Opposing effects on glutathione and reactive oxygen metabolites of sex, habitat, and spring date, but no effect of increased breeding density in great tits (Parus major)
Article first published online: 11 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Author. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 8, pages 2730–2738, August 2013
Total views since publication: 130
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(8): 2730–2738
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 11 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAR 2013
- 2008. Redox considerations in female reproductive function and assisted reproduction: from molecular mechanisms to health implications. Antioxid. Redox Signal. 10:1375–1403. , , , and .
- 2000. The radical cation of N,N-diethyl-para-phenylenediamine: a possible indicator of oxidative stress in biological samples. Res. Chem. Intermed. 26:253–267. , , , and .
- 2004. Increased susceptibility to oxidative stress as a proximate cost of reproduction. Ecol. Lett. 7:363–368. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Age and breeding effort as source of individual variability in oxidative stress markers in a bird species. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 83:110–118. , , , , and .
- 1990. Microtiter plate assay for the measurement of glutathione and glutathione disulfide in large numbers of biological samples. Anal. Biochem. 190:360–365. , , and .
- 2006. Immune activation increases the susceptibility to oxidative tissue damage in zebra finches. Funct. Ecol. 20:1022–1027. , , , and .
- 2008. Fecundity and survival in relation to resistance to oxidative stress in a free-living bird. Ecology 89:2584–2593. , , , , and .
- 2000. Mitochondrial free radical generation, oxidative stress, and ageing. Free Radical Biol. Med. 29:222–230. , and .
- 2012. Twofold cost of reproduction: an increase in parental effort leads to higher malarial parasitaemia and to a decrease in resistance to oxidative stress. Proc. Biol. Sci. 279:1142–1149. , , , , and .
- 2010. Complex trade-offs in the pigeon (Columba livia): egg antioxidant capacity and female serum oxidative status in relation to diet quality. J. Comp. Physiol. B. 180:731–739.
- 2011. On the measurement of circulating antioxidant capacity and the nightmare of uric acid. Methods Ecol. Evol. 2:321–325.
- 2011. Spatio-temporal variation in territory quality and oxidative status: a natural experiment in the Seychelles warbler (Acrocephalus sechellensis). J. Anim. Ecol. 80:668–680. , , , and .
- 2012. Parasitic infection and oxidative status are associated and vary with breeding activity in the Seychelles warbler. Proc. Biol. Sci. 279:1466–1476. , , , , and .
- 2005. A new automated colorimetric method for measuring total oxidant status. Clin. Biochem. 38:1103–1111.
- 2000. Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of ageing. Nature 408:239–247. , and .
- 1985. Role of thyroid and testicular hormones in the oxidative metabolism of the Indian garden lizard, Calotes versicolor. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 58:20–27. , and .
- 2002. Free radicals in biology and medicine. Clarendon Press, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- 2010. How to measure oxidative stress in an ecological context: methodological and statistical issues. Funct. Ecol. 24:960–970. , and .
- 2007. Carotenoid diet and nestling provisioning in urban and rural great tits Parus major. J. Avian Biol. 38:564–572. , and .
- 2005. Plasma glutathione and carotenoid coloration as potential biomarkers of environmental stress in great tits. EcoHealth 2:138–146. , , , and .
- 2011a. The challenge of integrating oxidative stress into life-history biology. Bioscience 61:194–202. , , and .
- 2011b. Oxidative stress physiology in relation to life history traits of a free-living vertebrate: the spotted snow skink, Niveoscincus ocellatus. Integr. Zool. 6:140–149. , , , , and .
- 2013. Explaining variance of avian malaria infection in the wild: the importance of host density, habitat, individual life-history and oxidative stress. BMC Ecol. 13:15. , , , and .
- 2002. Pre-ovulation control of hatchling sex ratio in the Seychelles warbler. Proc. Biol. Sci. 269:1067–1072. , , and .
- 2008. Neuroendocrine control of life histories: what do we need to know to understand the evolution of phenotypic plasticity? Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 363:1589–1598.
- 2004. Oxidative stress: potential of distinct peroxide determination systems. Clin. Chem. Lab. Med. 42:907–914. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Does reproduction cause oxidative stress? An open question. Trends Ecol. Evol. 28:347–350. , and .
- 2009. Oxidative stress as a mediator of life history trade-offs: mechanisms, measurements and interpretation. Ecol. Lett. 12:75–92. , , and .
- 2010. Repeatability for Gaussian and non-Gaussian data: a practical guide for biologists. Biol. Rev. 85:935–956. , and .
- 2009. Life history correlates of oxidative damage in a free-living mammal population. Funct. Ecol. 23:809–817. , , , and .
- 1991. Tits and their caterpillar food supply. Ibis 133:49–54.
- 1989. Laying dates and clutch size in the great tit. Wilson Bull. 101:236–253. , and .
- 2002. Experimental design and data analysis for biologists. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- 2008. Pro-oxidant shift in glutathione redox state during aging. Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 60:1545–1552. , and .
- 2010. Evolution of senescence in nature: physiological evolution in populations of garter snake with divergent life histories. Am. Nat. 175:147–159. , and .
- 2008. The impact of experimentally elevated energy expenditure on oxidative stress and lifespan in the short-tailed vole Microtus agrestis. Proc. Biol. Sci. 275:1907–1916. , , , , and .
- 2009. Food level and sex shape predator-induced physiological stress: immune defence and antioxidant defence. Oecologia 161:461–467. , , and .
- 2009. Inflammation and oxidative stress in vertebrate host–parasite systems. Philos. Trans. R. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 364:71–83. , and .
- 2011. The free-radical damage theory: accumulating evidence against a simple link of oxidative stress and lifespan. BioEssays 33:255–259. , and .
- 2012. Constraint and cost of oxidative stress on reproduction:correlative evidence in laboratory mice and review of the literature. Front. Zool. 9:37. , , , , and .
- 1992. Identification guide to European passerines. Märstatryck, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2009. Sex-specific effects of prenatal testosterone on nestling plasma antioxidant capacity in the zebra finch. J. Exp. Biol. 212:89–94. , and .
- 1994. A microtiter plate assay for total glutathione and glutathione disulfide contents in cultured/isolated cells - performance study of a new miniaturized protocol. Cell Biol. Toxicol. 10:415–421. , , , , and .
- 2004. The antioxidants and proantioxidants network: an overview. Curr. Pharm. Des. 10:1677–1694. , , and .
- 2005. Why females live longer than males: control of longevity by sex hormones. Sci. Aging Knowledge Environ. 23:17. , , , , and .
- 2004. Birds sacrifice oxidative protection for reproduction. Proc. Biol. Sci. 271:S360–S363. , , , and .
- 2006. Density effects on life-history traits in a wild population of the great tit Parus major: analyses of long-term data with GIS techniques. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:604–615. , , , and .