimental analysis of distribution and abundance. 6th ed. Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco.
- 2009. Growth-history perspective on the decreasing age and size at maturation of exploited Atlantic salmon. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 376:245–252. , , , and .
- 2011. Intracohort and intercohort spatial density dependence in juvenile brown trout (Salmo trutta). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 68:115–121. , and .
- 2012. And the last shall be first: heterochrony and compensatory marine growth in sea trout (Salmo trutta). PLoS One 7:e45528. , , , and .
- 2013. Mixed-effects modelling of scale growth profiles predicts the occurrence of early and late fish migrants. PLoS One 8:e61744. , , , and .
- 2008. Density-dependent growth of Alaska sockeye salmon in relation to climate-oceanic regimes, population abundance, and body size, 1925 to 1998. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 370:1–18. , , , and .
- 2008. Survival variability and population density in fish populations. Nature 452:344–347. , , and .
- 2009. Density dependent and temporal variability in habitat selection by a large herbivore; an experimental approach. Oikos 118:209–218. , , , , and .
- 2008. Recruitment variability of resident brown trout in peripheral populations from southern Europe. Freshw. Biol. 53:2364–2374. , , , and .
- 2011. Ontogenetic variation in density-dependent growth of brown trout through habitat competition. Freshw. Biol. 56:530–540. , , , , and .
- 1984. Density-dependent growth in early ocean life of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 41:1825–1829.
- R Development Core Team. 2012. nlme: linear and nonlinear mixed effects models. R package v. 3.1-103. Available at http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/nlme/index.html (accessed December 5, 2012). , , , and ;
- 2007. The relative contribution of individual and kin selection to the evolution of density-dependent dispersal rates. Evol. Ecol. Res. 9:41–50. , , and .
- 2012. Quantifying individual variation in reaction norms: how study design affects the accuracy, precision and power of random regression models. Methods Ecol. Evol. 3:268–280.
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. [v. 2.15.0].
- 2009. Climate and intraspecific competition control the growth and life history of juvenile sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) in Iliamna Lake, Alaska. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 66:238–246. , , , and .
- 1986. Resource partitioning in fish assemblages: a review of field studies. Copeia 1986:352–388.
- 2006. Long-term trends in annual Bristol Bay sockeye salmon scale growth at sea in relation to sockeye abundance and environmental trends, 1955–2000. NPAFC Tech. Rep. 4:56–58. , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Interacting effects of behavior and oceanography on growth in salmonids with examples for coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 62:1219–1230. , , and .
- 2007. Predicting conditions for migration: effects of density dependence and habitat quality. Biol. Lett. 3:280–283. , and .
- 2012. The effect of competition among three salmonids on dominance and growth during the juvenile life stage. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 21:533–540. , , and .
- 2012. Spatial and temporal scale of density-dependent body growth and its implications for recruitment, population dynamics and management of stream-dwelling salmonid populations. Rev. Fish Biol. Fish. 22:813–825. , , and .
- 2008. Non-additive effects of density-dependent and density-independent factors on brown trout vital rates. Oikos 117:1752–1760. , and .
- 2007. Is the shape of the density-growth relationship for stream salmonids evidence for exploitative rather than interference competition? J. Anim. Ecol. 76:135–138. , , , , and .
- 2009. The role of the environment in partial migration: food availability affects the adoption of a migratory tactic in brown trout Salmo trutta. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 18:52–59. , , , and .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer, New York, NY. , , , , and .