Funded by the NSERC and its industrial and governmental partners through the Green Crop Network.
Expression of nitrous oxide reductase from Pseudomonas stutzeri in transgenic tobacco roots using the root-specific rolD promoter from Agrobacterium rhizogenes
Version of Record online: 13 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 286–297, February 2012
How to Cite
Wan, S., Johnson, A. M. and Altosaar, I. (2012), Expression of nitrous oxide reductase from Pseudomonas stutzeri in transgenic tobacco roots using the root-specific rolD promoter from Agrobacterium rhizogenes . Ecology and Evolution, 2: 286–297. doi: 10.1002/ece3.74
- Issue online: 20 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 13 DEC 2011
- Received: 22 August 2011; Revised: 06 October 2011; Accepted: 07 October 2011
- 2002. Pharming vaccines for hepatitis and cytomegalovirus: towards the development of multivalent and subunit vaccines for oral delivery of antigens. Phytochem. Rev. 1:55–66. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Production of recombinant proteins in plant root exudates. Nat. Biotechnol. 17:466–469. , , , , , and .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72:248–254.
- 2010. Greenhouse gas mitigation by agricultural intensification. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107:12052–12057. , , and .
- 1938. The artificial production of carbon dioxide and its influence on temperature. Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc. 64:223–240.
- 2007. Soils, a sink for N2O? A review. Glob. Change Biol. 13:1–17. , , , , and .
- 1985. An extracellular-matrix protein in plants: characterization of a genomic clone for carrot extensin. EMBO J. 4:2145–2151. , and .
- 1993. Enhancing the efficiency of transgene expression. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 339:225–232. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Influence of two plant species (Flax and Tomato) on the distribution of nitrogen dissimilative abilities within fluorescent Pseudomonas spp. App. Environ. Microbiol. 61:1745–1749. , , , and .
- 2008. N2O release from agro-biofuel production negates global warming reduction by replacing fossil fuels. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 8:389–395. , , , and .
- 1992. Modified binary plant transformation vectors with the wild-type gene encoding NPTII. Gene 122:383–384. , , , , and .
- 2009. The contribution of manure and fertilizer nitrogen to atmospheric nitrous oxide since 1860. Nat. Geosci. 2:659–662.
- 2003. Rhizosecretion of a monoclonal antibody protein complex from transgenic tobacco roots. Plant Mol. Bio. 52:233–241. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Development of rhizosecretion as a production system for recombinant proteins from hydroponic cultivated tobacco. FASEB J. 23:3581–3589. , , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Evaluation in tobacco of the organ specificity and strength of the rolD promoter, domain A of the 35S promoter and the 35S2promoter. Transgenic Res. 4:388–396. and .
- 2007. Changes in atmospheric constituents and in radiative forcing. Pp. 129–234 in S. Solomon , D. Qin , M. Manning , Z. Chen , M. Marquis , K. B. Averyt , M. Tignor , and H. L. Miller . eds. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of working group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK and New York, NY . , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Susceptibility of Cry1Ab-susceptible and -resistant sugarcane borer to transgenic corn plants containing single or pyramided Bacillus thuringiensis genes. Crop Prot. 30:74–81. , , , , and .
- 2003. Operon structure and regulation of the nos gene region of Pseudomonas stutzeri, encoding an ABC-type ATPase for maturation of nitrous oxide reductase. J. Bacteriol. 185:1895–1902. , and .
- 1985. A simple and general-method for transferring genes into plants. Science 227:1229–1231. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Anaerobic soils. Pp. 71–78 in D. Hillel , ed. Encyclopedia of soils in the environment. Elsevier Science, Oxford , U.K . , , and .
- International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-Biotech Applications. 2010. ISAAA Brief 42–2010: Executive Summary. Available at http://www.isaaa.org/resources/publications/briefs/42/executivesummary/default.asp.
- 2011. Gene therapy strategies incorporating large transgenes. Pp. 121–142 in C. Kang , ed. Gene therapy—developments and future perspectives. ISBN: 978-953-307-617-1, InTech. Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/gene-therapy-strategies-incorporating-large-transgenes. , , and .
- 1980. First practical assay for soluble nitrous oxide reductase of denitrifying bacteria and a partial kinetic characterization. J. Biol. Chem. 255:704–707. , and .
- 2002. Brock biology of microorganisms. 10th ed. Prentice-Hall, New Jersey . , , and .
- 1982. Modulation by copper of the products of nitrite respiration in Pseudomonas perfectomarinus . J. Bacteriol. 149:816–823. , , and .
- 2011. Intercellular and systemic movement of RNA silencing signals. EMBO J. 30:3553–3563. , , and .
- 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco cultures. Physiol. Plant. 15:473–497. , and .
- 1992. Rapid isolation of genomic DNA from gram-negative bacteria. Trends in Genet. 8:332–333. , , and .
- 2011. Social responsibility in tobacco production? Tobacco companies’ use of green supply chains to obscure the real costs of tobacco farming. Tob. Control. 20:403–411. , and .
- 2011. Importance of denitrifiers lacking the genes encoding the nitrous oxide reductase for N2O emissions from soil. Glob. Change Biol. 17:1497–1504. , , , , and .
- 2009. Biochemical cycling in the rhizosphere having an impact on global change. Plant Soil 321:61–81. , , , and .
- 2011. N2O binding at a [4Cu:2S] copper-sulphur cluster in nitrous oxide reductase. Nature 477:234–237. , , , and .
- 2005. Transgenic expression of bean alpha-amylase inhibitor in peas results in altered structure and immunogenicity. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:9023–9030. , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Nitrous oxide (N2O): the dominant ozone-depleting substance emitted in the 21stcentury. Science 326:123–125. , , and .
- 2009. Mitigating release of the potent greenhouse gas N2O from the nitrogen cycle—could enzymic regulation hold the key? Trends Biotechnol. 27:388–397. , , , , and .
- 1986. Nucleotide sequence analysis of TL-DNA of Agrobacterium rhizogenes agropine type plasmid. Identification of open reading frames. J. Biol. Chem. 261:108–121. , , , and .
- 2011. Phytoremediation of nitrous oxide: expression of the nos operon proteins from Pseudomonas stutzeri in transgenic plants to assemble nitrous oxide reductase. Transgenic Research In press, doi 10.1007/s11248-011-9555-1. , , , , and .
- 2005. Functional domains of NosR, a novel transmembrane iron-sulfur flavoprotein necessary for nitrous oxide respiration. J. Bacteriol. 187:1992–2001. , and .
- 1997. Cell biology and molecular basis of denitrification. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 61:533–616.