Effects of experimental warming on stomatal traits in leaves of maize (Zea may L.)
Article first published online: 1 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 9, pages 3095–3111, September 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(9): 3095–3111
- Issue published online: 8 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 1 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 7 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 FEB 2013
- National Key Research and Development Program of China. Grant Number: 2010CB833500
- 2012. New grass phylogeny resolves deep evolutionary relationships and discovers C4 origins. New Phytol. 193:304–312. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Stomatal distribution, density and conductance of three perennial grasses native to the southern true trairie of Texas. Am. Midl. Nat. 123:152–159. , and .
- 2000. Morphology and stomatal function of Douglas fir needles exposed to climate change: elevated CO2 and temperature. Int. J. Plant Sci. 161:127–132. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Genome size is a strong predictor of cell size and stomatal density in angiosperms. New Phytol. 179:975–986. , , , , and .
- 1997. Carbon isotope discrimination and stomatal responses of mature Pinus sylvestris L. trees exposed in situ for three years to elevated CO2 and temperature. Acta Oncol. 18:697–712.
- 1993. The impact of atmospheric CO2 and temperature change on stomatal density: observations from Quercus robur Lammas leaves. Ann. Bot. 71:231–235. , and .
- 2000. A subtilisin-like serine protease involved in the regulation of stomatal density and distribution in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genes Dev. 14:1119–1131. , and .
- 2004. Stomatal development and pattern controlled by a MAPKK Kinase. Science 304:1494–1497. , , and .
- 2004. Integrating signals in stomatal development. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 7:26–32.
- 1997. Qualitative effects of patchy stomatal conductance distribution features on gas-exchange calculations. Plant, Cell Environ. 20:867–880. , , and .
- 2008. Influence of environmental factors on stomatal development. New Phytol. 178:9–23. , and .
- 2010. Environmental regulation of stomatal development. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 13:90–95. , and .
- 1995. Effects of CO2 enrichment, leaf position and clone on stomatal index and epidermal cell density in polar (Populus). New Phytol. 131:99–107. , , and .
- 1997. A three-dimensional synthesis of vegetation feedbacks in doubled CO2 climate experiments. J. Geophys. Res. 102:5857–5872. , , , , , , et al.
- 1975. Stomatal size and frequency in soybeans. Crop Sci. 15:309–313. , and .
- 2005. Ultraviolet-B radiation and nitrogen affect the photosynthesis of maize: a Mediterranean field study. Eur. J. Agron. 22:337–347. , , , , and .
- 1998. Stomatal patterning in monocotyledons: Tradescantia as a model system. J. Exp. Bot. 49:279–292.
- 2000) Stomatal patterning in angiosperms. Am. J. Bot. 87, 1069–1080. (
- 2008) Response of wild C4 crop progenitors to subambient CO2 highlights a possible role in the origin of agriculture. Glob. Change Biol. 14, 576–587. , , , and (
- 1983. Statistical analysis of spatial point patterns. Academic Press, London.
- 2006. Specification of adaxial and abaxial stomata, epidermal structure and photosynthesis to CO2 enrichment in maize leaves. J. Exp. Bot. 57:381–390. , , , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of maize leaf photosynthesis under droughtstress. Can. J. Plant Sci. 72:477–481. , , and .
- 2007. High temperature acclimation of C4 photosynthesis is linked to changes in photosynthetic biochemistry. Plant, Cell Environ. 30:53–66. , , , and .
- 2003. Effect of drought stress on leaf and whole canopy radiation use efficiency and yield of maize. Agron. J. 95:688–696. , and .
- 1997. C4 photosynthesis, atmospheric CO2, and climate. Oecologia 112:285–299. , , and .
- 2000. The ultraviolet action spectrum for stomatal opening in broad bean. Plant Physiol. 122:99–105. , , , and .
- 1991. Diurnal variations in temperature affect cellular elongation but not division. Hort. Sci. 26:721. , , and .
- 1994. Day/night temperature environment affects cell elongation but not division in Lilium longiflorum Thunb. J. Exp. Bot. 45:1019–1025. , , and .
