Multivariate sexual selection on male song structure in wild populations of sagebrush crickets, Cyphoderris strepitans (Orthoptera: Haglidae)
Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 10, pages 3590–3603, September 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(10): 3590–3603
- Issue online: 19 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 11 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAY 2013
- National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: IOS-0718140, IOS-1118160
- Royal Society
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Phi Sigma
- 1962. Evolutionary change in cricket acoustical communication. Evolution 16:443–467.
- 1995. Survival analysis using the SAS system: a practical guide. SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- 1994. Sexual selection. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, N.J..
- 1990. Song power, spectral distribution and female phonotaxis in the bushcricket, Requena verticalis (Tettigoniidae: Orthoptera): active female choice or passive attraction. Anim. Behav. 40:33–42. , , and .
- 1993. The energetic costs of calling in the bushcricket Requena verticalis (Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae: Listroscelidinae). J. Exp. Biol. 178:21–37. , , , and .
- 2006. Complex multivariate sexual selection on male signaling in a wild population of Teleogryllus commodus. Am. Nat. 167:E102–E116. , , , and .
- 1996. Standard errors for the eigenvalues in second-order response surface models. Technometrics 38:238–246. , and .
- 2007. A tale of two matrices: multivariate approaches in evolutionary biology. J. Evol. Biol. 20:1–8.
- 2003. Measuring nonlinear selection. Am. Nat. 162:815–820. , and .
- 2003. Exploring complex fitness surfaces: multiple ornamentation and polymorphism in male guppies. Evolution 57:1622–1630. , , and .
- 2004. Orientation of the genetic variance-covariance matrix and the fitness surface for multiple male sexually selected traits. Am. Nat. 163:329–340. , , and .
- 2005. Experimental evidence for multivariate stabilizing sexual selection. Evolution 59:871–880. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Aggressive contests in house crickets: size, motivation and the information content of aggressive songs. Anim. Behav. 72:225–233. , , , and .
- 1988. Acoustic signals, arms races and the costs of honest signaling. Fla. Entomol. 71:400–409.
- 2008. Contrasting sexual selection on males and females in a role-reversed swarming dance fly, Rhamphomyia longicauda Loew (Diptera: Empididae). J. Evol. Biol. 21:1683–1691. , , and .
- 1995. Bird song: biological themes and variations. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- 2005. Contrasting mutual sexual selection on homologous signal traits in Drosophila serrata. Am. Nat. 165:281–289. , and .
- 2012. Analyzing and comparing the geometry of individual fitness surfaces. Pp. 126–149 in E. I. Svensson, R. Calsbeek, eds. The adaptive landscape in evolutionary biology. Oxford Univ. Press, United Kingdom. , , and .
- 1988. Response-surface designs for quantitative and qualitative variables. Technometrics 30:423–428. , and .
- 1994. Sexual cannibalism and its relation to male mating success in sagebrush crickets, Cyphoderris strepitans (Orthoptera: Haglidae). Anim. Behav. 47:1171–1177. , and .
- 1986. Natural selection in the wild. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, N.J.
- 1980. Phonotaxis in mole crickets: its reproductive significance. Fla. Entomol. 93:45–53.
- 2012. Fields: tools for spatial data. Version 6.6.3. Comprehensive R Archive Network, Vienna, Austria. http://cran.rproject.org/web/packages/fields/index.html , , and .
- 2009. Experimental analysis of multivariate female choice in gray treefrogs (Hyla versicolor): evidence for directional and stabilizing selection. Evolution 63:2504–2512. , and .
- 2012. Biting off more than you can chew: sexual selection on the free amino acid composition of the spermatophylax in decorated crickets. Proc. R. Soc. B 279:2531–2538. , , , and .
- 1998. Handicap signaling: when fecundity and viability do not add up. Anim. Behav. 56:127–130.
- 1994. Nonparametric regression and generalised linear models. Chapman & Hall, London, U.K. , and .
- 1998. The energetics of male mating strategies in field crickets (Orthoptera: Gryllinae: Gryllidae). J. Insect Behav. 11:853–867.
- 2010. MCMC methods for multi-response generalized linear mixed models: the MCMCglmm R package. J. Stat. Software 33:1–22.
- 2008. Experimental evidence that sexual conflict influences the opportunity, form and intensity of sexual selection. Evolution 62:2305–2315. , , , and .
- 1986. Female preferences for male calling bout duration in a field cricket. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 19:73–77.
- 1997. The energetic cost of calling in the variable field cricket, Gryllus lineaticeps. Physiol. Entomol. 22:286–290. , and .
- 2003. Condition-dependent signaling affects male sexual attractiveness in field crickets, Gryllus campestris. Behav. Ecol. 14:353–359. , , and .
- 1989. Cricket behavior and neurobiology. Cornell Univ. Press, Ithaca, NY. , , and .
- Mate choice. in D. M. Shuker, L. W. Simmons, eds. The evolution of insect mating systems. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , and . in press.
- 2006. Artificial selection on male longevity influences age-dependent reproductive effort in the black field cricket Teleogryllus commodus. Am. Nat. 168:E72–E86. , , , and .
