Criteria for assessing climate change impacts on ecosystems
Version of Record online: 8 JUL 2011
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 63–72, September 2011
How to Cite
Loehle, C. (2011), Criteria for assessing climate change impacts on ecosystems. Ecology and Evolution, 1: 63–72. doi: 10.1002/ece3.7
- Issue online: 29 SEP 2011
- Version of Record online: 8 JUL 2011
- Received: 05 May 2011; Revised: 09 June 2011; Accepted: 11 June 2011.
- 2008. Adaptation, migration or extirpation: climate change outcomes for tree populations. Evol. Appl. 1:95–111. , , , , and .
- 2006. Five (or so) challenges for species distribution modelling. J. Biogeogr. 33:1677–1688. , and .
- 2007. Ensemble forecasting of species distributions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22:42–47. , and .
- 2005. Equilibrium of species’ distributions with climate. Ecography 28:693–695. , and .
- 2010. A comparison of local and aggregated climate model outputs with observed data. Hydrolog. Sci. J. 55:1094–1110. , , , , and .
- 2008. Opening the climate envelope reveals no macroscale associations with climate in European birds. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 105:14908–14912. , , and .
- 2009. Regional analysis of the impacts of climate change on cheatgrass invasion shows potential risk and opportunity. Glob. Change Biol. 15:196–208.
- 2009. Climate change and plant invasions: restoration opportunities ahead? Glob. Change Biol. 15:1511–1521. , , and .
- 2010. Optimizing resiliency of reserve networks to climate change: multispecies conservation planning in the Pacific Northwest, USA. Glob. Change Biol. 16:891–904. , , and .
- 2010. From climate change predictions to actions – conserving vulnerable animal groups in hotspots at a regional scale. Glob. Change Biol. 16:3257–3270. , , , and .
- 2010. Geographic variation in growth response of Douglas-fir to interannual climate variability and projected climate change. Glob. Change Biol. 16:3374–3385. , , and .
- 1985. Past rates of change, species richness and a model of vegetational inertia in the Grand Canyon, Arizona. Am. Nat. 125:289–303.
- 2009. Vegetation response to early Holocene warming as an analog for current and future changes. Conserv. Biol. 24:29–37.
- 2011. A process-based approach to estimate lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta Dougl.) distribution in the Pacific Northwest under climate change. Climatic Change 105:313–328. , and .
- 1995. Downscaling GCM information to regional scales: a non-parametric multivariate regression approach. Climate Dynam. 11:413–424. , , and .
- 2001. Global response of terrestrial ecosystem structure and function to CO2 and climate change: results from six dynamic global vegetation models. Glob. Change Biol. 7:357–373. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of elevated CO2 effects on woody plant mass, form, and physiology. Oecologia 113:299–313. , and .
- 1991. Reversion of forest to tundra in the central Yukon. Ecology 72:202–212. , and .
- 2006. Interactions between plant growth and soil nutrient cycling under elevated CO2: a meta-analysis. Global Change Biology 12:2077-2091. , , , , and .
- 2011. Disproportional risk for habitat loss of high-altitude endemic species under climate change. Glob. Change Biol. 17:990–996. , , and .
- 2011. Probabilistic spatio-temporal assessment of vegetation vulnerability to climate change in Swaziland. Glob. Change Biol. 17:1425–1441.
- 2011. A climatic basis for microrefugia: the influence of terrain on climate. Glob. Change Biol. 17:1022–1035.
- 2010. Implications of future climate and atmospheric CO2 content for regional biogeochemistry, biogeography and ecosystem services across East Africa. Glob. Change Biol. 16:617–640. , , , , and .
- 2010. Land-use and climate change effects on population size and extinction risk of Andean plants. Glob. Change Biol. 16:3215–3222. , and .
- 2010. Terrestrial plant production and climate change. J. Exp. Bot. 61:1293–1309.
- 2007. Multivariate Bayesian analysis of atmosphere-ocean general circulation models. Environ. Ecol. Stat. 14:249–266. , , , and .
- 2009. Climate change and cyclic predator-prey population dynamics in the high Arctic. Glob. Change Biol. 15:2634–2652. , , and .
- 2011. Multiscale topoedaphic heterogeneity increases resilience and resistance of a dominant grassland species to extreme drought and climate change. Glob. Change Biol. 17:943–958. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Global warming will affect the genetic diversity and uniqueness of Lycaena helle populations. Glob. Change Biol. 17:194–205. , , , and .
- 2006. Bias correction of daily GCM rainfall for crop simulation studies. Agric. For. Meteorol. 138:44–53. , and .
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) 2001. In J.T. Houghton , Y. Ding , D.J. Griggs , M. Noguer , P.J. van der Linden , X. Dai , K. Maskell , and C.A. Johnson , eds. Climate Change 2001: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of working group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge and New York .
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) 2007. In S. Soloman , D. Qin , M. Manning , Z. Chen , M. Marquis , K. B. Avery , M. Tignor , and H. L. Miller , eds. Climate change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of working group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge and New York .
