Y-chromosome evidence supports asymmetric dog introgression into eastern coyotes
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 9, pages 3005–3020, September 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(9): 3005–3020
- Issue published online: 8 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 20 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 APR 2013
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
- Natural Sciences Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- 1990. Amplification of the Zfy and Zfx genes for sex identification in humans, cattle, sheep and goats. Biotechnology 8:1279–1281. , and .
- 2003. Widespread occurrence of a domestic dog mitochondrial DNA haplotype in southeastern US coyotes. Mol. Ecol. 12:541–546. , , and .
- 1931. Animal aggregations: a study in general sociology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1985. Behavioral ecology of coyotes in south Texas. Wildl. Monogr. 94:3–45.
- 2009. Molecular and evolutionary history of melanism in North America gray wolves. Science 323:1339–1343. , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Hybridisation between wolves and dogs in Latvia as documented using mitochondrial and microsatellite DNA markers. Mamm. Biol. 67:79–90. , , , and .
- 1995. Mitochondrial portraits of human populations using median networks. Genetics 141:743–753. , , , and .
- 1999. Median-joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Mol. Biol. Evol. 16:37–48. , , and .
- 1951. An instance of coyote-dog hybridization. Trans. Kansas Acad. Sci. 54:73–76. , and .
- 2004 GENETIX 4.05, logiciel sous windows TM pour la génétique des populations. laboratoire génome, populations, interactions, CNRS UMR 5171, Université de Montpellier II, France. , , , , and
- 2012. Spatial genetic and morphologic structure of wolves and coyotes in relation to environmental heterogeneity in a Canis hybrid zone. Mol. Ecol. 21:5934–5954. , , and .
- 2007. Does interference competition with wolves limit the distribution and abundance of coyotes? J. Anim. Ecol. 76:1075–1085. , and .
- 2011. Coyote colonization of northern Virginia and admixture with Great Lakes wolves. J. Mammal. 92:1070–1080. , , , , and .
- 2013. Sequence analysis of three pigmentation genes in the Newfoundland population of Canis latrans links the Golden Retriever Mc1r variant to white coat color in coyotes. Mamm. Genome. doi:10.1007/s00335-012-9443-x. , , , and .
- 2011. Phylogenetic distinctiveness of Middle Eastern and Southeast Asian village dog Y chromosomes illuminates dog origins. PLoS One 6:e28496. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. An account of the taxonomy of North American wolves from morphological and genetic analyses. North Am. Fauna 77:1–67. , , , and .
- 2008. The hidden side of invasions: massive introgression by local genes. Evolution 62:1908–1920. , , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 1995. Gender identification of humans and mammalian wildlife species from PCR amplified sex linked genes. Proc. Am. Acad. Forensic Sci. 1:34. , and .
- 2010. Genetic outcomes of wolf recovery in the western Great Lakes states. Conserv. Genet. 11:1747–1765. , , and .
- 1979. Hybridization in Canis (Canidae) in Oklahoma. Southwest. Nat. 24:485–499. and .
- 1968. Coyotes in Kansas. Bull. agric. exp. stat., Kansas State University 393:1–118.
- 1974. The taxonomic status of wild Canis in Arkansas. Syst. Zool. 23:1–11. , , and .
- 1975. Reproductive biology of wild Canis (Canidae) in Arkansas. J. Mammal. 56:605–612. , , and .
- 2011. Genetic evidence for multiple events of hybridization between wolves and domestic dogs in the Iberian Peninsula. Mol. Ecol. 20:5154–5166. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Hybridization among three native North American Canis species in a region of natural sympatry. PLoS One 3:e3333. , and .
- 1922. Sex ratio and unisexual sterility in hybrid animals. J. Genet. 12:101–109.
- 1999. Bioedit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95⁄98⁄NT. Nucleic Acids Symp. Ser. 41:95–98.
- 1978. Systematics and ecology of the eastern coyote. Pp. 209–228 in M. Bekoff, ed. Coyotes: biology, behavior, and management. The Blackburn Press, Caldwell, NJ.
- 2012. Bucking the trend in wolf-dog hybridization: first evidence from Europe of hybridization between female dogs and male wolves. PLoS One 7:e46465. , , , , and .
- 2011. A genome-wide perspective on the evolutionary history of enigmatic wolf-like canids. Genome Res. 21:1294–1305. , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Pp. 81 Size dependent resource use of a hybrid Wolf (C. lycaon x C. lupus) population in Northeast Ontario. [Masters thesis], Trent University, Peterborough. .
- 2009. Inferring weak population structure with the assistance of sample group information. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 9:1322–1332. , , , and .
- 2001. Haploid chromosomes in molecular ecology: lessons from the human Y. Mol. Ecol. 10:1599–1613. , and .
- 2010. Y-chromosome microsatellite variation in Italian wolves: a contribution to the study of wolf-dog hybridization patterns. Mamm. Biol. 75:341–347. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Rapid adaptive evolution of Northeastern coyotes via hybridization with wolves. Biol. Lett. 6:89–93. , , and .
- 2009. Origin and status of the Great Lakes Wolf. Mol. Ecol. 18:2313–2326. , , , and .
- 1980. Pleistocene mammals of North America. Columbia Univ. Press, NY. , and .
- 2006. Genetic nature of eastern wolves: past, present and future. Conserv. Genet. 7:273–287. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. The size of eastern coyotes (Canis latrans): a comment. J. Mammal. 74:1072–1074. , and .
- 1969. The cranial evidence for hybridization in New England Canis. Brevoria 330:1–13. , and .
- 1991. Introgression of coyote mitochondrial DNA into sympatric North American gray wolf populations. Evolution 45:104–119. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Native Great Lakes wolves were not restored. Biol. Lett. 4:95–98. , and .
