Indirect effects of domestic and wild herbivores on butterflies in an African savanna
Version of Record online: 5 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 11, pages 3672–3682, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(11): 3672–3682
- Issue online: 9 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 5 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 16 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 29 APR 2013
- James Smithson Fund of the Smithsonian Institution
- The National Geographic Society. Grant Number: 4691-91
- The National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: BSR-97-07477, 03-16402, 08-16453
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Grant Number: 98210-0-G563
- 2007. Forage nutritive quality in the Serengeti ecosystem: the roles of fire and herbivory. Am. Nat. 170:343–357. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Effects of white-tailed deer on populations of an understory forb in fragmented deciduous forests. Conserv. Biol. 12:995–1004. , and .
- 2009. Pathways for positive cattle-wildlife interactions in semiarid rangelands. Conserving wildlife in African landscapes: Kenya's Ewaso ecosystem. Smithson. Contrib. Ecol. 632:55–71. , , , , and .
- 2008. Some preliminary observations on the possible effect of elephant (Loxodonta africana) disturbance on butterfly assemblages of Kilombero Valley, Tanzania. Afr. J. Ecol. 46:113–116. , , and .
- 2010. Floral genetic architecture: an examination of QTL architecture underlying floral (co)variation across environments. Genetics 186:1451–1465. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Habitat use and conservation of bumblebees (Bombus spp.) under different grassland management regimes. Biol. Conserv. 103:33–49.
- 1998. Modulation of diversity by grazing and mowing in native tallgrass prairie. Science 280:745–747. , , , , and .
- 2003. Applied Bayesian modeling. Wiley, West Sussex, U.K.
- 2004. Ecological impacts of deer overabundance. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 35:113–147. , , , , and .
- 1997. Effects of bison and cattle on growth, reproduction, and abundances of five tallgrass prairie forbs. Am. J. Bot. 84:1719–1728. , and .
- 1994. Plant responses to selective grazing by bison – interactions between light, herbivory and water stress. Vegetatio 115:123–131. , and .
- 2005. Conservation outside of parks: attitudes of local people in Laikipia, Kenya. Environ. Conserv. 32:50–63.
- 2007. Data analysis using regression and multilevel/hierarchical models. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- 2007a. Savanna herbivore dynamics in a livestock-dominated landscape. II: ecological, conservation, and management implications of predator restoration. Biol. Conserv. 137:473–483. , , , and .
- 2007b. Savanna herbivore dynamics in a livestock-dominated landscape: I. Dependence on land use, rainfall, density, and time. Biol. Conserv. 137:461–472. , , , and .
- 2007. Consequences of herbivory by native ungulates for the reproduction of a savanna tree. J. Ecol. 95:129–138. , , , and .
- 2009. Heritability and genetic correlation of corolla shape and size in Erysimum mediohispanicum. Evolution 63:1820–1831. , , , and .
- 2001. Direct and indirect effects of herbivory: feeding by spittlebugs affects pollinator visitation rates and seedset of Rudbeckia hirta. Ecoscience 8:45–50.
- 2003. Ecology of butterflies in natural and selectively logged forests of northern Borneo: the importance of habitat heterogeneity. J. Appl. Ecol. 40:150–162. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Effects of bison grazing, fire, and topography on floristic diversity in tallgrass prairie. J. Range Manag. 49:413–420. , , and .
- 2004. Grazing management effects on plant species diversity in tallgrass prairie. J. Range Manag. 57:58–65. , , , and .
- 2009. Effects of vertebrate herbivores and shrub characteristics on arthropod assemblages in a northern Arizona forest ecosystem. For. Ecol. Manage. 258:616–625. , , , and .
- 2002. Effects of disturbance on germination and seedling establishment in a coastal prairie grassland: a test of the competitive release hypothesis. J. Ecol. 90:291–302. , and .
- 1998. Impacts of ungulates on the demography and diversity of small mammals in central Kenya. Oecologia 116:381–389.
- 2000. African wildlife policy: protecting wildlife herbivores on private game ranches. Eur. Rev. Agric. Econ. 27:227–244. , , and .
- 1996. Effects of artificial defoliation on reproductive allocation in the common vetch, Vicia sativa (Fabaceae: Papilionoideae). Am. J. Bot. 83:886–889. , , and .
- 2004. Expansion of human settlement in Kenya's Maasai Mara: what future for pastoralism and wildlife? J. Biogeogr. 31:997–1032. , and .
- 1991. The butterflies of Kenya and their natural history. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, New York, and Tokyo.
- 2004. Recovery of wild large herbivores following livestock decline in a tropical Indian wildlife reserve. J. Appl. Ecol. 41:858–869.
- 2007. Large herbivores in sagebrush steppe ecosystems: livestock and wild ungulates influence structure and function. Oecologia 152:739–750. , and .
- 2006. Florivory: the intersection of pollination and herbivory. Ecol. Lett. 9:1351–1365. , and .
- 2006. Indirect effects of large herbivores on snakes in an African savanna. Ecology 87:2657–2663. , , , , and .
- 1988. A generalized model of the effects of grazing by large herbivores on grassland community structure. Am. Nat. 132:87–106. , , and .
- 1996. Linking herbivory and pollination: defoliation and selective fruit abortion in Lindera benzoin. Ecology 77:2324–2331.
