Birth seasonality and calf mortality in a large population of Asian elephants
Article first published online: 11 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 11, pages 3794–3803, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(11): 3794–3803
- Issue published online: 9 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 11 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 18 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUN 2013
- Natural and Environment Research Council
- European Research Council
- Nando Peretti Foundation
- Rufford Foundation
- 1983. The influence of climatic variation on the birth weights of Red deer (Cervus elaphus). J. Zool. 200:295–298. , , and .
- 1982. Discrete-time methods for the analysis of event histories. Sociol. Methodol. 13:61–98.
- 2009. Population, reproduction and management of captive Asian elephants (Elephas maximus) in Jaldapara wildlife sanctuary, West Bengal, India. Indian For. 135:1545–1555. , , and .
- 2011. lme4: linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. Available at http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=lme4. , , and .
- 2012. Reproductive resilience to food shortage in a small heterothermic primate. PLoS One 7:e41477. , , , and .
- 1966. Mortality patterns in mammals. Ecology 47:906–918.
- 2008. Compromised survivorship in zoo elephants. Science 322:1649. , , , , , and .
- 1987. Early development and population dynamics in red deer. I. Density-dependent effects on juvenile survival. J. Anim. Ecol. 56:53–67. , , , and .
- 2008. Cohort effects in red squirrels: the influence of density, food abundance and temperature on future survival and reproductive success. J. Anim. Ecol. 77:305–314. , , , , and .
- 1983. Cooperation and reproductive competition among female African elephants. Pp. 291–313 in S. K. Wasser, ed. Social behavior of female vertebrates. Academic Press, New York, NY. .
- 2006. Is reversing the decline of Asian elephants in North American zoos possible? An individual-based modeling approach. Zool. Biol. 25:201–218. , , and .
- 2006. Biology, medicine and surgery of elephants. Wiley-Blackwell, Ames, IA. , and .
- 2004. Examination of the interrelationships of behavior, dominance status, and ovarian activity in captive Asian and African elephants. Zool. Biol. 23:431–448. , , and .
- 2012. Investigation of individual and group variability in estrous cycle characteristics in female Asian elephants (Elephas maximus) at the Oregon Zoo. Theriogenology 78:285–296. , , , , and .
- IUCN. 2010. IUCN red list of threatened species. Available at www.iucnredlist.org (accessed 25 May 2013).
- 2012. Birth timing for mountain lions (Puma concolor): testing the prey availability hypothesis. PLoS One 7:e44625. , and .
- 1999. Early determinants of lifetime reproductive success differ between the sexes in red deer. Proc. Biol. Sci. 266:1655–1661. , , , and .
- 2008. Giants in chains: history, biology and preservation of Asian elephants in Asia. Pp. 327–345 in C. Wemmer, C. A. Christen, eds. Elephants and ethics: toward a morality of coexistence. The John Hopkins Univ. Press, Maryland. , , and .
- 1997. Gone astray: the care and management of the Asian elephant in domesticity. UNFAO, Forestry Department, Rome, Italy and Forestry Department Group, Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP).
- 1975. Elephants and their habitats: the ecology of elephants in Northern Bunyoro, Uganda. Clarendon Press, Oxford. , , and .
- 1986. Early maternal investment in male and female African elephant calves. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 18:353–361. , and .
- 2013. Enduring consequences of early experiences: 40 year effects on survival and success among African elephants (Loxodonta africana). Biol. Lett. 9:20130011. , , , , and .
- 2008. Modeling population viability of captive elephants in Myanmar (Burma): implications for wild populations. Anim. Conserv. 11:198–205. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Before senescence: the evolutionary demography of ontogenesis. Proc. Biol. Sci. 278:801–809.
- 2010. Ultrasonographically documented early pregnancy loss in an Asian elephant (Elephas maximus). Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 22:1159–1165. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Gestating for 22 months: luteal development and pregnancy maintenance in elephants. Proc. Biol. Sci. 279:3687–3696. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Seasonality of births in Homo sapiens in pre-industrial Finland: maximisation of offspring survivorship? J. Evol. Biol. 11:147–157. , , , and .
- 2007. The demography and life history strategies of timber elephants in Myanmar. [PhD thesis], UCL, London. .
- 2012. Causes and correlates of calf mortality in captive Asian elephants (Elephas maximus). PLoS One 7:e32335. , , and .
- 1998. Hungry season birth predicts excess childhood and adult mortality in rural Gambia. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 57:74A. , , and .
- 1999. Prenatal or early postnatal events predict infectious deaths in young adulthood in rural Africa. Int. J. Epidemiol. 28:1088–1095. , , , , , and .
- 1988. Elephant memories. William Morrow, New York, NY.
- 2001. The demography of an African elephant (Loxodonta africana) population in Amboseli, Kenya. J. Zool. 255:145–156.
- 2011. The amboseli elephants. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. , , and .
- 2013. Climatic variation and age-specific survival in Asian elephants from Myanmar. Ecology 94:1131–1141. , , , and .
- 2011. Patterns of body mass senescence and selective disappearance differ among three species of free-living ungulates. Ecology 92:1936–1947. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Rainfall extremes explain interannual shifts in timing and synchrony of calving in topi and warthog. Popul. Ecol. 52:89–102. , , , , and .
- 2006. Using a proxy of plant productivity (NDVI) to find key periods for animal performance: the case of roe deer. Oikos 112:565–572. , , , , , , et al.
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1993. Analysis of urinary immunoreactive steroid metabolites and gonadotropins for characterization of the estrous cycle, breeding period, and seasonal estrous activity of captive killer whales (Orcinus orca). Zool. Biol. 12:173–187. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Senescence and age-specific trade-offs between reproduction and survival in female Asian elephants. Ecol. Lett. 15:260–266. , , and .
- 2012. Increasing temperature, not mean temperature, is a cue for avian timing of reproduction. Am. Nat. 179:E55–E69. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Energy balance and reproduction. Physiol. Behav. 81:289–317.
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, NY.
- 2006. A brief review of the status, distribution and biology of wild Asian elephants – Elephas maximus. Int. Zoo Yearbook 40:1–8.
- 1997. Demography of captive Asian elephants (Elephas maximus) in Southern India. Zool. Biol. 16:263–272. , , , and .
- 2008. Seasonal effects on the endocrine pattern of semi-captive female Asian elephants (Elephas maximus): timing of the anovulatory luteinizing hormone surge determines the length of the estrous cycle. Theriogenology 69:237–244. , , , , , , et al.
- 1974. Burmese Timber Elephants. Trade Corporation, Yangon, Burma.
- 2002. Seasonal aspects of reproduction and sexual behavior in two chimpanzee populations: a comparison of Gombe (Tanzania) and Budongo (Uganda). Pp. 181–191 in C. Boesch, G. Hohmann, L. F. Marchant, eds. Behavioural diversity in chimpanzees and bonobos. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge. .
- 2009. Estrous synchrony in a group of African elephants (Loxodonta africana) under human care. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 113:322–327. , , and .
- 2007a. The impact of ecological variability on the reproductive endocrinology of wild female African elephants. Horm. Behav. 51:346–354. , , and .
- 2007b. Breeding phenology in relation to NDVI variability in free-ranging African elephant. Ecography 30:42–50. , , and .
- 1997. Utilization of elephants in timber harvesting in Myanmar. Gajah 17:9–22.