Effects of harvesting on spatial and temporal diversity of carbon stocks in a boreal forest landscape
Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 11, pages 3738–3750, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(11): 3738–3750
- Issue online: 9 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 31 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 JAN 2013
- 2008. Accounting of forest carbon sinks and sources under a future climate protocol – factoring out past disturbance and management effects on age-class structure. Environ. Sci. Policy 11:669–686. , , and .
- 2011. Potential influence of forest management on regional carbon stocks: an assessment of alternative scenarios in the northern Lake States, USA. For. Sci. 57:479–488.
- 2008. Future carbon storage in harvested wood products from Ontario's Crown forests. Can. J. For. Res. 38:1947–1958. , , , and .
- 2010. Carbon budget of Ontario's managed forests and harvested wood products, 2001–2100. For. Ecol. Manage. 259:1385–1398. , , , and .
- 2012. Forest protection and forest harvest as strategies for ecological sustainability and climate change mitigation. For. Ecol. Manage. 281:140–151. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. P. 79 in Forest inventory mapping procedures across Canada. Forestry Canada, Petawawa National Forestry Institute, Ottawa, Ontario. Information Report PI-X-114. , and .
- 1990. Effects on carbon storage of conversion of old-growth forest to young forests. Science 239:42–47. , , and .
- 2013. Approaches for inclusion of forest carbon cycle in life cycle assessment – a review. Glob. Change Biol. Bioenergy 5:475–486. , , , , and .
- 2008. A novel approach to optimize management strategies for carbon stored in both forests and wood products. For. Ecol. Manage. 256:786–797. , , and .
- 2002. P. 264 in Strategic forest management model version 2.0 user guide. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Forest Management Branch, Forest Management Planning Section. Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.
- 2012. Carbon balance on federal forest lands of Western Oregon and Washington: the impact of the Northwest Forest Plan. For. Ecol. Manage. 286:171–182. , , , and .
- 2011. Life cycle impacts of forest management and wood utilization on carbon mitigation: knowns and unknowns. Carbon Manage. 2:303–333. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Historic carbon budgets of Ontario's forest ecosystems. For. Ecol. Manage. 169:103–114. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Impacts of forest management on the carbon budget of European beech (Fagus sylvatica) forests. Allg. Forst. Jagdztg. 177:47–63. , and .
- 2010. Forest carbon storage in the northeastern United States: net effects of harvesting frequency, post-harvest retention, and wood products. For. Ecol. Manage. 259:1363–1375. , and .
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR). 1996. Forest management planning manual for Ontario's Crown forests. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Forest Management Branch, Toronto, Ontario.
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR). 2012. The boreal forest. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Ontario's Forests Factsheets. Toronto, Ontario. Available at http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Forests/2ColumnSubPage/240961.html (accessed 10 December 2012).
- 2011. A large and persistent carbon sink in the world's forests. Science 333:988–993. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. P. 32 in Quantifying Ontario's forest carbon budget. 1: carbon stocks and fluxes of forest ecosystems in 1990. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Ontario Forest Research Institute, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. Forest Research Report No. 158. , , , , and .
- 2008. Validation of empirical yield curves for natural-origin stands in boreal Ontario. For. Chron. 84:704–717. , , , and .
- 2012. Global warming potential factors and warming payback time as climate indicators of forest biomass use. Mitig. Adapt. Strat. Glob. Change 17:369–386. , , and .
- 1981. P. 40 in Normal yield tables (metric) for major forest species of Ontario. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Forest Research Group. Toronto, Ontario.
- 2010. Meta-analysis of greenhouse gas displacement factors of wood product substitution. Environ. Sci. Policy 13:104–114. , and .
- 2011. An inventory-based analysis of Canada's managed forest carbon dynamics, 1990 to 2008. Glob. Change Biol. 17:2227–2244. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Predicting short-term changes in carbon stocks in managed forests in central Canada. Mitig. Adapt. Strat. Glob. Change. doi: 10.1007/s11027-013-9460-4. , , and .
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2003. Good practice guidance for land use, land-use change and forestry in J. Penman, , , , , , , , , and , eds. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, National Greenhouse Gas Inventories Program/Institute for Global Environmental Strategies, Hayama, Japan. Available at http://www.ipcc-nggip.iges.or.jp/public/gpglulucf/gpglulucf.html (accessed 10 December 2012).
- 2005. Partitioning direct and indirect human-induced effects on carbon sequestration of managed coniferous forests using model simulations and forest inventories. Glob. Change Biol. 11:810–827. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Reply: a re-examination of the effects of fire suppression in the boreal forest. Can. J. For. Res. 31:1467–1480. , , and .
- 2011. P. 270 in The forest resources of Ontario 2011. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Forests Branch, Forest Evaluation and Standards Section, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.