Modeling implications of food resource aggregation on animal migration phenology
Article first published online: 26 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 8, pages 2535–2546, August 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(8): 2535–2546
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 26 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 JAN 2013
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- 2012. Migration phenology of beluga whales in a changing. Arctic. Clim. Res. 53:169–178. , , , , and .
- 1996. Ecological and social determinants of group size in transient killer whales. Behav. Ecol. 7:408–416. , and .
- 2006. Climate-driven trends in contemporary ocean productivity. Nature 444:752–755. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Regional variability in food availability for Arctic marine mammals. Ecol. Appl. 18(Suppl):77–96. , and .
- 2005. Climatic effects on timing of spring migration and breeding in a long-distance migrant, the pied flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca. J. Avian Biol. 36:368–373. , , and .
- 1986. The evolutionary advantages of group foraging. Theor. Popul. Biol. 30:45–75. , and .
- 2005. From wind to whales: trophic links in a coastal upwelling system. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 289:117–130. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Influence of thermal fronts on habitat selection by four rorqual whale species in the Gulf of St Lawrence. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335:207–216. , , , and .
- 2003. Using first-passage time in the analysis of area restricted search and habitat selection. Ecology 84:282–288. , and .
- 1987. Tuna aggregation and feeding near fronts observed in satellite imagery. Cont. Shelf Res. 7:871–881. , and .
- 1988. Causes and consequences of migration by large herbivores. Trends Ecol. Evol. 3:237–241. , and .
- 2011. Mechanics, hydro - dynamics and energetics of blue whale lunge feeding: efficiency dependence on krill density. J. Exp. Biol. 214:131–146. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Pattern-oriented modelling: a ‘multi-scope’ for predictive systems ecology. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 367:298–310. , and .
- 2005. Pattern-oriented modeling of agent-based complex systems: lessons from ecology. Science 310:987–991. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. A standard protocol for describing individual-based and agent-based models. Ecol. Model. 198:115–126. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The ODD protocol: a review and first update. Ecol. Model. 221:2760–2768. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Impact of changing ice cover on pelagic productivity and food web structure in Disko Bay, West Greenland: a dynamic model approach. Deep-Sea Res. II 50:171–187. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Biological consequences of global warming: is the signal already apparent? Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:56–61.
- 1999. Physical processes, prey abundance, and the foraging ecology of seabirds. Pp. 2040–2056 in N. J. Adams and R. H. Slotow, eds. Proc. 22nd International Ornithological Congress, Durban, South Africa, Bird Life South Africa, Johannesburg. , , , , , and
- 2002. Climate change and control of the southeastern Bering Sea pelagic ecosystem. Deep-Sea Res. II 49:5821–5853. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Importance of eating capelin: unique dietary habits of Hudson Bay beluga. in S. H. Fergusson, L. L. Loseto and M. L. Mallory, eds. A little less arctic: top predators in the world's largest northern inland sea, Hudson Bay. Springer, Dordrecht. , , , , and .
- 2006. Potential effects of climate change on marine mammals. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Annu. Rev. 44:429–456. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Updated status of the St. Lawrence River population of the beluga Delphinapterus leucas. Can. Field-Nat. 112:98–113. , and .
- 2009. Movement and aggregation of Eastern Hudson Bay beluga whales (Delphinapterus leucas): a comparison of patterns found through satellite telemetry and Nunavik traditional ecological knowledge. Arctic 62:13–24. , , , , and .
- 1999. Early development and fitness in birds and mammals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:343–348.
- 2006. Sexual segregation of Beaufort beluga whales during the open-water season. Can. J. Zool. 84:1743–1751. , , , , and .
- 1991. Dynamics of marine ecosystems: biological–physical interactions in the oceans. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford. , and .
- 1996. Recent decreases in Arctic summer ice cover and linkages to atmospheric circulation anomalies. Geophys. Res. Lett. 23:1677–1680. , , and .
- 1966. On optimal use of a patchy environment. Am. Nat. 100:603–609. , and .
- 2000. Beluga whale, Delphinapterus leucas, habitat associations in Cook Inlet, Alaska. Mar. Fish. Rev. 62:60–80. , , , , and .
- 2002. Dynamics of recent climate change in the Arctic. Science 297:1497–1502. , , and .
- 2008. Search and navigation in dynamic environments – from individual behaviors to population distributions. Oikos 117:654–664. , and .
- 2008. In search of forage: predicting dynamic habitats of Mongolian gazelles using satellite-based estimates of vegetation productivity. J. Appl. Ecol. 45: 649–658. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2007.01371.x , , , , , and .
- 1985. The concentrating of organisms at fronts: a cold-water fish and a warm-core Gulf Stream ring. J. Mar. Res. 43:113–137. , and .
- 1994. Comparative structure of the macrozooplankton/micronekton communities of the Subtropical and Antarctic Polar fronts. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 111:155–169. , , and .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37:637–669.
- 2004. The influences of climate variability on North Atlantic zooplankton populations. Pp. 59–69 in N. C. Stenseth, G. Ottersen, J. W. Hurrell and A. Belgrano, eds. Marine ecosystems and climate variation. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford. , , , and .
- 1993. Exploring the association between swordfish catch rates and thermal fronts on United-States longline grounds in the Western North-Atlantic. Cont. Shelf Res. 13:253–277. , , and .
- 2002. Zooplankton distribution and behaviour in the Southern Ocean from surveys with a towed optical plankton counter. Deep Sea Res. II 49:3889–3915. , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, Available at http://www.R-project.org/ (accessed 13 April 2011).
- 2002. Analysis of habitat-selection rules using an individual-based model. Ecology 83:1817–1830. , and .
- 2001. Summer and autumn movements of belugas of the eastern Beaufort Sea stock. Arctic 54:223–236. , , and .
- 2008. Attributing physical and biological impacts to anthropogenic climate change. Nature 453:353–357. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Response of ocean ecosystems to climate warming. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 18, GB3003. doi: 10.1029/2003GB002134 , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. The function of distance movements in vertebrates. Pp. 240–258 in P. J. Greenwood, I. R. Swingland, eds. The ecology of animal movements. Clarendon Press, Oxford. .
- 1992. Predator shoaling moderates the confusion effect in blue-green chromis, Chromis xnridis. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 30:103–107. , and .
- 2010. Individual-based ecology of coastal birds. Biol. Rev. 85:413–434. , and .
- 2011. Timing of migratory baleen whales at the Azores in relation to the North Atlantic spring bloom. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 440:267–279. , , , , and .
- 2008. Climate of the Arctic marine environment. Ecol. Appl. 18:S3–S22. doi: 10.1890/06-0503.1
- 2002. Ecological responses to recent climate change. Nature 416:389–395. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Occurrence of arctic cod (Boreogadus saida) schools and their vulnerability to predation in the Canadian High Arctic. Arctic 46:331–339. , , and .
- 1978. The importance ot'relative shortage of food in animal ecology. Oecologia (Berlin) 33:71–86.