The episodic evolution of fibritin: traces of ancient global environmental alterations may remain in the genomes of T4-like phages
Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 10, pages 3628–3635, September 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(10): 3628–3635
- Issue online: 19 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 19 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 19 JUN 2013
- Russian Academy of Sciences. Grant Number: RFBR No 13-04-01575a
- Russian Ministry of education and science. Grant Number: 14.512.11.0033
- Kriburg Foundation
- 2010. Mobile regulatory cassettes mediate modular shuffling in T4-type phage genomes. Genome Biol. Evol. 2:140–152. , , , , and .
- 2005. Genomics and evolution of tailed phages. Pp. 91–128 in E. Kutter and A. Sulakvelidze, eds. Bacteriophages. Biology and applications. CRC press, Boca Raton, London, New York, Washington, DC. , and .
- 2011. Phages in nature. Bacteriophage 1:31–45. , , , and .
- 2005. War is peace–dispatches from the bacterial and phage killing fields. Curr. Opin. Microbiol. 8:488–494. , and .
- 2007. Modular architecture of the T4 phage superfamily: a conserved core genome and a plastic periphery. Virology 362:384–396. , , , , and .
- 2010. Gene network visualization and quantitative synteny analysis of more than 300 marine T4-like phage scaffolds from the GOS metagenome. Mol. Biol. Evol. 27:1935–1944. , , and .
- 2003. The diversity and evolution of the T4-type bacteriophages. Res. Microbiol. 154:259–267. , and .
- 1994. Fibritin encoded by bacteriophage T4 gene wac has a parallel triple-stranded α-helical coiled-coil structure. J. Mol. Biol. 242:470–486. , , , , , , et al.
- 1972. Punctuated equilibria: an alternative to phyletic gradualism Pp. 82–115 in T. J. M. Schopf, ed. Models in paleobiology. Freeman Cooper, San Francisco. Reprinted in Eldredge, N. 1985. Pp. 193-223 Time frames. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton. , and .
- 2005. Marine T4-type bacteriophages, a ubiquitous component of the dark matter of the biosphere. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:12471–12476. , , , and .
- 2006. A selective barrier to horizontal gene transfer in the T4-type bacteriophages that has preserved a core genome with the viral replication and structural genes. Mol. Biol. Evol. 23:1688–1696. , , , and .
- 1974. A new set of adsorption mutants of bacteriophage T4D, identification of a new gene. Virology 58:180–199. , , , and .
- 2007. Immunoglobulin-like domains on bacteriophage: weapons of modest damage? Curr. Opin. Microbiol. 10:382–387. , , and .
- 2013. Coevolution of bacteria and their viruses. Folia Microbiol. (Praha). 58:177–186. , , and .
- 2010. A role for accessory genes rI.-1 and rI.1 in the regulation of lysis inhibition by bacteriophage T4. Virus Genes 41:459–468. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Alternative mechanism for bacteriophage adsorption to the motile bacterium Caulobacter crescentus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108:9963–9968. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. The tail structure of bacteriophage T4 and its mechanism of contraction. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 9:810–813. , , , , , and .
- 1976. Stimulation of the synthesis of bacteriophage T4 gene 32 protein by ultraviolet light irradiation. J. Mol. Biol. 108:67–81. , and .
- 1974. Regulation of the synthesis of bacteriophage T4 gene 32 protein. J. Mol. Biol. 88:89–104. , , and .
- 1977. Regulation of the expression of bacteriophage T4 genes 32 and 43. Virology 78:87–99. , , , , and .
- 2007. Characterization of gene wac product of bacteriophage JS98C3, closely related to phage JS98. Vestnik KGU 149:1–11. , , and .
- 2004. Evolutionary dynamics, folding and function of some fibrous proteins of T-even related bacteriophages. Pp. 269–288 in V. F. Galchenko, ed. INMI proceedings. Vol. XII, Nauka, Moscow. .
- 2012. Bacteriophages as a part of the human microbiome. Pp. 6–20 in P. Hyman, S. Abedon. eds. Bacteriophages in health and disease. CAB International Press, Wallingford, UK. .
- 1999. The carboxy-terminal domain initiates trimerization of bacteriophage T4 fibritin. Biochemistry (Mosc) 64:817–823. , , , and .
- 2005. gpwac of the T4-type bacteriophages: structure, function, and evolution of a segmented coiled-coil protein that controls viral infectivity. J. Bacteriol. 187:1055–1066. , , , and .
- 2009. Comparative genomics of marine cyanomyoviruses reveals the widespread occurrence of Synechococcus host genes localized to a hyperplastic region: implications for mechanisms of cyanophage evolution. Environ. Microbiol. 11:2370–2387. , , , , and .
- 1997. The genome of the pseudoT-even bacteriophages, a diverse group that resembles the T-even phages. J. Mol. Biol. 267:237–249. , , , , and .
- 2012. Protein determinants of phage T4 lysis inhibition. Protein Sci. 21:571–582. , , , , and .
- 2012. Phage recombinases and their applications. Adv. Virus Res. 83:367–414.
- 2006. Genetic diversity among five T4-like bacteriophages. Virol. J. 3:30. , , , , and .
- 1982. Mass extinctions in the marine fossil record. Science 215:1501–1503. , and .
- 1991. The wac gene product of bacteriophage T4 contains coiled-coil structural patterns. J. Struct. Biol. 8:953–965. , and .
- 2010. Genomic analysis of oceanic cyanobacterial myoviruses compared with T4-like myoviruses from diverse hosts and environments. Environ. Microbiol. 12:3035–3056. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Structure of bacteriophage T4 fibritin: a segmented coiled coil and the role of the C-terminal domain. Structure 5:789–798. , , , and .
- 1998. Genome plasticity in the distal tail fiber locus of the T-even bacteriophage: recombination between conserved motifs swaps adhesin specificity. J. Mol. Biol. 282:543–556. , , and .
- 2011. The gp38 adhesins of the T4 superfamily: a complex modular determinant of the phage's host specificity. Genome Biol. Evol. 3:674–686. , , , , and .
- 2005. Coevolution arms races between bacteria and bacteriophage. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102:9535–9540. , , and .