Recent colonization by a coastal plant of inland habitats at an ancient freshwater lake, Lake Biwa: multilocus sequencing and a demographic history of Lathyrus japonicus (Fabaceae)
Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 8, pages 2600–2611, August 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(8): 2600–2611
- Issue online: 12 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 13 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 APR 2013
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
- 2007. A new approach to estimate parameters of speciation models with application to apes. Genome Res. 17:1505–1519. , and .
- 1963. Lathyrus japonicus Willd. (L. maritimus.Bigel). Biological Flora of the British Isles no. 459. J. Ecol. 51:795–801. , and .
- 2010. New insights on the speciation history and nucleotide diversity of three boreal spruce species and a Tertiary relict. Heredity 104:3–14. , , , and .
- 2006. Development of nuclear gene-derived molecular markers linked to legume genetic maps. Mol. Genet. Genomics 276:56–70. , , , and .
- 1990. Isolation of plant DNA from plant tissue. Focus 12:13–15. , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software structure: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 1993. Statistical tests of neutrality of mutations. Genetics 133:693–709. , and .
- 2008. Computation vs cloning: evaluation of two methods for haplotype determination. Mol. Ecol. 8:1239–48. , , and .
- 1985. Dating the human-ape splitting by a molecular clock of mitochondrial DNA. J. Mol. Evol. 22:160–174. , , and .
- 2004. Multilocus methods for estimating population sizes, migration rates and divergence time, with applications to the divergence of Drosophila psudoobscura and D. persimilis. Genetics 167:747–760. , and .
- 2007. Integration within the Felsenstein equation for improvaed Markov chain Monte Carlo methods in population genetics. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:2785–2790. , and .
- 1985. Statistical properties of the number of recombination events in the history of a sample of DNA sequences. Genetics 111:147–164. , and .
- 1976. Fluctuation in Holocene sea-level. Pp. 89–98 in Japan Association for Quaternary Research. Quaternary Research in Japan. Univ. of Tokyo Press, Tokyo. In Japanese .
- 2007. CLUMPP: a cluster matching and permutation program for dealing with label switching and multimodality in analysis of population structure. Bioinformatics 23:1801–1806. , and .
- 2005. Terrestrial growth and marine dispersal? Comparative phylogeography of five coastal plant species at a European scale. Taxon 54:861–876. , , , and .
- 1989. Stratigraphy of the lower part of the Kobiwako Group around the Ueno Basin, Kinki District, Japan. J. Geosci. Osaka City Univ. 32:39–90.
- 1994. The history of Lake Biwa. Pp. 25–72 in The research Group for the Natural History of Lake Biwa, eds. The natural history of Lake Biwa (in Japanese). Yasaka Shoboo, Tokyo. .
- 1998. Refining the eustatic sea-level curve since the Last Glacial Maximum using far- and intermediate-field sites. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 163(1–4):327–342. doi:10.1016/S0012-821X(98)00198-8. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Quaternary Paleogeography of the Ryukyu Arc in Japanese with English abstract. J. Geogr. 105:259–285. .
- 1968. Phytogeography of Shiga Prefecture. P. 106 in Kitamura S, ed. Flora of Shiga Prefecture. Hoikusha, Osaka (in Japanese). .
- 1969. The number of heterozygous nucleotide sites maintained in a finite population due to a steady flux of mutations. Genetics 61:893–903.
- 2007. Estimating a geographically explicit model of population divergence. Evolution 61:477–493. , and .
- 2010. Demographic histories of four spruce (Picea) species of the Qinghai–Tibetan Plateau and neighboring areas inferred from multiple nuclear loci. Mol. Biol. Evol. 27:1001–1014. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. DnaSP v5: a software for comprehensive analysis of DNA polymorphism data. Bioinformatics 25:1451–1452. , and .
- 2009. Adaptation and diversification on islands. Nature 457:830–836. , and .
- 2008. Ecological reproductive isolation of coast and inland races of Mimulus guttatus. Evolution 62:2196–2214. , , and .
- 1997. Speciation in Ancient Lakes. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12:177–182.
- 1960. On the origin of the Caspian and Baikal seals and the paleoclimatological implications. Am. J. Sci. 258:47–65.
- 1993. Reinterpretation of late Quaternary sediment chronology of Lake Biwa, Japan, from correlation with marine glacial–interglacial cycles. Quatern. Res. 39:154–162. , , and .
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. 2007. Effect of fish movement. Pp. 1–9 in Report of commission of Effect of fish movement surrounding Amagase dam. Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism in Osaka, Osaka (in Japanese).
- 1990. List of plant and animal species living in Lake Biwa (Corrected third edition). Pp. 13–32 in Memoirs of the Faculty of Science. Series of biology. New series. Vol. 14. Memoirs of the Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Kyoto. , and .
- 1987. Molecular evolutionary genetics. Columbia Univ. Press, New York, NY.
- 2001. Distinguishing migration from isolation: a Markov chain Monte Carlo approach. Genetics 158:885–896. , and .
- 2011. Long-term isolation of coastal plant Calystegia soldanella in an ancient lake Biwa, Japan. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 102:51–66. , , , and .
- 2011. Geographical differentiation in leaf thickness between coastal and freshwater populations of the coastal plant Lathyrus japonicus (Fabaceae). Bull. Natl. Sci. Mus. Ser. B 37:127–132. , and .
- 2011. Isolated history of the coastal plant Lathyrus japonicus (Leguminosae) in Lake Biwa, an ancient freshwater lake. AoB Plants plr021. doi:10.1093/aobpla/plr021. , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2010. A genome sequence of paleopolyploid soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr.). Nature 463:178–183. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2003. Sea-level fluctuations during the last glacial cycle. Nature 423:853–858. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The late Pleistocene desiccation of Lake Victoria and the origin of its endemic biota. Hydrobiologia 596:5–16. , and .
- 2001. A new statistical method for haplotype reconstruction from population data. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 68:978–989. , , and .
- 2010. How robust are “Isolation with Migration” analyses to violations of the IM model? A simulation study. Mol. Biol. Evol. 27:297–310. , and .
- 1998. Comparative phylogeography and postglacial colonization routes in Europe. Mol. Ecol. 8:1923–1934. , , , and .
- 1989. Statistical method for testing neutral mutation hypothesis by DNA polymorphisms. Genetics 123:585–595.
- 1963. Stratigraphy of the Paleo–Biwa group and the paleography of Lake Biwa. Pp. 81–119 in Memoirs of the Faculty of Science. Series of biology. New series. Vol. 30. Memoirs of the Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Kyoto.
- 2008. Mid- to late Holocene climate change: an overview. Quatern. Sci. Rev. 27:1791–1828. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Genealogy and subpopulation differentiation under various models of population structure. J. Math. Biol. 37:535–585.
- 2002. Holocene sea-level changes in Osaka Bay, western Japan: ostracode evidence in a drilling core from the southern Osaka Plain. J. Geol. Soc. Jpn 108:633–643. , , , and .
- 2001. Coupled climate and sea-level changes deduced from Huon Peninsula coral terraces of the last ice age. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 193:579–587. , , and .