- 2009. Male-male competition, female mate choice and their interaction: determining total sexual selection. J. Evol. Biol. 22:13–26. , , , and .
- 2010. Female social experience affects the shape of sexual selection on males. Evol. Ecol. Res. 12:389–402.
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. Am. Nat. 157:245–261. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Phylogenetic relationships within hump-winged grigs, Cyphoderris (Insecta, Orthoptera, Tettigonioidea, Haglidae). Can. J. Zool. 83:1003–1011. , , , and .
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and .
- 1987. Acoustic cues for female choice and male competition in Tettigonia cantans. Anim. Behav. 35:887–900. , and .
- 2003. Nonlinear and correlational sexual selection on “honest” female ornamentation. Proc. R. Soc. B 270:2159–2165. , , and .
- 2004. Sexual selection in the gift giving dance fly, Rhamphomyia sulcata, favors small males carrying small gifts. Evolution 58:1763–1772. , , and .
- 2009. Lovesick: immunological costs of mating to male sagebrush crickets. J. Evol. Biol. 22:163–171. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Evidence for strong intralocus sexual conflict in the Indian meal moth, Plodia interpunctella. Evolution 65:2085–2097. , , and .
- 1996. Territoriality and the function of song in the primitive acoustic insect Cyphoderris monstrosa (Orthoptera: Haglidae). Anim. Behav. 51:211–214.
- 1999. Peripheral frequency mis-match in the primitive ensiferan Cyphoderris monstrosa (Orthoptera: Haglidae). J. Comp. Physiol. A. 184:543–551. , , and .
- 1991. Female choice for high roaring rates in red deer, Cervus elaphus. Anim. Behav. 41:79–88.
- 1987. Regression analysis of natural selection: statistical inference and biological interpretation. Evolution 41:1149–1161. , and .
- 1979. Mating systems, paternal investment and aggressive behavior of acoustic Orthoptera. Fla. Entomol. 62:9–17.
- 1978. Geographical distribution and biological observations of Cyphoderris (Orthoptera: Haglidae) with a description of a new species. Psyche 85:147–167. , and .
- 1989. Visualizing multivariate selection. Evolution 43:1209–1222. , and .
- 1981. Energetics of singing in crickets: effect of temperature in three trilling species (Orthoptera: Gryllidae). J. Comp. Physiol. B. 143:199–212. , and .
- 2010. Temporal variation in patterns of multivariate sexual selection in a wild insect population. Am. Nat. 175:401–414. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. http://www.r-project.org
- 2010. The distribution and hypothesis testing of eigenvalues from the canonical analysis of the gamma matrix of quadratic and correlational selection gradients. Evolution 64:1076–1085. , , and .
- 1996. The shape of female mating preferences. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 93:14628–14631.
- 2002. Sound signaling in Orthoptera. Adv. Insect Physiol. 29:152–278. , and .
- 2010. Measuring sexual selection on females in sex-role-reversed Mormon crickets (Anabras simplex, Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae). J. Evol. Biol. 23:1528–1537. , and .
- 2003. Sexual selection in female perceptual space: how female túngara frogs perceive and respond to complex population variation in acoustic mating signals. Evolution 57:2608–2618. , and .
- 2009. Coping with the cold: temperature and mating activity of male sagebrush crickets Cyphoderris strepitans (Orthoptera: Haglidae). Physiol. Entomol. 34:251–255. , and .
- 1999. Virgin-male mating advantage in sagebrush crickets: differential male competitiveness or non-independent female mate choice? Behaviour 136:1335–1346. , and .
- 1990. Nightly calling durations of male sagebrush crickets, Cyphoderris strepitans: size, mating and seasonal effects. Oikos 57:153–160. , and .
- 1987. Mating and its effect on acoustic signaling behavior in a primitive orthopteran, Cyphoderris strepitans (Haglidae): the cost of feeding females. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 21:173–178. , , and .
- 1995. Sexual competition in sagebrush crickets: must males hear calling rivals? Behav. Ecol. 6:250–257. , , , and .
- 2004. Hemolymph loss during nuptial feeding constrains male mating success in sagebrush crickets. Behav. Ecol. 15:845–849. , , , , and .
- SAS Institute Inc. 2010. SAS/STAT® 9.2 user's guide. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, NC.
- 2010. Inferring fitness landscapes. Evolution 64:2510–2520. , and .
- 1996. Lifetime mating success in male sagebrush crickets: sexual selection constrained by a virgin male mating advantage. Anim. Behav. 51:1119–1125.
- 1994. Attraction of female sagebrush crickets to male song: the importance of field bioassays. J. Insect Behav. 7:233–236. , and .
- 1992. Acoustic signaling and its relation to male mating success in sagebrush crickets. Anim. Behav. 44:633–639. , and .
- 2008. Estimating nonlinear selection gradients using quadratic regression coefficients: double or nothing? Evolution 62:2435–2440. , , , , and .
- 1998. Call duration as an indicator of genetic quality in male gray tree frogs. Science 280:1928–1930. , , and .
- 2012. Stabilizing sexual selection for female ornaments in a dance fly. J. Evol. Biol. 25:1233–1242. , , and .
- 1975. Mate selection—a selection for a handicap. J. Theor. Biol. 53:205–214.