Experimental demonstration of accelerated extinction in source-sink metapopulations
Article first published online: 22 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 10, pages 3369–3378, September 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(10): 3369–3378
- Issue published online: 19 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 22 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 APR 2013
- University of Georgia
- Odum School of Ecology
- 2001. Does increased stochasticity speed up extinction? J. Math. Biol. 43:534–544.
- 1999. Experimental studies of extinction dynamics. Science 286:1175–1177. , , , and .
- 2000. The nutritional quality of P-limited algae for Daphnia. Limnol. Oceanogr. 45:1157.
- 2006. Global biodiversity conservation priorities. Science 313:58–61. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Extinction in nature reserves: the effect of fragmentation and the importance of migration between reserve fragments. Oikos 55:75–81.
- 1997. Metapopulation extinction in fragmented landscapes – using bacteria and protozoa communities as model ecosystems. Am. Nat. 150:568–591.
- 1999. Extinction in fragmented habitats predicted from stochastic birth-death processes with density dependence. J. Theor. Biol. 199:395–406.
- 1995. Effects of crowding and different food levels on growth and reproductive investment of Daphnia. Oecologia 101:234–244.
- 2000. Crowding-induced changes in growth, reproduction and morphology of Daphnia. Freshw. Biol. 43:19–29.
- 2007. Drought mediates the importance of stochastic community assembly. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:17430–17434.
- 2004. Neutral theory and community ecology. Ecol. Lett. 7:241–253.
- 2002. Beta diversity in tropical forests. Science 295:666–669. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. From population sources to sieves: the matrix alters host-parasitoid source-sink structure. Ecology 88:2966–2979.
- 2006. Human impacts and the global distribution of extinction risk. Proc. Biol. Sci. 273:2127–2133. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Estimation of growth and extinction parameters for endangered species. Ecol. Monogr. 61:115–143. , , and .
- 2006. Experimental support of the scaling rule for demographic stochasticity. Ecol. Lett. 9:537–547. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Sources and sinks in population biology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:326–330.
- 2005. Density dependent demographic variation determines extinction rate of experimental population. PLoS Biol. 3:1300–1304.
- 2010. Early warning signals of extinction in deteriorating environments. Nature 467:456–459. , and .
- 2011. Experimental demonstration of a two-phase population extinction hazard. J. R. Soc. Interface 8:1472–1479. , , and .
- 2000. On optimal size and number of reserves for metapopulation persistence. J. Theor. Biol. 203:33–50. , and .
- 2003. Effects of habitat fragmentation on biodiversity. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 34:487–515.
- 1994. Predicting extinction times from environmental stochasticity and carrying capacity. Conserv. Biol. 8:124–137.
- 1989. Spatial structure and population extinction: a study with Drosophila flies. Conserv. Biol. 3:45–51. , and .
- 2005. Metapopulation persistence in heterogeneous landscapes: lessons about the effect of stochasticity. Am. Nat. 165:374–388.
- 2002. A formula for the mean lifetime of metapopulations in heterogeneous landscapes. Am. Nat. 159:530–552. , and .
- 2002. The inflationary effects of environmental fluctuations in source-sink systems. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99:14872–14877. , and .
- 2008a. A review of extinction in experimental populations. J. Anim. Ecol. 77:1274–1287. , and .
- 2008b. Effects of habitat size and quality on extinction in experimental populations. Proc. Biol. Sci. 275:2251–2256. , and .
- 2009. Environment, but not migration rate, influences extinction risk in experimental metapopulations. Proc. Biol. Sci. 276:4363–4371. , and .
- 2003. Metapopulation theory for fragmented landscapes. Theor. Popul. Biol. 64:119–127. , and .
- 1997. Empirical evidence for metapopulation dynamics. Pp. 27–42 in I. Hanski and M. E. Gilpin, eds. Metapopulation biology: ecology, genetics, and evolution. Academic Press, San Diego. , and .
- 1985. Population dynamics in 2-patch environments – some anomalous consequences of an optimal habitat distribution. Theor. Popul. Biol. 28:181–208.
- 2003. Impacts of environmental variability in open populations and communities: “Inflation” in sink environments. Theor. Popul. Biol. 64:315–330. , , and .
- Holyoak, M., M. A. Leibold, and D. Holt, eds. 2005. Metacommunities: spatial dynamics and ecological communities. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2001. The unified theory of biodiversity and biogeography. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN). 2006. Guidelines for Using the IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria. Version 6.2. Available at http://cms.iucn.org/about/work/programmes/species/red_list/resources/technical_documents/. Accessed 22 February 2010.
- 2003. Stochastic population dynamics in ecology and conservation. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford. , , and .
- 2000. Effect of culture volume and adult density on the neonate production of Daphnia magna, as a test organism for aquatic toxicity tests. Environ. Toxicol. 15:155–159. , , and .
- 2005. Extinction dynamics in experimental metapopulations. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102:3726–3731. , and .
- 2002a. Long-term persistence of species and the SLOSS problem. J. Theor. Biol. 218:419–433.
- 2002b. The effective size of a metapopulation living in a heterogeneous patch network. Am. Nat. 160:612–628.
- 2004. Mixed-effects models in S and S-Plus. Springer, New York. , and .
- 2009. Development and validation of an individual based Daphnia magna population model: the influence of crowding on population dynamics. Ecol. Model. 220:310–329. , , , , and .
- 1988. Sources, sinks, and population regulation. Am. Nat. 132:652–661.
- 1996. Sources and sinks: empirical evidence and population consequences. Pp. 45–69 in O. E. Rhodes, R. K. Chesser and M. H. Smith, eds. Population dynamics in ecological space and time. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1987. Extinction in subdivided habitats. Conserv. Biol. 1:198–208. , and .
- R. Development Core Team. 2008. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing. Vienna, Austria.
- 2004. Efficacy of simple viability models in ecological risk assessment: does density dependence matter? Ecology 85:328–341. , , and .
- 2002. Ecological and evolutionary traps. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:474–480. , , and .
- 2001. Modeling survival data: extending the cox model. Springer-Verlag, New York. , and .
- 1981. Persistence in density-dependent stochastic populations. Math. Biosci. 53:1–2. , and .
- 2006. Evidence of large-scale source-sink dynamics and long-distance dispersal among wood thrush populations. Ecology 87:3029–3036. , , and .
- 2003. Neutral theory and relative species abundance in ecology. Nature 424:1035–1037. , , , and .
- 2005. One large, several medium, or many small? Ecol. Model. 191:513–520. , and .