- 2006) Stomatal opening at elevated temperature: an underestimated regulatory mechanism? Genet. Plant Physiol. Special issue, 19–31. (
- 1996. Elevated CO2 and temperature have different effects on leaf anatomy of perennial ryegrass in spring and summer. Ann. Bot. 78:489–497. , , , and .
- 2002. Leaf stomatal and epidermal cell development: identification of putative quantitative trait loci in relation to elevated carbon dioxide concentration in polar. Tree Physiol. 22:633–640. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Maximum leaf conductance driven by CO2 effects on stomatal size and density over geologic time. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 106:10343–10347. , and .
- 2009. Plasticity in maximum stomatal conductance constrained by negative correlation between stomatal size and density: an analysis using Eucalyptus globulus. Plant, Cell Environ. 32:1737–1748. , , and .
- 2009. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity of Pseudoroegneria spicata: response of stomatal density, leaf area and biomass to changes in water supply and increased temperature. Ann. Bot. 103:769–775. , , , , and .
- 1990. Leaf blade stomatal characterizations and evapotranspiration rates of 12 cool-season perennial grasses. Hort. Sci. 25:760–761. , , and .
- 2003. The nitrate transporter AtNRT1.1 (CHL1) functions in stomatal opening and contributes to drought susceptibility in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 15:107–117. , , and .
- 1997. Spatial pattern in Anthyllis cytioides shrubland on abandoned land in southeastern Spain. J. Veg. Sci. 8:627–634. , , , and .
- 2007. The secretory peptide gene EPF1 enforces the stomatal one-cell-spacing rules. Genes Dev. 21:1720–1725. , , , , and .
- 2010. Differences in the response sensitivity of stomatal index to atmospheric CO2 among four genera of Cupressaceae conifers. Ann. Bot. 105:411–418. , , and .
- 1964. Effect of ultraviolet light on stomatal movement. Biol. Plant. 6:70–72.
- 2003. The role of stomata in sensing and driving environmental change. Nature 424:901–908. , and .
- 1995. The responses of stomata to abscisic acid and temperature are interrelated. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 259:301–306. , , and .
- 2012. Is the change of winter wheat yield under warming caused by shortened reproductive period? Ecol. Evol. 2:2999–3008. , , , , and .
- 2001. The influence of temperature and genotype on the growth and stomatal morphology of southern beech, Nothofagus cunninghamii (Nothofagaceae). Aust. J. Bot. 49:427–434.
- 1970. Light-dependent influx and efflux of potassium of guard cells during stomatal opening and closing. Plant Physiol. 46:483–487. , and .
- 2009. The signaling peptide EPF2 controls asymmetric cell divisions during stomatal development. Curr. Biol. 19:864–869. , and .
- 2010. The signalling peptide EPFL9 is a positive regulator of stomatal development. New Phytol. 186:609–614. , , and .
- 2011. The effect of experimental warming on leaf function traits, leaf structure and leaf biochemistry in Arabidopsis thaliana. BMC Plant Biol. 11:35. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Specification of adaxial cell fate during maize leaf development. Development 131:4533–4544. , , and .
- 2004. Effect of salicylic acid on the growth, photosynthesis and carbohydrate metabolism in salt stressed maize plants. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 6:1–8.
- 2005. Theory and performance of an infrared heater for ecosystem warming. Glob. Change Biol. 11:2041–2056.
- 2004. Disruption of AtMRP4, a guard cell plasma membrane ABCC-type ABC transporter, leads to deregulation of stomatal opening and increased drought susceptibility. Plant J. 39:219–236. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Stomatal density is controlled by a mesophyll-derived signaling molecule. Plant Cell Physiol. 51:1–8. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Stomatal frequency change over altitudinal gradients: prospects for paleoaltimetry. Rev. Mineral. Geochem. 66:215–241. , , and .
