Humid tropical rain forest has expanded into eucalypt forest and savanna over the last 50 years
Version of Record online: 24 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 34–45, January 2012
How to Cite
Tng, D. Y. P., Murphy, B. P., Weber, E., Sanders, G., Williamson, G. J., Kemp, J. and Bowman, D. M. J. S. (2012), Humid tropical rain forest has expanded into eucalypt forest and savanna over the last 50 years. Ecology and Evolution, 2: 34–45. doi: 10.1002/ece3.70
- Issue online: 29 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 24 NOV 2011
- Received: 20 September 2011; Revised: 11 October 2011; Accepted: 14 October 2011
- 1992. Australian rainforests . Clarendon Press, Oxford , U.K .
- 1995. Mechanisms of shrubland expansion: land use, climate or CO2? Climate Change 29:91–99. , , and .
- 1988. The location and stability of rainforest boundaries in north-eastern Queensland, Australia. J. Biogeogr. 15:619–630.
- 1981. Fire in tall open-forest (wet sclerophyll forests). Pp. 339–366 in A. M. Gill , R. H. Groves , and I. R. Noble , eds. Fire and the Australian Biota . Australian Academy of Sciences, Canberrra .
- Australian Bureau of Meteorology. 2010. Climate data online . Australian Bureau of Meteorology. Available at http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/data/. Accessed May 2011.
- 2005. Dynamics of a savanna-forest mosaic in the Australian monsoon tropics inferred from stand structures and historical aerial photography. Aust. J. Bot. 53:185–194. , and .
- 2006. Forty years of lowland monsoon rainforest expansion in Kakadu National Park, Northern Australia. Biol. Conserv. 131:553–565. , and .
- 2007. Drivers of rain-forest boundary dynamics in Kakadu National Park, northern Australia: a field assessment. J. Trop. Ecol. 23:73–86. , and .
- 2007. Multiscale modelling of the drivers of rainforest boundary dynamics in Kakadu National Park, northern Australia. Divers. Distrib. 13:680–691. , , and .
- 2002. Carbon storage increases by major forest ecosystems in tropical South America since the last glacial maximum and the early Holocene. Glob. Planet. Change 33:107–116.
- 2005. Late Quaternary grassland (Campos), gallery forest, fire and climate dynamics, studied by pollen, charcoal and multivariate analysis of the Sao Francisco de Assis core in western Rio Grande do Sul (southern Brazil). Rev. Palaeobot. Palynol. 133:235–248. , , and .
- 2010. Global assessment of nitrogen deposition effects on terrestrial plant diversity: a synthesis. Ecol. Appl. 20:30–59. , , , , , , , , , and , et al .
- 2003. The importance of low atmospheric CO2 and ﬁre in promoting the spread of grasslands and savannas. Glob. Change Biol. 9:973–982. , , and .
- 2000. A proposed CO2-controlled mechanism of woody plant invasion in grasslands and savannas. Glob. Change Biol. 6:865–869. , and .
- 2000. Australian rainforests: islands of green in the land of fire . Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K .
- 2006. Late 20th century landscape-wide expansion of Allosyncarpia ternata (Myrtaceae) forests in Kakadu National Park, northern Australia. Aust. J. Bot. 54:707–715. , and .
- 2001. Forest expansion and grassland contraction within a Eucalyptus savanna matrix between 1941 and 1994 at Litchfield National Park in the Australian monsoon tropics. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 10:535–548. , , and .
- 2010. Has global environmental change caused monsoon rainforests to expand in the Australian monsoon tropics? Landsc. Ecol. 25:1247–1260. , , and .
- 2005. An ecosystem in transition: causes and consequence of the conversion of mesic grassland to shrubland. Bioscience 55:243–254. , , , et al .
- 2007. Dynamics of woody vegetation in a semi-arid savanna, with a focus on bush encroachment. Afr. J. Range Forage Sci. 24:131–140. , and .
