Best Practicable Aggregation of Species: a step forward for species surrogacy in environmental assessment and monitoring
Version of Record online: 11 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 11, pages 3780–3793, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(11): 3780–3793
- Issue online: 9 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 11 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 5 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUN 2013
- ENI S.p.A.
- EPHE-DYNABIO. Grant Number: 287844
- 2001. A new method for non-parametric multivariate analysis of variance. Austral Ecol. 26:32–46.
- 1994. Taxonomic minimalism. Trends Ecol. Evol. 9:488–490. , and .
- 2006. Taxonomic surrogacy in biodiversity assessments, and the meaning of Linnaean ranks. Syst. Biodivers. 4:149–159. , , and .
- 2009. Taxonomic sufficiency in the detection of natural and human-induced changes in marine assemblages: a comparison of habitats and taxonomic groups. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 58:1850–1859. , , , and .
- 2012. Taxonomic relatedness does not matter for species surrogacy in the assessment of community responses to environmental drivers. J. Appl. Ecol. 49:357–366. , , , , and .
- 2001. Light after dark: the partnership for enhancing expertise in taxonomy. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:266.
- 2011. The seven impediments in invertebrate conservation and how to overcome them. Biol. Conserv. 144:2647–2655. , , , and .
- 2007. Taxonomic Impediment or Impediment to Taxonomy? A commentary on systematics and the cybertaxonomic-automation paradigm. Evol. Biol. 34:140–143. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Non-parametric multivariate analysis of changes in community structure. Aust. J. Ecol. 18:117–143.
- 2007. Benthic indicators: from subjectivity to objectivity – Where is the line? Mar. Pollut. Bull. 60:947–953. , , and .
- 2004. Testing taxonomic resolution levels for ecological monitoring in sandy beach macrobenthic communities. Aquat. Conserv. 14:65–74. , and .
- 2006. Taxonomic sufficiency in distinguishing natural spatial patterns on an estuarine shoreline. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 306:41–49. , and .
- 2010. Spatial mismatch and congruence between taxonomic, phylogenetic and functional diversity: the need for integrative conservation strategies in a changing world. Ecol. Lett. 13:1030–1040. , , , , , and .
- 1990. Taxonomic level and sample size sufficient for assessing pollution impacts on the Southern California Bight macrobenthos. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 67:251–262. , and .
- 1995. Taxonomic level sufficient for assessing pollution impacts on the southern Californian Bight macrobenthos – revisited. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 14:1031–1040. , and .
- 2010. Second-generation environmental sequencing unmasks marine metazoan biodiversity. Nat. Commun. 1:1–8. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. New species in the Old World: Europe as a frontier in biodiversity exploration, a test bed for 21st Century taxonomy. PLoS One 7:e36881. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Polychaetes as environmental indicators revisited. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 50:1153–1162. , , and .
- 2001. Quantifying biodiversity: procedures and pitfalls in the measurement and comparison of species richness. Ecol. Lett. 4:379–391. , and .
- 2010. A new method based on taxonomic sufficiency to simplify studies on Neotropical ant assemblages. Biol. Conserv. 143:2832–2839. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Barcoding biodiversity. Curr. Biol. 22:R73–R76.
- 2007. Are higher taxa adequate surrogates for species level assemblage patterns and species richness in stream organisms? Biol. Conserv. 137:78–89. , and .
- 2012. Building the evidence base for ecological impact assessment and mitigation. J. Appl. Ecol. 49:6–9. , and .
- 2012. A global synthesis reveals biodiversity loss as a major driver of ecosystem change. Nature 486:105–108. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Taxonomic sufficiency: the influence of taxonomic resolution on freshwater bioassessments using benthic macroinvertebrates. Environ. Rev. 16:45–69.
- 1999. Distance-based redundancy analysis: testing multispecies responses in multifactorial ecological experiments. Ecol. Monogr. 69:1–24. , and .
- 2001. Taxonomy and stream ecology – the benefits of genus- and species-level identifications. J. N. Am. Benthol. Soc. 20:287–298. , and .
- 2004) Conservation biogeography. Pp. 293–296 in M.V. Lomolino, L.R. Heaney, eds. Frontiers of biogeography: new directions in the geography of nature, Sinauer Associates, Sunderland. (
- 2008. Phylogenetic niche conservatism, phylogenetic signal and the relationship between phylogenetic relatedness and ecological similarity among species. Ecol. Lett. 11:995–1007.
- 2007. Assessment of congruency across invertebrate taxa and taxonomic levels to identify potential surrogates. Biol. Conserv. 139:113–125. , , , and .
- 2010. Cost-efficiency of biodiversity indicators for Mediterranean ecosystems and the effects of socio-economic factors. J. Appl. Ecol. 47:1179–1188. , , and .
- 1990. Taxonomy as destiny. Nature 347:129–130.
- 2001. Fitting multivariate models to community data: a comment on distance-based redundancy analysis. Ecology 82:290–297. , and .
- 2011. Effectiveness of biological surrogates for predicting patterns of marine biodiversity: a global meta-analysis. PLoS One 6:e20141. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013) How taxonomic diversity, community structure and sample size determine the reliability of higher taxon surrogates. Ecol. Appl. 23:1216–1225. , , and . (
- 2012. Global biodiversity change: the bad, the good, and the unknown. Annu. Rev. Environ. Resour. 37:25–50. , , and .
- 1999. Taxonomic sufficiency in ecological studies of terrestrial invertebrates. Aust. J. Ecol. 24:555–562. , , and .
- R Development Core Team (2010). R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for statistical computing, Vienna. Available at http://www.R-project.org (accessed 26 July 2013).
- 2012. Anticipating critical transitions. Science 338:344–348. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. A metacommunity framework for enhancing the effectiveness of biological monitoring strategies. PLoS One 7:e43626. , , , and .
- 2010. Discoveries of the census of marine life: making ocean life count. Cambridge Univ. Press.
- 1995. Taxonomic levels, in marine community studies revisited. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 127:113–119. , and .
- 2003. Taxonomic sufficiency and the increasing insufficiency of taxonomic expertise. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 46:544–560. , , , and .
- 2009. Beta diversity and taxonomic sufficiency: do higher-level taxa reflect heterogeneity in species composition? Divers. Distrib. 15:450–458. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Cost-efficient methods for marine pollution monitoring at Casey Station, East Antarctica: the choice of sieve mesh-size and taxonomic resolution. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 46:232–243. , , and .
- 2012. Habitats as surrogates of taxonomic and functional fish assemblages in coral reef ecosystems: a critical analysis of factors driving effectiveness. PLoS One 7:e40997. , , , and .
- 2011. The taxonomist - an endangered race. A practical proposal for its survival. Front. Zool. 8:25. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Environmental-impact studies on marine communities – pragmatical considerations. Aust. J. Ecol. 18:63–80.
- 2004. Taxonomic triage and the poverty of phylogeny. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 359:571–583.
- 2004. Taxonomy: impediment or expedient? Science 303:285. , , and .
- 2005. Conservation biogeography: assessment and prospect. Divers. Distrib. 11:3–23. , , , , , and .
- 2003. The encyclopaedia of life. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:77–80.
- 2004. Taxonomy as a fundamental discipline. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 359:739.
- 2012. Biodiversity soup: metabarcoding of arthropods for rapid biodiversity assessment and biomonitoring. Methods Ecol. Evol. 3:613–623. , , , , , , et al.