Interior Least Tern (Sternula antillarum) breeding distribution and ecology: implications for population-level studies and the evaluation of alternative management strategies on large, regulated rivers
Article first published online: 26 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 10, pages 3613–3627, September 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(10): 3613–3627
- Issue published online: 19 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 26 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 2 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 29 JAN 2013
- 2003. Metapopulation dynamics of the California least tern. J. Wildl. Manag. 67:829–842. , , , , and .
- 2013. Emergent sandbar dynamics in the lower Platte River in eastern Nebraska—Methods and results of pilot study, 2011. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report. US Geological Survey, Reston, VA. , , and .
- 1988. Site fidelity of least terns in California. Condor 90:389–394. , and .
- 2011. Platte River Recovery Implementation Program: 2008–2009 interior least tern and piping plover monitoring and research report for the Central Platte River, Nebraska. Platte River Recovery Implementation Program, Kearney, NE.
- 1993. Site tenacity, philopatry, longevity, and population trends of Least Terns in Kansas and northwestern Oklahoma. Pp. 196–205 in K. F. Higgins and M. R. Brashier, eds. Proceedings, the Missouri river and its tributaries: piping plover and least tern symposium. South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
- 2004. Reproductive success of the least tern and piping plover on the Kansas river. Pp. 81–90 in: K. F. Higgins, M. R. Brashier, C. Flemming, eds. Proceedings, third Missouri river and North American piping plover and least tern habitat workshop/symposium. South Dakota State University, Brookings. , and .
- 1985. Evidence for reproductive mixing of least tern populations. J. Field Ornithol. 56:405–406. , and .
- 1984. Colony stability in Least Terns. Condor 86:61–67.
- 1997. Nesting piping plover and least tern on the Kansas River. Prairie Nat. 29:257–262. , , , and .
- 2006. Defining recovery goals and strategies for endangered species: the Wolf as a case study. Bioscience 56:25. , , , and .
- 2010. Geography and recovery under the U.S Endangered Species Act. Conserv. Biol. 24:395–403. , , , , and .
- Status and management of least tern populations in Indiana. 2004. P. 91 in: K. F. Higgins, M. R. Brashier, C. Flemming, eds. Proceedings, third Missouri River and North American piping plover and Least Tern habitat workshop/symposium. South Dakota State University, Brookings. , , and .
- 2000. Considering evolutionary processes in conservation biology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:290–295. , , , and .
- 2009. Interior Least Tern Monitoring Results 2008. Brantley Lake, New Mexico. Carlsbad Project. Report for the U.S. Department of the Interior. Bureau of Reclamation, Albuquerque Area Office. .
- 1981. Interior least tern (Sterna antillarum athalassos). U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Pierre, South Dakota.
- 1997. Foraging ecology and reproductive success of Least Terns nesting on the lower Mississippi River. Ph.D. 9841279, University of Missouri, Columbia. .
- 2006. Influence of stream discharge on reproductive success of a prairie stream fish assemblage. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 135:1644–1653. , and .
- ESRI. 2010. ArcGIS Desktop, Release 9.1. Environmental Systems Research Institute, Redlands, CA.
- 2011. The role of groundwater pumping and drought in shaping ecological futures for stream fishes in a dryland river basin of the western Great Plains, USA. Ecohydrology 4:682–697. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Downstream effects of dams on channel geometry and bottomland vegetation: regional patterns in the great plains. Wetlands 18:619–633. , , , and .
- 1974. Changes in the channel of the lower Missouri River and effects on fish and wildlife. Aquatic Series No. 11. Missouri Department of Conservation, Jefferson City, MO. , and .
- 2002. Mapping a Chimera? Pp. 663–666 in J. M. Scott, P. J. Heglund, J. B. Hauffler, M. G. Raphael, W. A. Wall, F. B. Samson eds. Predicting species occurrence: issues of accuracy and scale. Island Press, Covelo, CA. .
- 2010. Retrospective analysis of fish community change during a half-century of landuse and streamflow changes. J. N. Am. Benthol. Soc. 29:970–987. , , and .
- 2002. Planning for biodiversity conservation: putting conservation science into practice. Bioscience 52:499. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Summary of workshop on research and monitoring for the Interior population of Least Terns, Alton, IL. US Army Corps of Engineers- Omaha District, Omaha, NE. , and .
- 1999. P. 313 in Metapopulation ecology. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, NY. .
- 2002. Population dynamic consequences of dispersal in local populations and in metapopulations. Pp. 283–289 in J. Clobert, E. Danchin, A. A. Dhont, J. D. Nichols. eds. Dispersal. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, UK. .
- 1957. The Least Tern in the Mississippi Valley. Master of Science Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
- 2011. A large-scale conservation perspective considering endemic fishes of the North American plains. Biol. Conserv. 144:21–34. , , and .
