Evidence for 20th century climate warming and wetland drying in the North American Prairie Pothole Region
Article first published online: 28 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 10, pages 3471–3482, September 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(10): 3471–3482
- Issue published online: 19 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 28 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 11 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 FEB 2013
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Science to Achieve Results
- EPA's Office of Research and Development
- National Center for Environmental Research
- U.S. Geological Survey Global Change Research Program
- 2010. Trends in agricultural impact and recovery of wetlands in prairie Canada. Ecol. Appl. 20:525–538. , , , and .
- 2010. Hydrologic impacts of projected future climate change in the Lake Michigan region. J. Great Lakes Res. 36(Suppl. 2):33–50. , and .
- 1998. Canadian freshwater wetlands and climate change. Clim. Change 40:163–165.
- 2001. Monitoring the hydrology of Canadian prairie wetlands to detect the effects of climate change and land use changes. Environ. Monit. Assess. 67:195–215. , and .
- 1997. The value of the world's ecosystem services and natural capital. Nature 387:253–260. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Evaluations of duck habitat and estimation of duck population size with remote-sensing-based system. Biological Sciences Report 2. US Department of Interior, Washington. , , and .
- 2000. Status and trends of wetlands in the conterminous United States 1986 to 1997. U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington, DC.
- 2006. Status and trends of wetlands in the conterminous United States 1998 to 2004. U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington, DC.
- 2011. Status and trends of wetlands in the conterminous United States 2004 to 2009. U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington, DC.
- 2007. Current approaches to wetland status and trends monitoring in prairie Canada and the continental United States of America. Can. J. Remote Sens. 33:S17–S27. , and .
- Environment Canada. 1991. The federal policy on wetland conservation.
- 1999. Wetlands of the Prairie Pothole Region: invertebrate species composition, ecology, and management. Invertebr. Freshw. Wetlands N. Am. Ecol. Manage. 471–514. , , and .
- 2010. Integrating estimates of ecosystem services from conservation programs and practices into models for decision makers. Ecol. Appl. 21:S128–S134. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Restoring prairie wetlands: an ecological approach. Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames, IA. , and .
- 2011. A framework for assessing the vulnerability of wetlands to climate change. Pp. 1–15 in M. F. Heather Mackay and N. Davidson, eds. Ramsar technical report No. 5/CBD technical series No. 57. Ramsar Convention Secretariat, Gland, Switzerland & Montreal, Canada, Gland, Switzerland & Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal, Canada. , , and .
- Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center. 1998. Sedimentation of prairie wetlands. Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center, Jamestown, ND. , ;
- 2003. Effects of sediment load on emergence of aquatic invertebrates and plants from wetland soil egg and seed banks. Wetlands 23:26–34. , , , and .
- 2008. Ecosystem services derived from wetland conservation practices in the United States Prairie Pothole Region with an emphasis on the U.S. Department of Agriculture Conservation Reserve and Wetlands Reserve Programs. Pp. 1–56. U.S. geological professional paper 1745. U.S. Geological Survey. , , and ., eds.
- 2011. USDA conservation program and practice effects on wetland ecosystem services in the Prairie Pothole Region. Ecol. Appl. 21:S65–S81. , , , , and .
- 2002. Indicators of wetland condition for the Prairie Pothole Region of the United States. Environ. Monit. Assess. 78:229–252. , , , and .
- 2005. Confronting a biome crisis: global disparities of habitat loss and protection. Ecol. Lett. 8:23–29. , , , and .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate change 2007: synthesis report. Contribution of working groups I, II and III to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. P. 45 in R. A. Pachauri, ed. Fourth assessment report. IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1988. Determinants of breeding distributions of ducks. Wildlife Monogr. 100:1–37. Jamestown ND: Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center Online. http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/distduck/index.htm (version 15APR98). , and .
- 2004. Influence of weather extremes on the water levels of glaciated prairie wetlands. Wetlands 24:385–398. , , , and .
- 2005. Vulnerability of northern prairie wetlands to climate change. Bioscience 55:863–872. , , , , , and .
- 2008. The past, present, and future of prairie potholes in the United States. J. Soil Water Conserv. 63:84A–87A. , , and .
- 2010. Prairie wetland complexes as landscape functional units in a changing climate. Bioscience 60:128–140. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Wet and wonderful: the world's largest wetlands are conservation priorities. Bioscience 59:39–51. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Bioeconomic modeling of wetlands and waterfowl in western Canada: accounting for amenity values. Can. J. Agric. Econ. Rev. Can. Econ. 59:167–183. , , and .
- 1995. Effects of climate on numbers of northern prairie wetlands. Clim. Change 30:169–180.