- 2001. Dominant negative guard cell K+ channel mutants reduce inward-rectifying K+ currents and light-induced stomatal opening in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 127:473–485. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Response of stomatal numbers to CO2 and humidity: control by transpiration rate and abscisic acid. New Phytol. 179:397–404. , and .
- 2002. Long-distance CO2 signalling in plants. J. Exp. Bot. 53:183–193. , , and .
- 2011. Global CO2 rise leads to reduced maximum stomatal conductance in Florida vegetation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 108:4035–4040. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Arabidopsis stomatal initiation is controlled by MAPK-mediated regulation of the bHLH SPEECHLESS. Science 322:1113–1116. , , and .
- 1971. Responses of stomata to changes in humidity. Planta 100:76–86. , , , and .
- 2006. Photosynthesis, productivity, and yield of maize are not affected by open-air elevation of CO2 concentration in the absence of drought. Plant Physiol. 140:779–790. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. AtMYB61, an R2R3-MYB transcription factor controlling stomatal aperture in Arabidopsis thaliana. Curr. Biol. 15:1201–1206. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Genome size as a predictor of guard cell length in Arabidopsis thaliana is independent of environmental conditions. New Phytol. 181:311–314. , , , , and .
- 2009. Terrestrial carbon-cycle feedback to climate warming: experimental evidence on plant regulation and impacts of biofuel feedstock harvest. Glob. Change Biol. Bioenergy 1:62–74. , , , and .
- 2005. Stomatal density, anatomy and nutrient concentrations of Scots pine needles are affected by elevated CO2 and temperature. Plant, Cell Environ. 28:733–749. , , , , and .
- 2012. Stomatal density distribution patterns in leaves of the Jatobá (Hymenaea courbaril L.). Trees Struct. Funct. 26:571–579. , , , , , and .
- 1982. The adaptive significance of amphistomatic leaves. Plant, Cell Environ. 5:455–460. , , and .
- 1994. Nitrogen response of leaf photosynthesis and canopy radiation use efficiency in field-grown maize and sorghum. Crop Sci. 34:721–727. , and .
- 2002. Control of stomatal distribution on the Arabidopsis leaf surface. Science 296:1697–1700. , and .
- 2007. Field facilities in global warming and terrestrial ecosystem research. Chinese J. Plant Ecol. 31:262–271. , , , and .
- 1979. Stomatal responses to light and CO2 in greening wheat leaves. Plant Cell Physiol. 20:445–452.
- 2009. Ecological selection pressures for C4 photosynthesis in the grasses. Proc. R. Soc. B 276:1753–1760. , and .
- 1978. The adaptive significance of stomatal occurrence on one or both surfaces of leaves. J. Ecol. 66:367–383.
- 1990. Effects of CO2 enrichment on four polar clones. Leaf surface properties. Ann. Bot. 65:627–632. , and .
- 1998. Interactions of CO2 enrichment and temperature on cotton growth and leaf characteristics. Environ. Exp. Bot. 39:117–129. , , , , and .
- 2010. Interactions between temperature, drought and stomatal opening in legumes. Environ. Exp. Bot. 68:37–43. , , , , , and .
- 1976. The second-order analysis of stationary processes. J. Appl. Probab. 13:255–266.
- 1995. Was low atmosphere CO2 during the Pleistocene a limiting factor for the origin of agriculture? Glob. Change Biol. 1:93–106.
- 2007. The temperature response of C3 and C4 photosynthesis. Plant, Cell Environ. 30:1086–1106. , and .
- 1927. On the causes and ecological significance of stomatal frequency, with special reference to the woodland flora. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 216:1–65.
- 2003. Photosynthetic performance of an Arabidopsis mutant with elevated stomatal density (sdd1-1) under different light regimes. J. Exp. Bot. 54:867–874. , , , and .
- 1974. The role of air humidity and leaf temperature in controlling stomatal resistance of Prunus armeniaca L. under desert conditions. Oecologia 17:159–170. , , , , and .
- 2009. Extracellular ATP activates an Arabidopsis plasma membrane Ca2 + -permeable conductance. Plant Signal. Behav. 4:989–991. , , and .