- 1997. Equilibrium response of riparian vegetation to flow regulation in the Platte river, Nebraska. Regulated Rivers: Res. Manage. 13:403–415.
- 2002. Riparian vegetation diversity along regulated rivers: contribution of novel and relict habitats. Freshw. Biol. 47:749–759.
- 2012. Channel width and Least Tern and piping plover nesting incidence on the lower platte river, Nebraska. Great Plains Res. 22:59–67. , , and .
- 1999. Status of the interior population of least tern. J. Wildl. Manag. 63:470–483. , and .
- 1996. Detectability, philopatry, and the distribution of dispersal distances in vertebrates. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:514–517. , , and .
- 2002. Tern management handbook. Coastal Northeastern United States and Atlantic Canada. U.S Fish and Wildlife Service and Canadian Wildlife Service, Hadley, MA. , and .
- 2000. Productivity of endangered Least Terns (Sterna antillarum athalassos) below a hydropower and flood-control facility on the Arkansas River. Southwest. Nat. 45:483–489. , , and .
- 1993. Causes of nest failure and mortality of Least Terns and Piping Plovers along the central Platte River. Pp. 130–136 in: K. F. Higgins, M. R. Brashier, eds. Proceedings of the Missouri River and its tributaries: piping plover and Least Tern symposium. South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD. .
- 2006. Distribution and abundance of the interior population of the Least Tern (Sternula antillarum), 2005; A Review of the First Complete Range-Wide Survey in the Context of Historic and Ongoing Monitoring Efforts. US Army Corps of Engineers, Engineer Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, MS.
- 2012a. Effects of dam operations on Least Tern nesting habitat and reproductive success below Keystone Dam on the Arkansas River. US Army Corps of Engineers, Engineer Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, MS. , and .
- 2012b. Sandbar nesting habitat for Interior Least Terns (Sternula antillarum) on the Red River below Denison Dam, 2008. Final Report to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Tulsa District. Tulsa, OK. , and .
- 1989. Renesting by California Least Terns. J. Field Ornithol. 60:350–357. , and .
- 2011. Ecosystem management based on natural disturbances: hierarchical context and non-equilibrium paradigm. J. Appl. Ecol. 48:280–292.
- 2004. Impact of habitat creation and maintenance on recovery efforts for piping plovers and Least Terns in Colorado, 1990 to 2003. Pp. 29–30 in K. F. Higgins, M. R. Brashier, C. Flemming, eds. Proceedings, Third Missouri River and North American piping plover and Least Tern habitat workshop/symposium. South Dakota State University, Brookings. .
- 2009. Pp. 201–235 in Inferences about landbird abundance from count data: recent advances and future directions, Springer, New York. , , and .
- 2011. Stream fragmentation thresholds for a reproductive guild of great plains fishes. Fisheries 36:371–383. , and .
- 1999. Reproductive success of Least Terns and piping plovers on three artificial islands on the Central Platte River, Nebraska, 1991 – 1997. P. 77 in K. F. Higgins, M. R. Brashier, C. D. Kruse, eds. Proceedings, Piping Plovers and Least Terns of the Great Plains and Nearby. South Dakota State University, Brookings. , and .
- 2011. What does it mean to successfully conserve a (vertebrate) species? Bioscience 61:39–48. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. A model for behavioral regulation of metapopulation dynamics. Ecol. Model. 183:411–423. , and .
- 1995a. Interior least tern site fidelity and dispersal. Colonial Waterbirds 18:193–198. , and .
- 1995b. Annual adult survival of interior Least Terns. J. Field Ornithol. 66:112–116. , and .
- 2008. The ecological future of the North American bison: conceiving long-term, large-scale conservation of wildlife. Conserv. Biol. 22:252–266. , , , , , , et al.
- 1963. Channel widening and floodplain construction along the Cimarron River in southwestern Kansas. Geological Survey Professional Paper, U.S. , and .
- 2005. Recovery of Imperiled Species under the endangered species act: the need for a new approach. Front. Ecol. Environ. 3:383. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Safegaurding our precious heritage. Pp. 301–322 in B. A. Stein, L. S. Kutner, J. S. Adams, eds. Our precious heritage: the status of biodiversity in the United States. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, NY. , and .
- 2008. Missouri River emergent sandbar habitat monitoring plan- a conceptual model for adaptive management. US Geological Survey, Reston, VA. , , and .
- 2012a. Foraging ecology of Least Terns and Piping Plovers nesting on Central Platte river sandpits and sandbars. Geological Survey Open File Report, U. S. , , , , and .
- 2012b. Selection of nest-site habitat by interior Least Terns in relation to sandbar construction. J. Wildl. Manag. 76:363–371. , , and .
