How many marker loci are necessary? Analysis of dominant marker data sets using two popular population genetic algorithms
Version of Record online: 28 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 10, pages 3455–3470, September 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(10): 3455–3470
- Issue online: 19 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 28 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 JUN 2013
- Minnesota Agricultural Experiment Station
- National Science Foundation
- University of Minnesota
- 2008. Rapid SNP discovery and genetic mapping using sequenced RAD markers. PLoS ONE 3:e3376. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. EASYPOP (Version 1.7): a computer program for population genetics simulations. J. Hered. 92:301–302.
- 2011. Population genomic tests of models of adaptive radiation in Lake Victoria region cichlid fish. Evolution 65:3381–3397. , , and .
- 2007. Statistical analysis of amplified fragment length polymorphism data: a toolbox for molecular ecologists and evolutionists. Mol. Ecol. 16:3737–3758. , , and .
- 2005. Optimal sampling strategy for estimation of spatial genetic structure in tree populations. Heredity 95:281–289. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Population genetic structure of the cleistogamous plant species Viola pubescens Aiton (Violaceae), as indicated by allozyme and ISSR molecular markers. Heredity 86:545–556. , and .
- 2007. The ade4 package: implementing the duality diagram for ecologists. J. Stat. Softw. 22(4):1–20. , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software structure: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 2007. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: dominant markers and null alleles. Mol. Ecol. Notes 7:574–578. , , and .
- 1999. Invasiveness in wetland plants in temperate North America. Wetlands 19:733–755. , , and .
- 2004. Neighbour joining trees, dominant markers and population genetic structure. Heredity 92:490–498. , and .
- 2013. Genetic evidence suggests a widespread distribution of native North American populations of reed canarygrass. Biol. Invasions 15:261–268. , , and .
- 2008. GST and its relatives do not measure differentiation. Mol. Ecol. 17:4015–4026.
- 1964. The stepping stone model of population structure and the decrease of genetic correlation with distance. Genetics 49:561. , and .
- 1962. Tetraploid and hexaploid chromosome races of Phalaris arundinacea L. Crop Pasture Sci. 13:1–9. , and .
- 2001. Genetic variation and molecular biogeography of a North American invasive plant species (Alliaria petiolata, Brassicaceae). Int. J. Plant Sci. 162:161–169. , , and .
- 1998. The native status of reed canarygrass (Phalaris arundinacea L.) in the Inland Northwest, USA. Nat. Area. J. 18:223–230. , and .
- 2013. Population genetic structure of N. American and European Phalaris arundinacea L. as inferred from inter-simple sequence repeat markers. Biol. Invasions. , , , and .
- 2008. quantiNemo: an individual-based program to simulate quantitative traits with explicit genetic architecture in a dynamic metapopulation. Bioinformatics 24:1552. , , , and .
- 2004. Comparison of different nuclear DNA markers for estimating intraspecific genetic diversity in plants. Mol. Ecol. 13:1143–1155.
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0.
- 2000. Genetic structure and AFLP variation of remnant populations in the rare plant Pedicularis palustris (Scrophulariaceae) and its relation to population size and reproductive components. Am. J. Bot. 87:678–689. , and .
- 2006. Optimum sample size for estimating gene diversity in wild wheat using AFLP markers. Genet. Resour. Crop Evol. 53:23–33. , , , and .
- 1995. AFLP: a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Res. 23:4407–4414. , , , , , , et al.
- 1968. Self-incompatibility in the Gramineae. Hereditas 60:157–166.
- 1998. Assessing hybridization in natural populations of Penstemon (Scrophulariaceae) using hypervariable intersimple sequence repeat (ISSR) bands. Mol. Ecol. 7:1107–1125. , , and .
- 1994. Genome fingerprinting by simple sequence repeat (SSR)-anchored polymerase chain reaction amplification. Genomics 20:176–183. , , and .