- 1981. Effect of light quality on stomatal opening in leaves of Xanthium strumarium L. Plant Physiol. 68:1170–1174. , and .
- 1969. Environmental modifications of leaf surface traits in Datura stramonium. Can. J. Bot. 47:1211–1216. , and .
- 2008. Influence of arbuscular mycorrhizae on photosynthesis and water status of maize plants under salt stress. Mycorrhiza 18:287–296. , , , , , and .
- 2007) Light regulation of stomatal movement. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 58, 219–247. , , , and (
- 2005. Stomatal patterning and differentiation by synergistic interactions of receptor kinases. Science 309:290–293. , , , and .
- 1991. Spatial patterns and dynamics of woody vegetation in an arid savanna. J. Veg. Sci. 2:565–572.
- 1989. Variation in stomatal characteristics over the lower surface of Commelina communis leaves. Plant, Cell Environ. 12:653–659. , , and .
- 1998. Associations between leaf structure, orientation and sunlight exposure in five Western Australian communities. Am. J. Bot. 85:56–63. , , and .
- 2008. Adaxial/abaxial specification in the regulation of photosynthesis and stomatal opening with respect to light orientation and growth with CO2 enrichment in the C4 species Paspalum dilatatum. New Phytol. 177:186–198. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Stomatal characteristics in different habitat forms of Brazilian species of Epidendrum (Orchidaceae). Nord. J. Bot. 19:271–275. , , and .
- 2010. Stomagen positively regulates stomatal density in Arabidopsis. Nature 463:241–246. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Protein phosphatase 1 positively regulates stomatal opening in response to blue light in Vicia faba. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 103:13549–13554. , , , and .
- 2000. Spatial distribution of expansion rate, cell division rate and cell size in maize leaves: a synthesis of the effects of soil water status, evaporative demand and temperature. J. Exp. Bot. 51:1505–1514. , , , , and .
- 2012. Photosynthetic pathway and ecological adaptation explain stomatal trait diversity amongst grasses. New Phytol. 193:387–396. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006) Elevated CO2 induces physiological, biochemical and structural changes in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytol. 172, 92–103. , , , , , and (
- 1982) Photosynthetic characteristics during ontogenesis of leaves. 7. Stomata density and sizes. Photosynthetica 16, 375–471. (
- 2007. Stomatal development and patterning are regulated by environmentally responsive mitogen-activated protein kinases in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19:63–73. , , , , and .
- 2009. Comparative genomic analysis of C4 photosynthetic pathway evolution in grasses. Genome Biol. 10:R68. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Stomata. Chapman and Hall, London, UK. , and .
- 1987. Stomatal numbers are sensitive to increases in CO2 from preindustrial levels. Nature 327:617–618.
- 2005. Effects of water stress and high nocturnal temperature on photosynthesis and nitrogen level of a perennial grass Leymus chinensis. Plant Soil 269:131–139. , and .
- 2009. Effects of soil drought with nocturnal warming on leaf stomatal traits and mesophyll cell ultrastructure of a perennial grass. Crop Sci. 49:1843–1851. , , and .
- 2006. CO2 signaling in guard cells: calcium sensitivity response modulation, a Ca2 + -independent phase, and CO2 insensitivity of the gca2 mutant. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 103:7506–7511. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Effect of photoperiod on some stomatal characteristics of in vitro cultured fruit tree shoots. Plant Cell, Tissue Organ Cult. 49:195–200. , , and .
- 2012. Applying Application of root zone water quality model to simulate water and nitrogen use efficiency of winter wheat-summer maize double cropping system II. Model validation and scenario analysis. J. Hydraul. Eng. 43:354–362. , and .
- 2010. Effects of temperature increase and grazing on stomatal density and length of four alpine Kobresia meadow species, Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Acta Ecol. Sin. 30:6961–6969. , , , , and .
- 2005. Responses of plant stomata to elevated CO2 and temperature: observations from 10 plant species grown in temperature and CO2 gradients. Acta Ecol. Sin. 25:565–574. , , , , , and .