Age-specific responses to spring temperature in a migratory songbird: older females attempt more broods in warmer springs
Article first published online: 13 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 10, pages 3298–3306, September 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(10): 3298–3306
- Issue published online: 19 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 13 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAR 2013
- VCU Rice student Center Research grants
- Institute for Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). Grant Number: AM10230
- 2007. Interactive effects of food and age on breeding in the Montagu's Harrier (Circus pygargus). Ibis 149:806–813. , , and .
- 1991. Nest box Selection by Prothonotary Warblers. J. Field Ornithol. 62:299–307. , and .
- 1999. Relationships to clutch size and hatching success to age of female Prothonotary Warblers. Wilson Bull. 111:577–581. , , and .
- 2006. Climate change and population declines in long-distance migratory bird. Nature 441:81–83. , , , and .
- 2009. Great tits growing old: selective disappearance and the partitioning of senescence to stages within the breeding cycle. Proc. Biol. Sci. 276:2769–2777. , , , and .
- 2009. Age-specific reproduction and survival of individually marked Wood Thrushes, Hylocichla mustelina. Ecology 90:218–229. , and .
- 1999. Effects of elevated temperature on multi-species interactions: the case of Pedunculate Oak, Winter Moth and Tits. Funct. Ecol. 13:74–82. , , , , and .
- 2001. Influence of salinity and temperature on the growth and production of a freshwater mayfly in the Lower Mobile River, Alabama. Limnol. Oceanogr. 46:532–542. , and .
- 1996. Nesting success of the prothonotary warbler in the upper Mississippi River bottomlands. Wilson Bull. 108:457–466.
- 2010. Toward a synthetic understanding of the role of phenology in ecology and evolution. Philos. Trans. R Soc. Lond B. Biol. Sci. 365:3101–3112. , and .
- 1995. Age and reproduction in birds – hypotheses and tests. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10:374–378. , and .
- 1990. Incidence and determinants of double brooding in Wrentits. Condor 92:67–75. , and .
- 2003. Decision rules for site fidelity in a migratory bird, the prothonotary warbler. Ecology 84:416–430.
- 2006. Water depth influences nest predation for a wetland-dependent bird in fragmented bottomland forests. Biol. Conserv. 127:37–45.
- 2009. Decline in the frequency and benefits of multiple brooding in great tits as a consequence of a changing environment. Proc. Biol. Sci. 276:1845–1855. , , and .
- 2006. Effects of synchronization with host plant phenology occur early in the larval development of a spring folivore. Can. J. Zool. 84:628–633. , and .
- 1951. The population ecology of the Great Tit, Parus major L. Ardea 39:1–135.
- 2011. Challenging claims in the study of migratory birds and climate change. Biol. Rev. 86:928–946. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Age-specific variation in reproduction is largely explained by the timing of territory establishment in the New Zealand stitchbird (Notiomustis cincta). J. Anim. Ecol. 76:459–470. , , and .
- 2008. Climate change and micro-geographic variation in laying date. Oecologia 155:845–857.
- 2008. Occurrence and implications of double brooding in a southern population of Tree Swallows. Condor 110:382–386. , , , and .
- 1998. Effects of double brooding on productivity of crested caracaras. Auk 115:979–987.
- 2002. Variation in a Sparrow's Reproductive Success with Rainfall: food and Predator-Mediated Processes. Oecologia 133:315–324. , and .
- 1990. The biological significance of age-specific return schedules in breeding purple martins. Condor 92:1040–1050. , and .
- 2004. Factors influencing fecundity in migratory songbirds: is nest predation the most important? J. Avian Biol. 35:487–491. , and .
- 2005a. To double-brood or not? Individual variation in the reproductive effort in black-throated blue warblers. Auk 122:902–914. , and .
- 2005b. Food limits annual fecundity of a migratory songbird: an experimental study. Ecology 86:675–681. , and .
- 1989. Lifetime Reproduction in Birds. Academic Press, London, UK.
- 1998. Population Limitation in Birds. Academic Press, London, UK.
- 1996. Constraints on double brooding in a neotropical migrant, the hooded warbler. Condor 98:736–744. , and .
- 2001. The effects of territory quality on age-dependent reproductive performance in the northern wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe). Anim. Behav. 62:379–388.
- 1965. Population fluctuations and clutch-size in the great tit, Parus major. J. Anim. Ecol. 34:601–647.
- 1989. Breeding biology of Prothonotary Warblers in riverine habitat in Tennessee. Wilson Bull. 101:51–61.
- 1999. Prothonotary Warbler (Protonotaria citrea). in A. Poole, ed. The Birds of North America Online. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca. Available at http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/408.
- 1997. Identification Guide to North American Birds. Part I. Columbidae to Ploceidae. Slate Creek Press, Bolinas, California.
- 2013. Phenological mismatch strongly affects individual but not population demography in a woodland passerine. J. Anim. Ecol. 82:131–144. , , and .
- 2001. A long-term study of reproductive performance in tree swallows: the influence of age and senescence on output. J. Anim. Ecol. 70:1014–1031. , and .
- 1992. Results of experimental and natural food reductions for breeding black-throated blue warblers. Ecology 73:357–372. , and .
- 2000. Avian life history variation and contribution of demographic traits to the population growth rate. Ecology 81:642–653. , and .
- 2012. Increasing temperature, not mean temperature is a cue for avian timing of reproduction. Am. Nat. 179:E55–E69. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Seasonal decline of offspring quality in the European Starling Sturnus vulgaris: an immune challenge experiment. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 66:697–709. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011) Large-scale variation in the temporal patterns of the frass fall of defoliating caterpillars in oak woodlands in Britain: implications for nesting woodland birds. Bird Study 58:506–511. , , , , , , et al. (
- 1976. Life history tactics: a review of the ideas. Q. Rev. Biol. 51:3–47.
- 2011. Brood size and late breeding are negatively related to juvenile survival in a neotropical migratory songbird. Auk 128:716–725. , , , , and .
- 2011. Environmental controls on the phenology of moths: predicting plasticity and constraint under climate change. Oecologia 165:237–248. , , , , and .
- 1996. Seasonal variation in the incidence of double broods: the date hypothesis fits better than the quality hypothesis. J. Anim. Ecol. 65:264–273. , and .
- 2001. Food, reproductive success and multiple breeding in the Great Tit (Parus major). Ardea 89:387–406. , , and .
- 1998. Warmer springs lead to mistimed reproduction in great tits (Parus major). Proc. Biol. Sci. 265:1867–1870. , , , and .
- 2003. Variable responses to large-scale climate change in European Parus populations. Proc. Biol. Sci. 270:367–372. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Shifts in caterpillar biomass phenology due to climate change and its impact on the breeding biology of an insectivorous bird. Oecologia 147:164–172. , , and .
- 1953. Life-history of the ProthonotaryWarbler. Wilson Bull. 65:152–168.