Asynchronous responses of soil microbial community and understory plant community to simulated nitrogen deposition in a subtropical forest
Article first published online: 16 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 11, pages 3895–3905, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(11): 3895–3905
- Issue published online: 9 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 16 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 31 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 APR 2013
- National Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 31200406, 31060109, 30771714
- Jiangxi Natural Science Foundation. Grant Number: 20122BAB204021
- Nanchang Institute of Technology. Grant Number: 2012KJ001
- Jiangxi Provincial Department of Education. Grant Number: KJLD12097
- 2007. Nitrogen fertilization reduces diversity and alters community structure of active fungi in boreal ecosystems. Soil Biol. Biochem. 39:1878–1887. , , and .
- 2003. Comparison of soil fungal/bacterial ratios in a pH gradient using physiological and PLFA-based techniques. Soil Biol. Biochem. 35:955–963. , and .
- 2010. Aboveground-belowground linkages: biotic interactions, ecosystem processes, and global change. Oxford Series in Ecology and Evolution. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- 1996. Changes in soil fungal:bacterial biomass ratios following reductions in the intensity of management of an upland grassland. Biol. Fertil. Soils 22:261–264. , , and .
- 2005. A temporal approach to linking aboveground and belowground ecology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:634–641. , , , and .
- 2004. Effects of chronic N additions on tissue chemistry, photosynthetic capacity, and carbon sequestration potential of a red pine (Pinus resinosa Ait.) stand in the NE United States. For. Ecol. Manage. 196:173–186. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Soil community feedback and the coexistence of competitors: conceptual frameworks and empirical tests. New Phytol. 157:465–473.
- 2010. Global assessment of nitrogen deposition effects on terrestrial plant diversity: a synthesis. Ecol. Appl. 20:30–59. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Impacts of carbon and flooding on soil microbial communities: phospholipid fatty acid profiles and substrate utilization patterns. Microb. Ecol. 35:265–278. , and .
- China Forestry Administration. 2010. The seventh national forest resources inventory and the status of forest resources. For. Resour. Manage. 1:1–8.
- 2008. Loss of plant species after chronic low-level nitrogen deposition to prairie grasslands. Nature 451:712–715. , and .
- 2004. Response of soil microbial biomass and community composition to chronic nitrogen additions at Harvard forest. For. Ecol. Manage. 196:143–158. , , , and .
- 2011. Changes in microbial community characteristics and soil organic matter with nitrogen additions in two tropical forests. Ecology 92:621–632. , , , , and .
- 2006. The impact of nitrogen deposition on carbon sequestration in European forests and forest soils. Glob. Change Biol. 12:1151–1173. , , , and .
- 2010. Changes in species richness and composition in European acidic grasslands over the past 70 years: the contribution of cumulative atmospheric nitrogen deposition. Glob. Change Biol. 16:344–357. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Estimation of dry deposition and canopy exchange in Chinese fir plantations. For. Ecol. Manage. 147:99–107. , and .
- 2008. Carbon and nitrogen dynamics of decomposing foliar litter in a Chinese fir (Cunninghamia lanceolata) plantation exposed to simulated nitrogen deposition. Acta Ecologica Sinica 28:2546–2553. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Nitrogen deposition and forest nitrogen cycling along an urban–rural transect in southern China. Glob. Change Biol. 17:872–885. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Chronic nitrogen enrichment affects the structure and function of the soil microbial community in temperate hardwood and pine forests. For. Ecol. Manage. 196:159–171. , , , and .
- 1996. The use of phospholipid fatty acid analysis to estimate bacterial and fungal biomass in soil. Biol. Fertil. Soils 22:59–65. , and .
- 2011. Use and misuse of PLFA measurements in soils. Soil Biol. Biochem. 43:1621–1625. , , and .
- 2004. Nitrogen cycles: past, present, and future. Biogeochemistry 70:153–226. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Transformation of the nitrogen cycle: recent trends, questions, and potential solutions. Science 320:889–892. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Response of the herbaceous layer of forest ecosystems to excess nitrogen deposition. J. Ecol. 94:1176–1191.
- 1997. Cyclopropane ring formation in membrane lipids of bacteria. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 61:429–441. , and .
- 2000. Long-term response of understory plant species to thinning and fertilization in a Douglas-fir plantation on southern Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Can. J. For. Res. 30:566–572. , and .
- 2008. Nitrogen effects on decomposition: a five-year experiment in eight temperate sites. Ecology 89:2633–2644.
- 2006. Tree growth and soil acidification in response to 30 years of experimental nitrogen loading on boreal forest. Glob. Change Biol. 12:489–499. , , , , and .
- 2007. Is microbial community composition in boreal forest soils determined by pH, C-to-N ratio, the trees, or all three? Oecologia 150:590–601. , , and .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis: summary for policy makers. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2010. Reduction of forest soil respiration in response to nitrogen deposition. Nat. Geosci. 3:315–322. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Effects of long-term nitrogen addition on microbial enzyme activity in eight forested and grassland sites: implications for litter and soil organic matter decomposition. Ecosystems 12:1–15. , , and .