- 2002. Ancient DNA evidence for old World origin of new World dogs. Science 298:1613–1616. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Legacy lost: genetic variability and population size of extirpated US grey wolves (Canis lupus). Mol. Ecol. 14:9–17. , , and .
- 1978. Characteristics and distribution of coyote x dog hybrids collected in Nebraska. Am. Midl. Nat. 100:408–415. , , and .
- 1979. Pp 227 Pennsylvania coyotes and their relationship to other wild Canis populations in the Great Lakes region and the northeastern United States. [Masters thesis], Pennsylvania State University, State College.
- 2011. Non-genetic data supporting genetic evidence for the eastern wolf. Northeast. Nat. 18:521–526.
- 1971. A study of dog-coyote hybrids and implications concerning hybridization in Canis. J. Mammal. 52:316–336.
- 2009. Interference competition between gray wolves and coyotes in Yellowstone National Park. Can. J. Zool. 87:56–63. , , and .
- 2010. The genetic legacy of extirpation and re-colonization in Vancouver Island wolves. Conserv. Genet. 11:547–556. , , , and .
- 2007. Differentiation of tundra/taiga and boreal coniferous forest wolves: genetics, coat colour and association with migratory caribou. Mol. Ecol. 16:4149–4170. , , , , , , et al.
- 1979. North American quaternary canis. Monogr. Mus. Nat. Hist. 6:1–154.
- 2003. Wolf evolution and taxonomy. Pp. 239–258 in L. D. Mech and L. Boitani, eds. Wolves: behavior, ecology, and conservation. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1993. Identification and characterization of dinucleotide repeat (CA)n markers for genetic mapping in dog. Genomics 16:207–213. , , and .
- 1995. One hundred and one new simple sequence repeat-based markers for the canine genome. Mamm. Genome 6:192–195. , , , and .
- 1995. Eastern coyote: the story of its success. Nimbus Publishing, Halifax, NS.
- 1998. Testing for wolf-coyote hybridization in the Rocky Mountains using mitochondrial DNA. J. Wildl. Manag. 62:683–689. , , and .
- 2003. On Steiner trees and minimum spanning trees in hypergraphs. Oper. Res. Lett. 31:12–20. , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure from multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1996. Extinction by hybridization and introgression. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:83–109. , and .
- 2010. Genetic differentiation of eastern wolves in Algonquin Park despite bridging gene flow between coyotes and grey wolves. Heredity 105:520–531. , , , and .
- 2012a. Conservation genomics in perspective: a holistic approach to understanding Canis evolution in North America. Biol. Conserv. 155:186–192. , , , , and .
- 2012b. Intense harvesting of eastern wolves facilitated hybridization with coyotes. Ecol. Evol. 2:19–33. , , , and .
- 2001. Does paternal care of pups benefit breeding female coyotes? Southwest. Nat. 46:121–126. , and .
- 2003. A reliable molecular method of gender determination for mammals. J. Mammal. 84:123–128. , , and .
- 1969. Growth and behavior of the coyote-like canid of northern New England with observations on canid hybrids. Wildl. Monogr. 17:3–41. , and .
- 2001. Y chromosome haplotyping in Scandinavian wolves (Canis lupus) based on microsatellite markers. Mol. Ecol. 10:1959–1966. , , , and .
- 2006. Unequal contribution of sexes in the origin of dog breeds. Genetics 172:1121–1128. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731–2739. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Changes in body size associated with range expansion in the coyote (Canis latrans). J. Mammal. 72:750–755. , and .
- 1992. Coyote coexistence with wolves on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska. Can. J. Zool. 70:2494–2498. , , , and .
- 2006. Efficiency of model-based Bayesian methods for detecting hybrid individuals under different hybridization scenarios and with different numbers of loci. Mol. Ecol. 15:63–72. , and .
- 1997. Multiple and ancient origins of the domestic dog. Science 276:1687–1689. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. A comparison of body mass of Canis latrans (coyotes) between eastern and western North America. Northeast. Nat. 14:111–124.
- 2010. Genetic characterization of eastern “coyotes” in eastern Massachusetts. Northeast. Nat. 17:189–204. , , , and .
- 2003. Molecular genetics studies of Wolves. Pp. 218–238 in L. D. Mech and L. Boitani, eds. Wolves: behavior, ecology, and conservation. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , and .
- 2009. Pp.120 Genetic characterization of Canis populations in the Western Great Lakes Region. [Masters thesis], Trent University, Peterborough. .
- 2012. Genetic and morphological differentiation of wolves (Canis lupus) and coyotes (Canis latrans) in northeastern Ontario. Can. J. Zool. 90:1221–1230. , and .
- 2009. Genetic analysis of historical western Great Lakes region wolf samples reveals early Canis lupus ⁄ lycaon hybridization. Biol. Lett. 5:101–104. , and .
- 2010a. Colonization history and ancestry of northeastern coyotes. Biol. Lett. 6:246–247. , , and .
- 2010b. Sympatric wolf and coyote populations of the western Great Lakes region are reproductively isolated. Mol. Ecol. 19:4428–4440. , , and .
- 2012. Coyotes in wolves’ clothing. Am. Midl. Nat. 167:416–420. , , and .
- 2000. DNA profiles of the eastern Canadian wolf and the red wolf provide evidence for a common evolutionary history independent of the gray wolf. Can. J. Zool. 78:2156–2166. , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Genetic characterization of hybrid wolves across Ontario. J. Hered. 100:S80–S89. , , , and .
- 2012. Y-chromosome evidence supports widespread signatures of three-species Canis hybridization in eastern North America. Ecol. Evol. 2:2325–2332. , , , , and .
- 1951. The clever coyote. The Stackpole Company, Harrisburg, PA. , and .