Investigating sex-specific dynamics using uniparental markers: West New Guinea as a case study
Version of Record online: 2 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 8, pages 2647–2660, August 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(8): 2647–2660
- Issue online: 12 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 27 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAR 2013
- 2012. Improving the accuracy of demographic and molecular clock model comparison while accommodating phylogenetic uncertainty. Mol. Biol. Evol. 29:2157–2167. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Estimating sex-specific processes in human populations: are XY-homologous markers an effective tool? Heredity (Edinb). 96:214–221. , , , , and .
- 2002. Approximate Bayesian computation in population genetics. Genetics 162:2025–2035. , , and .
- 2010. ABC as a flexible framework to estimate demography over space and time: some cons, many pros. Mol. Ecol. 19:2609–2625. , , and .
- 2001. Constructing frames of reference. An analytical method for archaeological theory building using hunther-gatherer and environmental data sets. University of California Press, Berkeley.
- 1977. The recalibration of a paradigm for the first peopling of Greater Australia. Pp. 113–168 in J. Allen, J. Golson, and R. Jones, eds. Sunda and Sahul. Academic Press, London.
- 2000. Population kinetics in the Upper Palaeolithic in Western Europe. J. Archaeol. Sci. 27:551–570. , and .
- 2004. Modern humans did not admix with Neanderthals during their range expansion into Europe. PLoS Biol. 2:e421. , and .
- 2004. SPLATCHE: a program to simulate genetic diversity taking into account environmental heterogeneity. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:139–142. , , and .
- 2007. Stepping-stone spatial structure causes slow decay of linkage disequilibrium and shifts the site frequency spectrum. Genetics 176:969–981. , and .
- 2012. Bridging near and remote Oceania: mtDNA and NRY variation in the Solomon Islands. Mol. Biol. Evol. 29:545–564. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Agricultural origins and the emergence of rectilinear ditch networks in the Highlands of New Guinea. Pp. 329–361 in A. Pawley, R. Attenborough, J. Golson, and R. Hide, eds. Papuan pasts: cultural, linguistic and biological histories of Papuan speaking peoples. Pacific Linguistics, Canberra.
- 2003. Origins of agriculture at Kuk Swamp in the highlands of New Guinea. Science 301:189–193. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Bayesian phylogenetics with BEAUti and the BEAST 1.7. Mol. Biol. Evol. 29:1969–1973. , , , and .
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:564–567. , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 2006. Accuracy of coalescent likelihood estimates: do we need more sites, more sequences, or more loci? Mol. Biol. Evol. 23:691–700.
- 2005. Cross-cultural estimation of the human generation interval for use in genetics-based population divergence studies. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 128:415–423.
- 1996. Early human occupation of northern Australia: archaeology and thermoluminescence dating of Jinmium rock-shelter, Northern Territory. Antiquity 70:751–773. , , and .
- 2003. Mitochondrial DNA diversity in South America and the genetic history of Andean highlanders. Mol. Biol. Evol. 20:1682–1691. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Social anthropology in Papua New Guinea. Pp. 119–135 in R. Attenborough and M. Alpers, eds. Human biology in Papua New Guinea: the small cosmos. Clarendon Press, Oxford. , and .
- 1990. Kuk and the development of agriculture in New Guinea retrospection and introspection. Pp. 139–147 in D. Yen and J. Mummery, eds. Pacific production systems: approaches to economic prehistory. Australian National University, Canberra.
- 2012. Larger mitochondrial DNA than Y-chromosome differences between matrilocal and patrilocal groups from Sumatra. Nat. Commun. 2:228. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. A standardized genetic differentiation measure. Evolution 59:1633–1638.
- 1970. The Dugum Dani: a Papuan Culture in the Highlands of West New Guinea. Aldine Publishing, Chicago, IL.
- 2008. Bayesian inference of population size history from multiple loci. BMC Evol. Biol. 8:289. , and .
- 2012. Sex-specific demographic behaviours that shape human genomic variation. Mol. Ecol. 21:597–612. , , , and .
- 2007. Revealing the prehistoric settlement of Australia by Y chromosome and mtDNA analysis. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:8726–8730. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Gene genealogies and the coalescent process. Pp. 1–44 in D. Futuyma and J. Antonovics, eds. Oxford surveys in evolutionary biology. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1995. Bayes Factors. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 90:773–795. , and .