- 1995. Interactive effects of fire and grazing on structure and diversity of Mediterranean grasslands. J. Veg. Sci. 6:701–710.
- 2006. Effects of grassland abandonment, restoration and management on butterflies and vascular plants. Biol. Conserv. 133:291–300. , , and .
- 2003. Cattle foraging behavior: the influence of large mammalian herbivory in an Acacia savanna, Laikipia, Kenya. Masters thesis, Moi University, Eldoret, Kenya.
- 2007. Effects of wildlife on cattle diets in Laikipia rangeland, Kenya. Rangeland Ecol. Manage. 60:179–185. , , and .
- 2009. Behavioural responses of cattle to shared foraging with wild herbivores in an East African rangeland. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 116:120–125. , , and .
- 2011. African wild ungulates compete with or facilitate cattle depending on season. Science 333:1753–1755. , , , and .
- 2008. Impacts of large herbivorous mammals on bird diversity and abundance in an African savanna. Oecologia 156:387–397. , , , , and .
- 2000. Phycology for the mammalogist: marine rocky shores and mammal-dominated communities – how different are the structuring processes? J. Mammal. 81:637–648.
- 2008. Breakdown of an ant-plant mutualism follows the loss of large herbivores from an African savanna. Science 319:192–195. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Effects of bark damage by feral herbivores on columnar cactus Echinopsis (=Trichocereus) terscheckii reproductive output. J. Arid Environ. 75:981–985. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Mixed-effect models in S and S-PLUS. Springer, New York, NY. , and .
- 2007. Herbivore-initiated interaction cascades and their modulation by productivity in an African savanna. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:193–197. , , , and .
- 2008. Multilevel and longitudinal modeling using Stata. Stata Press, College Station, TX. , and .
- 1999. Effect of vertebrate grazing on plant and insect community structure. Conserv. Biol. 13:1047–1054. , and .
- 2008. Savanna tree density, herbivores, and the herbaceous community: bottom-up vs. top-down effects. Ecology 89:2228–2238. , and .
- 2007. Positive and negative effects of grass, cattle, and wild herbivores on Acacia saplings in an East African savanna. Oecologia 153:985–995. , and .
- 2012. Lessons on the relationship between livestock husbandry and biodiversity from the Kenya Long-term Exclosure Experiment (KLEE). Pastoralism: Res. Policy Practice 2:10. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Cattle grazing and conservation of a meadow-dependent amphibian species in the Sierra Nevada. PLoS One 7:e35734. , , , and .
- 2003. Direct and indirect effects of white-tailed deer in forest ecosystems. For. Ecol. Manage. 181:165–176. , and .
- 2008. The influence of grazing intensity and landscape composition on the diversity and abundance of flower-visiting insects. J. Appl. Ecol. 45:763–772. , , and .
- 1985. The effect of long-term exclusion of large herbivores on vegetation in Murchison Falls National Park, Uganda. Biol. Conserv. 33:229–245. , , and .
- 2002. Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit. J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. B Stat. Methodol. 64:583–616. , , , and .
- 2007. OpenBUGS user manual, version 3.0.2. Available at http://mathstat.helsinki.fi/openbugs/ManualsFrames.html (accessed 24 August 2013). , , , and .
- 1997. Floral characters link herbivores, pollinators, and plant fitness. Ecology 78:1640–1645.
- 2006. Making BUGS open. R News 6:12–17. , , , and .
- 2004. Indirect effects of an introduced ungulate on pollination and plant reproduction. Ecol. Monogr. 74:281–308. , and .
- 2010. Contrasting effects of cattle and wildlife on the vegetation development of a savanna landscape mosaic. J. Ecol. 98:993–1001. , and .
- 1993. A review of butterfly conservation in central southern Britain: II. Site management and habitat selection of key species. Biol. Conserv. 64:37–49.
- 2005. Influence of grazing by large mammals on the spider community of a Kenyan savanna biome. J. Arachnol. 33:269–279. , , , and .
- 2006. Dry season diets of sympatric ungulates in lowland Nepal: competition and facilitation in alluvial tall grasslands. Ecol. Res. 21:698–706. , , and .
- 2003. Forest dynamics and ungulate herbivory: from leaf to landscape. For. Ecol. Manage. 181:1–12. , and .
- 1990. The effect of experimental defoliation on the growth and reproduction of a woodland orchid, Tipularia-discolor. Can. J. Bot./Rev. Can. Bot. 68:1812–1816.
- 2008a. Effects of livestock grazing on pollination on a steppe in eastern Mongolia. Biol. Conserv. 141:2376–2386. , , , , and .
- 2008b. A comparison of food resources used by Mongolian gazelles and sympatric livestock in three areas in Mongolia. J. Arid Environ. 72:48–55. , , , and .
- 2007. Interspecific variation in the reproductive response of acacia species to protection from large mammalian herbivores. Biotropica 39:559–561. , and .
- 1998. KLEE: a long term multi-species herbivore exclusion experiment in Laikipia, Kenya. Afr. J. Range Forage Sci. 14:92–104. , , , and .
- 2005. Competition and compensation among cattle, zebras, and elephants in a semi-arid savanna in Laikipia, Kenya. Biol. Conserv. 122:351–359. , , and .