Quantitative genetic analysis of responses to larval food limitation in a polyphenic butterfly indicates environment- and trait-specific effects
Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 10, pages 3576–3589, September 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(10): 3576–3589
- Issue online: 19 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 APR 2013
- Academy of Finland. Grant Number: 132697
- EU-funded Network of Excellence LifeSpan. Grant Number: FP6 036894
- European Union's Seventh Framework Programme. Grant Numbers: FP7/2007-2011, 259679
- 1974. A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE Trans. Autom. Control 19:716–723.
- 2005. Effects of food stress and density in different life stages on reproduction in a butterfly. Oikos 111:514–524. , and .
- 1997. Phenotypic plasticity and fluctuating asymmetry as responses to environmental stress in the butterfly Bicyclus anynana. Pp. 65–78 in R. Bijlsma and V. Loeschke, eds. Environmental stress, adaptation and evolution. Birkhäuser, Basel.
- 2009. Polyphenisms in Lepidoptera: multidisciplinary approaches to studies of evolution and development. Pp. 281–312 in D. W. Whitman and T. N. Ananthakrishnan, eds. Phenotypic plasticity in insects. Mechanisms and consequences. Science Publishers, Inc., Plymouth, U.K. , and .
- 1997. Genotype–environment interactions for insect growth in constant and fluctuating temperature regimes. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264:717–723. , and .
- 1984. The evolutionary significance of dry and wet season forms in some tropical butterflies. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 22:1–12. , and .
- 1991. Phenotypic plasticity, seasonal climate and the population biology of Bicyclus butterflies (Satyridae) in Malawi. Ecol. Entomol. 16:291–303. , and .
- 2007. Developmental plasticity and acclimation both contribute to adaptive responses to alternating seasons of plenty and of stress in Bicyclus butterflies. J. Biosci. 32:465–475. , , and .
- 2009. The African butterfly Bicyclus anynana: evolutionary genetics and evo-devo. Pp. 291–329 in R. R. Behringer, A. D. Johnson, and R. E. Krumlauf, eds. Emerging model organisms: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York. , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Springer-Verlag, New York. , and .
- 2005. Environmental quality and evolutionary potential: lessions from wild populations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 272:1415–1425. , and .
- 2010. Ontogenetic change in genetic variance in size depends on growth environment. Am. Nat. 175:640–649. , , and .
- 1996. Quantitative genetics. Longman Group Ltd, Harlow, U.K. , and .
- 1991. Nestling growth in the great tit I. Heritability estimates under different environmental conditions. J. Evol. Biol. 3:341–362. , and .
- 2012. Selection in a fluctuating environment leads to decreased genetic variation and facilitates the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. J. Evol. Biol., 25:1275–1290. , and .
- 1996. Adult size in ectotherms: temperature effects on growth and differentiation. J. Theor. Biol. 183:329–340. , and .
- 1999. Heritabble variation and evolution under favourable and unfavourable conditions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:96–101. , and .
- 1991. Evolutionary genetics and environmental stress. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford. , and .
- 1990. The effect of new environment on adapted genetic architecture. Heredity 64:323–330. , , and .
- 2011. Measurement and meaning in biology. Q. Rev. Biol. 86:3–34. , , , and .
- 2010. Geographic variation in thermal plasticity of life history and wing pattern in Bicyclus anynana. Clim. Res. 43:91–102. , , , and .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer Associates, Inc, Sunderland, MA, U.S.A. , and .
- 1999. Genetic architecture of fitness and nonfitness traits: empirical patterns and development of ideas. Heredity 83:103–109. , and .
- 2003. Environment-dependent reversal of a life history trade-off in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus. J. Evol. Biol. 16:501–509. , and .
- 2011. Translating environmental gradients into discontinuous reaction norms via hormone signalling in a polyphenic butterfly. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 278:789–797. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity: beyond nature and nurture. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2006. Consequences of artificial selection on pre-adult development for adult lifespan under benign conditions in the butterfly Bicyclus anynana. Mech. Ageing Dev. 127:802–807. , , , and .
- 2007. Phenotypic plasticity of starvation resistance in the butterfly Bicyclus anynana. Evol. Ecol. 21:589–600. , , and .
- 1997. Evolutionary quantitative genetics. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- 2003. Between genotype and phenotype: protein chaperones and evolvability. Nat. Rev. Genet. 4:263–274.
- 2010. Predictive adaptive responses: condition-dependent impact of adult nutrition and flight in the tropical butterfly Bicyclus anynana. Am. Nat. 176:686–698. , , , , and .
- 1993. Genetics and evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 24:35–68.
- 2008. Hidden reaction norms, cryptic genetic variation, and evolvability. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 133:187–203.
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Oxford Univ. press, New York.
- 1994. Fitness sensitivity and the canalization of fitness components. Evolution 48:1438–1450. , and .
- 2013. The predictive adaptive response: modeling the life history evolution of the butterfly, Bicyclus anynana, in seasonal environments. Am. Nat. 181:E28–E42. , , , , , and .
- 2002. The influence of metabolic rate on longevity in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Aging Cell 1:91–101.
- 2005. Characterization of 28 microsatellite loci for the butterfly Bicyclus anynana. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:169–172. , , , , , and .
- 1985. Genotype–environment interaction and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 39:505–522. , and .
- 1997. A population genetic theory of canalization. Evolution 51:329–347. , , and .