Elevated CO2 affects embryonic development and larval phototaxis in a temperate marine fish
Version of Record online: 4 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 11, pages 3637–3646, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(11): 3637–3646
- Issue online: 9 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 4 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 27 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 MAR 2013
- Swedish Research Councils VR
- European Community – Research Infrastructure Action. Grant Number: 227799
- 2001. Male mate choice selects for female coloration in a fish. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98:13155–13160. , and .
- 2012. Reduced early life growth and survival in a fish in direct response to increased carbon dioxide. Nat. Clim. Chang. 2:38–41. , , and .
- 2003. Effects of mate attraction and male-male competition on paternal care in a goby. Behaviour 140:55–69. , and .
- 2011. P. 697 in Principles of animal communication. 2nd ed. Sinauer, Sunderland. , and .
- 1989. Fish survival in acid waters. Pp. 31–44 in R. Morris, E. W. Taylor, D. J. A. Brown and J. A. Brown, eds. Acid toxicity and aquatic animals. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 1990. Plankton production and year-class strength in fish populations: an update of the match/mismatch hypothesis. Adv. Mar. Biol. 26:249–294.
- 1987. A comparison of the equilibrium constants for the dissociation of carbonic-acid in seawater media. Deep Sea Res. 34:1733–1743. , and .
- 2007. Guide to best practices for ocean CO2 measurements. PICES Special Publications 3, 191 pp. , , and .
- 2010. Ocean acidification disrupts the innate ability of fish to detect predator olfactory cues. Ecol. Lett. 13:68–75. , , and .
- 2009. Ocean acidification: the other CO2 problem. Ann. Rev. Mar. Sci. 1:169–192. , , , and .
- 2012. Long term and trans-life-cycle effects of exposure to ocean acidification in the green sea urchin Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis. Mar. Biol. 160:1835–1843. , , , , and .
- 2011. Intrageneric variation in antipredator responses of coral reef fishes affected by ocean acidification: implications for climate change projections on marine communities. Glob. Change Biol. 17:2980–2986. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Effects of ocean acidification on visual risk assessment in coral reef fishes. Funct. Ecol. 26:553–558. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Unusually dynamic sex roles in a fish. Nature 429:551–554. , , , and .
- 2011. Effect of ocean acidification on early life stages of Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus L.). Biogeosciences 8:3697–3707. , and .
- 2012. Severe tissue damage in Atlantic cod larvae under increasing ocean acidification. Nat. Clim. Chang. 2:42–46. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Coral reefs under rapid climate change and ocean acidification. Science 318:1737–1742. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. High-frequency dynamics of ocean pH: a multi ecosystem comparison. PLoS One 6:e28983. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Patterns and trends in larval-stage growth and mortality of teleost fish. J. Fish Biol. 51(Suppl. A):52–83.
- 2008. Fishes in high- CO2 acidified oceans. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 373:295–302. , , and .
- 2013. Behavioural disturbances in a temperate fish exposed to sustained high-CO2 levels. PLoS One 8:e65825. , , , and .
- 1992. 5. Mixed feeding period, and 6. Early exogenous feeding period. Pp 177–210 in Early life history of fish – an energetics approach. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 2001. A correlation between phototactic response and first-feeding of Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus L.) larvae. Aquac. Res. 32:907–912. , and .
- 2010. Ocean acidification, unprecedented, unsettling. Science 328:1500–1501.
- 2003. Acute CO2 tolerance during the early developmental stages of four marine teleosts. Environ. Toxicol. 18:375–383. , , and .
- 2010. Meta-analysis reveals negative yet variable effects of ocean acidification on marine organisms. Ecol. Lett. 13:1419–1434. , , , and .
- 1998. CO2SYS-Program developed for CO2 system calculations. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center Report ORNL/CDIAC-105, U.S. Department of Energy. , and .
- 2002. Filial cannibalism in teleost fish. Biol. Rev. 77:261–277.
- 1973. Measurements of the apparent dissociation constants of carbonic acid in seawater at atmospheric pressure. Limnol. Oceanogr. 18:897–907. , , , and .
- 2009. Physiological basis for high CO2 tolerance in marine ectothermic animals: pre-adaption through lifestyle and ontogeny? Biogeosciences 6:2313–2331. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Parental environment mediates impacts of increased carbon dioxide on a coral reef fish. Nat. Clim. Chang. 2:858–861. , , , , and .
- 2009. Multiple mating and a low incidence of cuckoldry for nest-holding males in the two-spotted goby, Gobiusculus flavescens. BMC Evol. Biol. 9:6. , , , , and .
- 2009a. Effects of ocean acidification on the early life history of a tropical marine fish. Proc. Biol. Sci. 276:3275–3283. , , , and .
- 2009b. Ocean acidification impairs olfactory discrimination and homing ability of a marine fish. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106:1848–1852. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Replenishment of fish populations is threatened by ocean acidification. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107:12930–12934. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Ocean acidification does not affect the early life history development of a tropical marine fish. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 423:211–221. , , , , and .
- 2012. Impact of global warming and rising CO2 levels on coral reef fishes: what hope for the future? J. Exp. Biol. 215:3865–3873. , , and .
- 2012. Sex roles and mutual mate choice matter during mate sampling. Am. Nat. 179:741–755. , , , and .
- 2012. Near–future carbon dioxide levels alter fish behavior by interfering with neurotransmitter function. Nat. Clim. Chang. 2:201–204. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Paleo-perspectives on ocean acidification. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25:332–344. , , and .
- 2004. Biological impact of elevated ocean CO2 concentrations: lessons from animal physiology and earth history. J. Oceanogr. 60:705–718. , , and .
- 1993. Dominating sublittoral fish species in a west Norwegian fjord and their trophic links to cod (Gadus morhua L). Sarsia 78:221–234. , and .
- 1999. A rapid and accurate spectroscopic method for 850 alkalinity measurements in sea water samples. Water Res. 33:290–294. , , and .
- 2011. Ocean acidification erodes crucial auditory behavior in a marine fish. Biol. Lett. 7:917–920. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge Press, Cambridge. , , , , , , et al., eds.
- 2006. Female coloration, egg carotenoids and reproductive success: gobies as a model system. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, Norwegian University for Science and Technology, Trondheim.
- 2006. Spectral sensitivity of the two-spotted goby Gobiusculus flavescens (Fabricius): a physiological and behavioural study. J. Exp. Biol. 209:2034–2041. , and .