- 2006. Postcards from the past: charting the landscape-scale conversion of tropical Australian savanna to closed forest during the 20th century. Landsc. Ecol. 21:1253–1266. , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach . Springer-Verlag, New York . , and .
- 2002. Growth and carbon stock change in eucalypt woodlands in northeast Australia: ecological and greenhouse sink implications. Glob. Change Biol. 8:769–784. , , , et al .
- 2003. Shrub encroachment in Argentinean savannas. J. Veg. Sci. 14:145–152. , , , , and .
- 1993. Statistics for spatial data . Wiley, New York .
- 1992. A study of logging damage in upland rainforest in north Queensland. For. Ecol. Manage. 49:1–29. , , and .
- 2001. Recent origin of a large part of the forest cover in the Gabon coastal area based on stable carbon isotope data. Oecologia 129:106–113. , , , , and .
- 2007. Methods to account for spatial autocorrelation in the analysis of species distributional data: a review. Ecography 30:609–628. , , , et al .
- 1997. More efficient plants: a consequence of rising atmospheric CO2. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 48:609–639. , , and .
- 2003. Assessing woody vegetation cover change in north-west Australian savanna using aerial photography. Int. J. Wildland Fire 12:359–367. , and .
- 2005. Rainfall, land use and woody vegetation cover change in semiarid Australian savanna. J. Ecol. 93:596–606. , , and .
- 1999. Wet tropics. Pp. 7/1–7/73 in P. Sattler and R. Williams , eds. The conservation status of Queensland's bioregional ecosystems . Environmental Protection Agency, Queensland Government, Brisbane . , , and .
- 2005. A 23,000-yr pollen record from Lake Euramoo, wet tropics of NE Queensland, Australia. Quaternary Res. 64:343–356.
- 1997. Arbres contre graminees: la lenta invasion de la savane par la foret au center Cameroun. Tesis doctoral, Universite de Paris , Sorbonne .
- 1994. Recent contraction of wet sclerophyll forest in the wet tropics of Queensland due to invasion by rainforest. Pacific Conserv. Biol. 1:319–327. , and .
- 2000. Structure and plant species dominance in North Queensland wet sclerophyll forests. Proc. R. Soc. Queensl. 109:59–74. , , , and .
- 2001. Sensitivity of tropical forests to climate change in the humid tropics of north Queensland. Austral Ecol. 26:590–603. , , and .
- 1993. Charcoal evidence of the spatial extent of the Eucalyptus woodland expansions and rain forest contractions in North Queensland during the late Pleistocene. J. Biogeogr. 20:357–372. , , , , and .
- 2005. Topographic Position Index (tpi_jen. avx) extension for ArcView 3.x. Jenness Enterprises.
- 2005. Vegetation change within the wet tropics of North Queensland: mapping changes with Landsat TM/ETM+ imagery from 1988 and 1999. Cooperative Research Centre for Tropical Rainforest Ecology and Management (Rainforest CRC), Cairns. Available at http://www.jcu.edu.au/rainforest/publications/vegetation_change.htm. Accessed May 2011. , and .
- 2000. Securing the wet tropics – a work in progress. Pp. 1–13 in G. McDonald and M. Lane , eds. Securing the wet tropics? The Federation Press, Leichhardt , NSW . , and .
- 2007. Assessment of riparian rainforest vegetation change in tropical North Queensland for management and restoration purposes. Geogr. Res. 45:387–397. , , and .
- 2008. Spatio-temporal trends in tree cover of a tropical mesic savanna are driven by landscape disturbance. J. Appl. Ecol. 45:1304–1311. , , , and .
- 2009. Increasing carbon storage in intact African tropical forests. Nature 457:1003–1007. , , , et al .
- 2006. Model weights and the foundation of multimodel inference. Ecology 87:2626–2635. , and .