- 2005. Restoration of degraded tropical forest landscapes. Science 310:1628–1632. , , and .
- 2004. Networks of power and influence: the role of mycorrhizal mycelium in controlling plant communities and agroecosystem functioning. Can. J. Bot. 82:1016–1045. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Nitrogen limitation of net primary productivity in terrestrial ecosystems is globally distributed. Ecology 89:371–379. , and .
- 2006. Effects of nutrient additions on ecosystem carbon cycle in a Puerto Rican tropical wet forest. Glob. Change Biol. 12:284–293. , , and .
- 1996. Soil physical and chemical analysis and description of soil profiles [in Chinese]. China Standard Press, Beijing, China. .
- 2010. A global perspective on belowground carbon dynamics under nitrogen enrichment. Ecol. Lett. 13:819–828. , and .
- 2010. Effects of experimental nitrogen additions on plant diversity in an old-growth tropical forest. Glob. Change Biol. 16:2688–2700. , , , , and .
- 2011. Effects of experimental nitrogen additions on plant diversity in tropical forests of contrasting disturbance regimes in southern China. Environ. Pollut. 159:2228–2235. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Acclimatization of soil respiration to warming in a tall grass prairie. Nature 413:622–625. , , , and .
- 2002. Nitrogen input together with ecosystem nitrogen enrichment predict nitrate leaching from European forests. Glob. Change Biol. 8:1028–1033. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Decoupling the direct and indirect effects of nitrogen deposition on ecosystem function. Ecol. Lett. 9:1015–1024. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Direct and indirect effects of nitrogen deposition on litter decomposition. Soil Biol. Biochem. 40:688–698. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Soil microbial communities resistant to changes in plant functional group composition. Soil Biol. Biochem. 43:78–85. , , and .
- 2010. Nitrogen deposition causes widespread loss of species richness in British habitats. Glob. Change Biol. 16:671–679. , , , , and .
- 2008a. Seedling growth response of two tropical tree species to nitrogen deposition in southern China. Eur. J. Forest Res. 127:275–283. , , and .
- 2008b. Nitrogen addition reduces soil respiration in a mature tropical forest in southern China. Glob. Change Biol. 14:403–412. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Signature fatty acids provide tools for determination of the distribution and interactions of mycorrhizal fungi in soil. FEMS Microbiol. Ecol. 29:303–310.
- 2008. Simulated chronic nitrogen deposition increases carbon storage in Northern Temperate forests. Glob. Change Biol. 14:142–153. , , , and .
- 2007. Biogeochemical consequences of rapid microbial turnover and seasonal succession in soil. Ecology 88:1379–1385. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Effects of elevated nitrogen deposition on soil organic carbon mineralization and soil enzyme activities in a Chinese fir plantation. Acta Ecologica Sinica 32:517–527. , , , , and .
- 2010. The dynamic response of soil respiration to land-use changes in subtropical China. Glob. Change Biol. 16:1107–1121. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Loss of forb diversity in relation to nitrogen deposition in the UK: regional trends and potential controls. Glob. Change Biol. 12:1823–1833. , , , and .
- 2008. Plant and microbe contribution to community resilience in a directionally changing environment. Ecol. Monogr. 78:313–329. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Nitrogen additions and microbial biomass: a meta-analysis of ecosystem studies. Ecol. Lett. 11:1111–1120.
- 2008. The unseen majority: soil microbes as drivers of plant diversity and productivity in terrestrial ecosystems. Ecol. Lett. 11:296–310. , , and .
- 2010. Simulated nitrogen deposition causes a decline of intra- and extraradical abundance of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and changes in microbial community structure in northern hardwood forests. Ecosystems 13:683–695. , , , and .
- 1991. Nitrogen limitation on land and in the sea: how can it occur? Biogeochemistry 13:87–115. , and .
- 1997. Human alteration of the global nitrogen cycle: sources and consequences. Ecol. Appl. 7:737–750. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Nitrogen deposition modifies soil carbon storage through changes in microbial enzymatic activity. Ecol. Appl. 14:1172–1177. , , , , and .
- 2006. Nitrogen fertilization decreases forest soil fungal and bacterial biomass in three long-term experiments. For. Ecol. Manage. 222:459–468. , , , , and .
- 2004. Ecological linkages between aboveground and belowground biota. Science 304:1629–1633. , , , , , and .
- 2006. The influence of plant litter diversity on decomposer abundance and diversity. Soil Biol. Biochem. 38:1052–1062. , , , and .
- 2012. Effects of nitrogen deposition on carbon sequestration in Chinese fir forest ecosystems. Sci. Total Environ. 416:351–361. , , , and .
- 2008. Global response patterns of terrestrial plant species to nitrogen addition. New Phytol. 179:428–439. , and .
- 2003. Plant diversity, soil microbial communities, and ecosystem function: are there any links? Ecology 84:2042–2050. , , , , and .