- 2012. An assessment of re-directing breeding waterfowl conservation relative to predictions of climate change. J. Fish Wildl. Manage. 3:1–22. , , and .
- 1974. The Prairie Pothole Region – a zone of environmental opportunity. Naturalist 25:2–7.
- Millenium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005a. Ecosystems and human well-being: synthesis. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- Millenium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005b. Ecosystems and human well-being: wetlands and water synthesis. Pp. 1–68. World Resources Institute, Washington, DC.
- 2009. Climate trends of the North American Prairie Pothole Region 1906–2000. Clim. Change 93:243–267. , , and .
- Marsh Ecology Research Program. 2000. Prairie wetland ecology: the contribution of the marsh ecology research program. Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames. , , ;
- 2001. A landscape approach to conserving wetland bird habitat in the Prairie Pothole Region of eastern South Dakota. Wetlands 21:1–17. , , , and .
- 2010. Spatial and temporal variation in wet area of wetlands in the Prairie Pothole Region of North Dakota and South Dakota. Wetlands 30:1053–1064. , , and .
- Central Great Plains Steering Committee and Assessment Team. 2002. P. 103 in Preparing for a changing climate: the potential consequences of climate variability and change – Central Great Plains. Report for the US Global Change Research Program. Colorado State University. , ;
- 2010. Assessing wetland changes in the Prairie Pothole Region of Minnesota from 1980 to 2007. J. Fish Wildl. Manage. 1:131–135. , , and .
- 1991. Global warming and prairie wetlands. Bioscience 41:611–618. , and .
- 1993. A spatial simulation-model of hydrology and vegetation dynamics in semi-permanent prairie wetlands. Ecol. Appl. 3:279–293. , and .
- 1995. Sensitivity of a prairie wetland to increased temperature and seasonal precipitation changes. Water Resour. Bull. 31:283–294. , , and .
- 1996. Climate change and northern prairie wetlands: simulations of long-term dynamics. Limnol. Oceanogr. 41:871–881. , , , and .
- 2004. Great Plains ecosystems: past, present, and future. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 32:6–15. , , and .
- 2006. An impending water crisis in Canada's western prairie provinces. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103:7210–7216. , and .
- 1998. Potential effects of global warming on waterfowl populations breeding in the northern Great Plains. Clim. Change 40:343–369. , , , and .
- 2005. Duck nest survival in the Missouri Coteau of North Dakota: landscape effects at multiple spatial scales. Ecol. Appl. 15:2137–2149. , , , , and .
- 2003. Dynamics of a prairie pothole wetland complex: implications for wetland management. Pp. 55–94 in T. C. Winter, ed. Hydrological, chemical, and biological characteristics of a Prairie Pothole Wetland complex under highly variable climate conditions–the Cottonwood Lake Area, East-Central North Dakota. U.S. Geological Survey, Washington, DC. , , , and .
- 1984. Wetlands of the United States: current status and recent trends. U.S. Department of Interior; Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington, DC. .
- 2006. The biology of freshwater wetlands. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1978. The role of seed banks in the vegetation dynamics of prairie glacial marshes. Ecology 59:322–335. , and .
- 2007. Model estimation of land-use effects on water levels of northern prairie wetlands. Ecol. Appl. 17:527–540. , , , , and .
- 2009. Adaptation of farming practices could buffer effects of climate change on northern prairie wetlands. Wetlands 29:635–647. , , , , and .
- 1988. Issues and approaches in assessing cumulative impacts on waterbird habitat in wetlands. Environ. Manage. 12:695–701.
- 1965. Role of habitat in the distribution and abundance of marsh birds. Iowa Agricultural and Home Economic Experiment Station, Iowa State University of Science and Technology, Ames. , and .
- 2000. The vulnerability of wetlands to climate change: a hydrologic landscape perspective. J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc. 36:305–311.
- 1995. The interaction of ground water with prairie pothole wetlands in the Cottonwood Lake area, east central North Dakota, 1979–1990. Wetlands 15:193–211. , and .
- 1998. Hydrology of prairie pothole wetlands during drought and deluge: A 17-year study of the Cottonwood Lake wetland complex in North Dakota in the perspective of longer term measured and proxy hydrological records. Climatic Change 40:189–209. , and .
- 2011. The effect of climate change on optimal wetlands and waterfowl management in Western Canada. Ecol. Econ. 70:798–805. , and .
- 2013. Recent land use change in the Western Corn Belt threatens grasslands and wetlands. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 110:4134–4139. Published online before print: February 19, 2013. , and .
- 2003. Wetlands at your service: reducing impacts of agriculture at the watershed scale. Front. Ecol. Environ. 1:65–72.
- 2005. Wetland resources: status, trends, ecosystem services, and restorability. Annu. Rev. Environ. Resour. 30:39–74. , and .