- 2002. The globalization of nitrogen deposition: consequences for terrestrial ecosystems. Ambio 31:113–119. , , and .
- 2010. Using generalized autoregressive error models to understand fire-vegetation-soil feedbacks in a mulga-spinifex landscape mosaic. J. Biogeogr. 37:1–14. , , , , , and .
- 1993. The deposition of atmospheric ammonia and its effects on plants. New Phytol. 125:283–305. , and .
- 2004. Historical climate change and speciation: neotropical seasonally dry forest plants show patterns of both tertiary and quaternary diversification. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. 359:515–538. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Do slow-growing species and nutrient-stressed plants respond relatively strongly to elevated CO2? Glob. Change Biol. 4:693–697.
- 1994. Ecotone structure as an indicator of changing forest-savanna boundaries (Linganamakki region, southern India). J. Biogeogr. 21:581–593. , , and .
- 2003. Rain forest expansion mediated by successional processes in vegetation thickets in the western Ghats of India. J. Biogeogr. 30:1067–1080. , , and .
- Queensland Government. 2011. Climate change in the far north Queensland region. Available at http://www.climatechange.qld.gov.au/pdf/regionsummary-fnq.pdf. Accessed May 2011.
- Queensland Herbarium. 2009. Survey and mapping of vegetation communities and regional ecosystems of Queensland . Version 6.0b. Pre-clearing and 2006b extent. Disk 1 and 2. (November 2009). Department of Environment and Resource Management, Brisbane .
- 2005. Testing ecological theory using the information-theoretic approach: examples and cautionary results. Ecology 86:2805–2814.
- 2004a. Rain forest invasion of eucalypt-dominated woodland savanna, Iron Range, north-eastern Australia I. Successional processes. J. Biogeogr. 31:1293–1303. , , , and .
- 2004b. Rain forest invasion of eucalypt-dominated woodland savanna, Iron Range, north-eastern Australia II. Rates of landscape change. J. Biogeogr. 31:1305–1316. , , , and .
- 1996. Present dynamics of the savanna-forest boundary in the Congolese Mayombe: a pedological, botanical and isotopic (13C and 14C) study. Oecologia 106:516–524. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Expansion of gallery forests into central Brazilian savannas. Glob. Change Biol. 14:1–11. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Past century changes in Araucaria angustifolia (Bertol.) Kuntze water use efficiency and growth in forest and grassland ecosystems of southern Brazil: implications for forest expansion. Glob. Change Biol. 5:2387–2396. , , , .
- 1979. Ecology of the semi-arid regions of India with emphasis on land use. Pp. 243–276 in B. H. Walker , ed. Management of semi-arid ecosystems . Elsevier, Amsterdam , The Netherlands . , and .
- 1983. Dynamics of the rainforest eucalypt forest boundary in the Herberton Highland, north Queensland. M.Sc. thesis, James Cook University of North Queensland , Cairns , Australia .
- 1989. Structure and composition of the abrupt rainforest boundary in the Herberton Highland, north Queensland. Aust. J. Bot. 37:413–428. .
- 2009. Alternate stable states in Australia's Wet Tropics: a theoretical framework for the field data and a field-case for the theory. Landsc. Ecol. 24:1–13. , and .
- 1959. A physiognomic classification of Australian rainforests. J. Ecol. 47:551–570.
- 1968. Environmental relationships of the structural types of Australian rain forest vegetation. Ecology 49:L296–L311.
- 1981. The rainforests of northern Australia. Pp. 67–101 in R. H. Groves , ed. Australian vegetation . Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge , U.K . , and .
- 2010. Thicket expansion in a South African savanna under divergent land use: local vs. global drivers? Glob. Change Biol. 16:964–976. , , and .
- 2010. Age and growth of a fire prone Tasmanian temperate old-growth forest stand dominated by Eucalyptus regnans, the world's tallest angiosperm. For. Ecol. Manage. 260:438–447. , , , and .