Landscape heterogeneity drives intra-population niche variation and reproduction in an arctic top predator
Article first published online: 24 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 9, pages 2867–2879, September 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(9): 2867–2879
- Issue published online: 8 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 24 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 14 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 JAN 2013
- ArcticNet Network of Centres of Excellence of Canada. Grant Numbers: #570805, #10724C, 10724D, 10724D
- Government of Nunavut Wildlife research. Grant Number: #WL-2008-1000
- Canadian Wildlife Service. Grant Number: #NUN-SCI-08-03
- NSERC Alexander Graham-Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship. Grant Numbers: #570805, #10724C, 10724D, 10724D, #WL-2008-1000, #NUN-SCI-08-03
- Centre d'Études Nordiques, Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
- Government of Nunavut
- Department of Environment, Government of Northwest Territories
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Nunavut Wildlife Management Board
- Université du Québec à Rimouski
- University of Alberta Animal Care. Grant Number: #570805
- Canadian Wildlife Service. Grant Numbers: #10724C, 10724D, 10724D, #WL-2008-1000, #NUN-SCI-08-03
- 2012. Effets des précipitations estivales sur les faucons pèlerins (Falco peregrinus) nichant dans l'arctique. Thèse de maîtrise, Université du Québec à Rimouski, Rimouski 52 p.
- 1999. Long-term reproductive output in Western Gulls: consequences of alternate tactics in diet choice. Ecology 80:288–297. , and .
- 1998. Fertilization of terrestrial vegetation by spawning Pacific salmon: the role of flooding and predator activity. Oikos 83:47–55. , , and .
- 2003. The ecology of individuals: incidence and implications of individual specialization. Am. Nat. 161:1–28. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Ecological release from interspecific competition leads to decoupled changes in population and individual niche width. Proc. Biol. Sci. 277:1789–1797. , , , , , and .
- 1991. The diet of peregrine falcons in Rankin Inlet, Northwest-Territories – an unusually high proportion of mammalian prey. Condor 93:193–197. , and .
- 1997. Influence of weather on breeding success of peregrine falcons in the Arctic. Auk 114:786–791. , , , and .
- 2008. Food regulates reproduction differently in different habitats: experimental evidence in the Goshawk. Ecology 89:1696–1702. , and .
- 2007. Interactions between habitat heterogeneity and food affect reproductive output in a top predator. J. Anim. Ecol. 76:392–401. , , , and .
- 1960. Ecology of the peregrine and gyrfalcon populations in Alaska. Univ. Calif. Publ. Zool., 63:151–290.
- 2004. Biodiversity, distributions and adaptations of arctic species in the context of environmental change. Ambio 33:404–417. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Components of breeding performance in two competing species: habitat heterogeneity, individual quality and density-dependence. Oikos 112:680–690. , , , , and .
- 2007. Update COSEWIC status report on peregrine falcon, Falco peregrinus. Prepared for Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, Environment Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada. , and .
- 1988. Natural-history of the peregrine falcon in the Keewatin District of the northwest-territories. Arctic 41:17–30. , , and .
- 2012. The influence of coastal access on isotope variation in icelandic arctic foxes. PLoS ONE 7:e32071. , , , , and .
- 2009. Landscape heterogeneity and marine subsidy generate extensive intrapopulation niche diversity in a large terrestrial vertebrate. J. Anim. Ecol. 78:126–133. , , and .
- 2008. Spatial scale of local breeding habitat quality and adjustment of breeding decisions. Ecology 89:1436–1444. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Stable isotope analysis: modelling lipid normalization for muscle and eggs from arctic mammals and birds. Methods Ecol. Evol. 2:66–76. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Climatic conditions during outward migration affect adult survival of an arctic top predator, the peregrine falcon. J. Avian Biol. 42:544–551. , , , and .
- 2012. Benefiting from a migratory prey: spatio-temporal patterns in allochtonous subsidization of an arctic predator. J. Anim. Ecol. 81:533–542. , , , , , and .
- 2008. The influence of territory characteristics and food supply on the breeding performance of the Red-backed Shrike (Lanius collurio) in an extensively farmed region of eastern Poland. Ecol. Res. 23:347–353. , and .
- 2000. Adult prey choice affects chick growth and reproductive success in pigeon guillemots. Auk 117:82–91. , , , and .
- 2003. Habitat composition as a determinant of reproductive success of Tengmalm's owls under fluctuating food conditions. Oikos 100:162–171. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Assessing avian diets using stable isotopes. 2. Factors influencing diet-tissue fractionation. Condor 94:189–197. , and .