- 1993. Least tern and piping plover nesting at sand pits in Nebraska. Colonial Waterbirds 16:139–148. , and .
- 1993. Least tern and piping plover mortality and habitat creation due to flooding. P. 68 in K. F. Higgins, M. R. Brashier, eds. Proceedings, The Missouri River and its tributaries: piping plover and least tern symposium. South Dakota State University, Brookings. , , and .
- 1991. Least Tern nesting habitat in the Mississippi River Valley adjacent to Missouri. J. Field Ornithol. 62:497–504. , and .
- 1993. Reproductive success of Least Terns in the Mississippi River Valley. Colonial Waterbirds 16:39–44. , and .
- 1988. Habitat management for interior Least Terns: problems and opportunities in inland waterway. TRD-88-8. Pp. 131–149 in: M. C. Landin, ed. Inland Waterways: Proceedings national workshop on the beneficial uses of dredged material. Army Corps of Engineers, Waterways Experiment Station, U. S., Vicksburg, St. Paul, Minnesota. , , and .
- 1988. Riparian areas of western Oklahoma: a case study of the Canadian River. Pp. 22–29 in P. J. Stuber, ed. National Symposium on Protection of Wetlands from Agricultural Impacts. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Shepherdstown, WV. , , and .
- 2012. Emergent sandbar construction for Least Terns on the Missouri River: effects on forage fishes in shallow-water habitats. River Res. Appl. 28:1254–1265. , , and .
- 2005. How much is enough? The recurrent problem of setting measurable objectives in conservation. Bioscience 55:835. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Least tern: Sterna antillarum. Pp. 1–32 in A. Poole, F. Gill, eds. Birds of North America. The Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and the American Ornithologists' Union, Washington, DC. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Nest success is not an adequate comparative estimate of avian reproduction. J. Field Ornithol. 72:527–536. , , , and .
- 1995. Habitat use by small fishes on the lower Mississippi River related to foraging by Least Terns (Sterna antillarum). [Master's Thesis]University of Missouri, Columbia, MO.
- USACE. 1999. Biological assessment, interior population of the Least Tern (Sterna antillarum), regulating works project, Upper Mississippi River (river miles 0-195) and Mississippi River and tributaries project, channel improvement feature, Lower Mississippi River (river miles 0-945.5, AHP). US Army Corps of Engineers, Mississippi Valley Division/Mississippi River Commission, Vicksburg, MS.
- USACE. 2005. Arkansas River navigation study. Final enviornmental impact statement. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Tulsa and Little Rock Districts.
- USACE. 2011. Final programmatic environmental impact statement for the mechanical and artificial creation and maintenance of emergent sandbar habitat in the riverine segments of the upper Missouri river. US Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha District, Omaha, NE.
- USACE. 2012a. Biological Assessment addressing the potential effects on 30 federally-listed threatened, endangered, or proposed species from operation of federal multipurpose projects on the Arkansas, Canadian, and Red River systems in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Tulsa District.
- USACE. 2012b. Missouri River recovery program emergent sandbar annual adaptive management report (Year 2: 2011). US Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha District, Omaha, NE.
- USDOI. 2006. Platte River recovery implementation program. Final environmental impact statement. U.S. Department of Interior, US Department of Interior, Denver, CO.
- USFWS. 1985. Interior population of the Least Tern determined to be endangered. Fed. Reg. 50:21784–21792.
- USFWS. 1990. Recovery plan for the interior population of the Least Tern (Sterna antillarum). U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Twin Cities, MN.
- USFWS. 2003. Amendment to the 2000 Biological opinion on the operation of the Missouri River main stem reservoir system, operation and maintenance of the Missouri River bank stabilization and navigation project, and operation of the Kansas River reservoir system. US Fish and Wildlife Service, Bloomington, MN.
- USFWS. 2005a. Biological Opinion addressing sixteen federally listed threatened or endangered species on the Arkansas, Canadian, and Red Rivers: Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas; and on the McClellan-Kerr Arkansas Navigation System. Arkansas and Oklahoma. US Fish and Wildlife Service, Tulsa, OK.
- USFWS. 2005b. Biological opinion. Red River Navigation Project, Louisiana and Arkansas.
- USFWS. 2012. Lower Mississippi strategic habitat conservation plan. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, .
- 2001. Management implications of population genetics and demographics of least terns (Sterna antillarum). Ph.D. 3057317, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK. .
- 2011. Identifying structural elements needed for development of a predictive life-history model for pallid and shovelnose sturgeons. J. Appl. Ichthyol. 27:462–469. , , , , , , et al.
- 1984. Downstream effects of dams on alluvial rivers. U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper. US Geological Survey, Reston, VA. , and .
- 1992. Habitat conservation for nesting Least Terns and Piping Plovers on the Platte River, Nebraska. Prairie Nat. 24:1–20. , , and .