- 2003. Reduced Y-chromosome, but not mitochondrial DNA, diversity in human populations from West New Guinea. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 72:281–302. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Evaluating the Farming/Language Dispersal Hypothesis with genetic variation exhibited by populations in the Southwest and Mesoamerica. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 107:6759–6764. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. South Coast New Guinea Cultures. History, comparison, dialectic. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1989. Spatial pattern and ecological analysis. Vegetatio 80:107–138. , and .
- 2004. Marital residence among foragers. Curr. Anthropol. 45:277–284.
- 2007. Circuit theory predicts gene flow in plant and animal populations. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:19885–19890. , and .
- 2006. Using the AMOVA framework to estimate a standardized genetic differentiation measure. Evolution 60:2399–2402.
- 2010. Sequencing technologies – the next generation. Nat. Rev. Genet. 11:31–46.
- 2007. Patterns of Y-chromosome diversity intersect with the Trans-New Guinea hypothesis. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:2546–2555. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Mitochondrial DNA and Y-chromosome variation in the caucasus. Ann. Hum. Genet. 68:205–221. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. When did humans first arrive in Greater Australia and why is it important to know? Evol. Anthropol. 6:132–146. , and .
- 2001. Human mtDNA and Y-chromosome variation is correlated with matrilocal versus patrilocal residence. Nat. Genet. 29:20–21. , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. Avalable at http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2002. Statistical properties of new neutrality tests against population growth. Mol. Biol. Evol. 19:2092–2100. , and .
- 2003. Intra-deme molecular diversity in spatially expanding populations. Mol. Biol. Evol. 20:76–86. , , and .
- 1990. Thermoluminescence dating of a 50,000-year-old human occupation site in northern Australia. Nature 345:153–156. , , and .
- 2008. Sex-specific genetic structure and social organization in Central Asia: insights from a multi-locus study. PLoS Genet. 4:e1000200. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Genetic evidence for a higher female migration rate in humans. Nat. Genet. 20:278–280. , , and .
- 1995. A measure of population subdivision based on microsatellite allele frequencies. Genetics 139:457–462.
- 2009. Correcting for purifying selection: an improved human mitochondrial molecular clock. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 84:740–759. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The impact of sampling schemes on the site frequency spectrum in nonequilibrium subdivided populations. Genetics 182:205–216. , , , , and .
- 1998. Modelling Paleoindian dispersals. World Archaeol. 30:286–305. , , and .
- 2010. Human adaptation and plant use in highland New Guinea 49,000 to 44,000 years ago. Science 330:78–81. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Australia's oldest human remains: age of the Lake Mungo 3 skeleton. J. Hum. Evol. 36:591–612. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Mitochondrial DNA variability of West New Guinea populations. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 117:49–67. , , , , and .
- 1998. Segregating sites in Wright's island model. Theor. Popul. Biol. 53:166–174.
- 1999. Nonequilibrium migration in human history. Genetics 153:1863–1871.
- 2001. The coalescent in an island model of population subdivision with variation among demes. Theor. Popul. Biol. 59:133–144.
- 2004. Metapopulation models for historical inference. Mol. Ecol. 13:865–875.
- 2008. Coalescent Theory: an Introduction. Roberts & Company, Greenwood Village, Colorado.
- 2003. Theory of the effects of population structure and sampling on patterns of linkage disequilibrium applied to genomic data from humans. Genetics 164:1043–1053. , and .
- 1999. Indirect measures of gene flow and migration: FST not equal to 1/(4Nm + 1). Heredity 82(Pt 2):117–125. , and .
- 2004. Global patterns of human mitochondrial DNA and Y-chromosome structure are not influenced by higher migration rates of females versus males. Nat. Genet. 36:1122–1125. , , , , and .
- 2004. A separation-of-timescales approach to the coalescent in a continuous population. Genetics 168:2227–2244.
- 2006. Sex-biased migration in humans: what should we expect from genetic data? BioEssays 28:290–300. , and .
- 2003. Inferences from DNA data: population histories, evolutionary processes and forensic match probabilities. J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. A 166:155–188. , , and .
- 2005. Contrasting patterns of Y chromosome and mtDNA variation in Africa: evidence for sex-biased demographic processes. Eur. J. Hum. Genet. 13:867–876. , , , , , , et al.
- 1931. Evolution in Mendelian Populations. Genetics 16:97–159.