- 1993. Turnover of C-13 in cellular and plasma fractions of blood – implications for nondestructive sampling in avian dietary studies. Auk 110:638–641. , and .
- 1988. Prey selection by peregrine falcons during the nestling stage. J. Wildl. Manage. 52:730–736. , , and .
- 1991. Working with heterogeneity: an operator's guide to environmental gradients. Pp. 181–201 in J. Kolasa, S. T. A. Pickett, eds. Ecological heterogeneity. Springer, New York.
- 2011. The importance of marine vs. human-induced subsidiesin the maintenance of an expanding mesocarnivore in the arctic tundra. J. Anim. Ecol. 80:1049–1060. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Habitat quality as a predictor of spatial variation in blue tit reproductive performance: a multi-plot analysis in a heterogeneous landscape. Oecologia 141:555–561. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Can stable isotope ratios provide for community-wide measures of trophic structure? Ecology 88:42–48. , , , and .
- 2012. Applying stable isotopes to examine food-web structure: an overview of analytical tools. Biol. Rev. 87:545–562. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Predator behaviour and predation risk in the heterogeneous Arctic environment. J. Anim. Ecol. 77:439–447. , , , and .
- 2011. Intrapopulation variability shaping isotope discrimination and turnover: experimental evidence in arctic foxes. PLoS ONE 6:e21357. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Subsidy hypothesis and strength of trophic cascades across ecosystems. Ecol. Lett. 11:1147–1156. , and .
- 2011. Contrasting patterns of individual specialization and trophic coupling in two marine apex predators. J. Anim. Ecol. 80:294–305. , , and .
- 1990. Status of the peregrine falcon, Falco peregrinus pealei, on Langara Island, Queen Charlotte Islands, British-Columbia, 1968–1989. Can. Field-Nat. 104:193–199.
- 1979. On the theory of central place foraging. Pp. 155–177 in D. J. Horn, E. T. Stairs and R. D. Mitchell, eds. Analysis of ecological systems. Ohio State Univ. Press Columbus, Columbus, OH. , and .
- 2010. Source partitioning using stable isotopes: coping with too much variation. PLoS ONE 5:e9672. , , , and .
- 2002. Incorporating concentration dependence in stable isotope mixing models. Oecologia 130:114–125. , and .
- 2011. A conceptual framework for the evolution of ecological specialisation. Ecol. Lett. 14:841–851. , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1980. The peregrine falcon. Buteo books, Vermillion, SD 416 p.
- 2000. Numerical and functional responses of migrant bald eagles exploiting a seasonally concentrated food source. Condor 102:561–568. , , and .
- 1998. The distribution and abundance of coyotes: the effects of allochthonous food subsidies from the sea. Ecology 79:998–1007. , and .
- 1995. Prey of peregrine falcons breeding in West Greenland. Condor 97:763–770. , , , and .
- 2002. Temporal variability in arctic fox diet as reflected in stable-carbon isotopes; the importance of sea ice. Oecologia 133:70–77.
- 2003. Variability in marine resources affects arctic fox population dynamics. J. Anim. Ecol. 72:668–676.
- 1971. Theory of feeding strategies. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 2:369–404.
- 2009. Short- and long-term consequences of individual and territory quality in a long-lived bird. Oecologia 160:507–514. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Optimal diet theory: when does it work, and when and why does it fail? Anim. Behav. 61:379–390. , and .
- 2007. Intraspecific competition drives increased resource use diversity within a natural population. Proc. Biol. Sci. 274:839–844. , and .
- 1991. Breeding performance in the Western Gull – effects of parental age, timing of breeding and year in relation to food availability. J. Anim. Ecol. 60:135–149. , , , , and .
- 2012. The marine side of a terrestrial carnivore: intra-population variation in use of allochthonous resources by arctic foxes. PLoS ONE 7:e42427. , , , and .
- 2008. Food limitation leads to behavioral diversification and dietary specialization in sea otters. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105:560–565. , , and .
- 2010. A general hypothesis-testing framework for stable isotope ratios in ecological studies. Ecology 91:2227–2233. , , and .
- 2005. Intrapopulation variation in gray wolf isotope (delta N-15 and delta C-13) profiles: implications for the ecology of individuals. Oecologia 145:317–326. , and .
- 2004. Reproductive consequences for Great Skuas specializing as seabird predators. Condor 106:275–287. , , , and .
- 2008. Peregrine falcon Falco peregrinus. The birds of north America online. Cornell lab of ornithology and the American ornithologist's Union, Ithaca, NY. Available via http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/. (accessed 10 September 2008). , , and .