- 2009. Variation in abundance across a species’ range predicts climate change responses in the range interior will exceed those at the edge: a case study with North American beaver. Glob. Change Biol. 15:508–522. , , , and .
- 2011. Predicting the future of forests in the Mediterranean under climate change, with niche- and process-based models: CO2 matters! Glob. Change Biol. 17:565–579. , , , , and .
- 2010. Intrinsic water-use efficiency of temperate seminatural grassland has increased since 1857: an analysis of carbon isotope discrimination of herbage from the Park Grass Experiment. Glob. Change Biol. 16:1531–1541. , , , and .
- 2011. An analytical framework to assist decision makers in the use of forest ecosystem model predictions. Environ. Model. Software 26:280–288. , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Water savings in mature deciduous forest trees under elevated CO2 . Glob. Change Biol. 13:2498–2508. , and .
- 2011. Do global change experiments overestimate impacts on terrestrial ecosystems? Trends Ecol. Evol. 26:236–241. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Forest ecotone response to climate change: sensitivity to temperature response functional forms. Can. J. For. Res. 30:1632–1645.
- 2003. Competitive displacement of trees in response to climate change or introduction of exotics. Environ. Manage. 32:106–115.
- 2007. Predicting Pleistocene climate from vegetation in North America. Climate of the Past 3:109–118.
- 1996. Model-based assessments of climate change effects on forests: a critical review. Ecol. Modell. 90:1–31. , and .
- 2001. Stability of boreal forest stands during recent climate change: Evidence from Landsat satellite imagery. J. Biogeogr. 28:967–976.
- 2001. Stomatal conductance of forest species after long-term exposure to elevated CO2 concentration: a synthesis. New Phytol. 149:247–264. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Leaf phenology in 22 North American tree species during the 21st century. Glob. Change Biol. 15:961–975. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Tree species range shifts at a continental scale: new predictive insights from a process-based model. J. Ecol. 96:784–794. , , and .
- 1993. A model of the responses of ecotones to climate change. Ecol. Appl. 3:396–403.
- 2009. Separating effects of changes in atmospheric composition, climate and land-use on carbon sequestration of U.S. Mid-Atlantic temperate forests. For. Ecol. Manage. 259:151–164. , , , and .
- 2007. Contrasted dynamics of northern Labrador tree lines caused by climate change and migration lag. Ecology 88:770–780.
- 2003. Predicting the impacts of climate change on the distribution of species: are bioclimate envelope models useful? Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 12:361–371. , and .
- 2008. Useless arithmetic: ten points to ponder when using mathematical models in environmental decision making. Public Admin. Rev. 68:470–479. , and .
- 2010. Robust dynamics of Amazon dieback to climate change with perturbed ecosystem model parameters. Glob. Change Biol. 16:2476–2495. , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Climate change and plant distribution: local models predict high-elevation persistence. Glob. Change Biol. 15:1557–1569. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Species distribution models in climate change scenarios are still not useful for informing policy planning: n uncertainty assessment using fuzzy logic. Ecography 33:304–314. , , , and .
- 2010. Predicted impact of climate change on European bats in relation to their biogeographic patterns. Glob. Change Biol. 16:561–576. , , and .
- 2006. A demonstration of the uncertainty in projections of UK climate change resulting from regional model formulation. Climatic Change 79:243–257.
- 2004. An evaluation of methods for modeling species distributions. J. Biogeogr. 31:1555–1568. , and .
- 2009. Impacts of climate change on the vegetation of Africa: an adaptive dynamic vegetation modelling approach. Glob. Change Biol. 15:2224–2246. , and .
- 2010. Infra-red thermometry of alpine landscapes challenges climatic warming projections. Glob. Change Biol. 16:2602–2613. , and .
- 2010. A comparison study of extreme precipitation from six different regional climate models via spatial hierarchical modeling. Extremes 13:219–239. , , , and .
- 2009. Expected future plague levels in a wildlife host under different scenarios of climate change. Glob. Change Biol. 15:500–507. , , and .
- 2010. Dreary state of precipitation in global models. J. Geophys. Res. 115:D24211. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. A 700-year paleoecological record of boreal ecosystem responses to climatic variation from Alaska. Ecology 89:729–743. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Challenges in using land use and land cover data for global change studies. Glob. Change Biol. 17:974–989. , , and .
- 2007. How much more rain will global warming bring? Science 317:233–235. , , , and .
- 2010. The influence of elevated temperature, elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration and water stress on net photosynthesis of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) at northern, central and southern sites in its native range. Glob. Change Biol. 16:2089–2103. , , and .
- 2011. Late Quaternary variations in tree cover at the northern forest-tundra ecotone. J. Geophys. Res. 116:G01017. , , , and .
- 2010. Dynamical influences on European climate: an uncertain future. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. A 368:3733–3756.
- 2009. Uncertainties in the response of a forest landscape to global climatic change. Glob. Change Biol. 15:116–131. , , and .