Behavioral signature of intraspecific competition and density dependence in colony-breeding marine predators
Article first published online: 12 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 11, pages 3838–3854, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(11): 3838–3854
- Issue published online: 9 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 12 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 26 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 MAY 2013
- Future of Marine Animal Populations program
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Dalhousie University
- Canadian Ministry of Fisheries. Grant Numbers: 04-13, 02-91, 00-051, 98-078
- 1996. The relationship between foraging behaviour and energy expenditure in Antarctic fur seals. J. Zool. 239:769–782. , , and .
- 2004. Intraspecific variation in movement patterns: modeling individual behaviour in a large marine predator. Oikos 105:15–30. , , and .
- 2006. Linking movement, diving, and habitat to foraging success in a large marine predator. Ecology 87:3095–3108. , , , and .
- 2007. Sex differences in diet reflect seasonal variation in foraging behaviour and energy balance: evidence from quantitative fatty acid signature analysis. J. Anim. Ecol. 76:490–502. , , , and .
- 1981. The descriptive properties of some models for density dependence. J. Anim. Ecol. 50:139–156.
- 2010. Effects of age and body mass on development of diving capabilities of gray seal pups: costs and benefits of the postweaning fast. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 83:911–923. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Evaluating the potential for grey seal predation to explain elevated natural mortality in three fish species in the southern Gulf of St Lawrence. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 442:149–167. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Sustained exponential population growth of grey seals at Sable Island Nova Scotia. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 60:1265–1274. , , and .
- 2007. Reduced population growth of gray seals at Sable Island: evidence from pup production and age of primiparity. Mar. Mamm. Sci. 23:48–64. , , and .
- 2011. Pup production at Scotian Shelf grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) colonies in 2010. Can. Sci. Adv. Secr. Res. Doc. 2011/066.1–31. , , , and .
- 1999. Foraging and provisioning in Antarctic fur seals interannual variability in time-energy budgets. Behav. Ecol. 10:198–208.
- 2006. Sexual segregation of seasonal foraging habitats in a non-migratory marine mammal. Proc. R. Soc. B 273:2319–2326. , , , and .
- 2009. Sex-specific, seasonal foraging tactics of adult grey seals (Halichoerus grypus) revealed by state-space analysis. Ecology 90:3209–3221. , , , , and .
- 2011a. Development of foraging strategies with age in a long-lived marine predator. Mar. Eco. Prog. Ser. 431:267–279. , , and .
- 2011b. Electronic tracking tag programming is critical to data collection for behavioral time-series analysis. Ecosphere 2:art10. , , , and .
- 2012. State-space methods for more completely capturing behavioral dynamics from animal tracks. Ecol. Model. 235:49–58. , , , , and .
- 1983. Predation by sharks on the grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) in Eastern Canada. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 40:267–271. and .
- 2002. Timing of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.) seasonal migrations in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence: interannual variability and proximate control. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 59:333–351. , , and .
- 1971. Competition, disturbance, and community organization: the provision and subsequent utilization of space in a rocky intertidal community. Ecol. Monogr. 41:351–389.
- 2012. Comparative analysis of methods for inferring successful foraging areas from Argos and GPS tracking data. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 452:253–267. , , , and .
- 2005. Resource partitioning through oceanic segregation of foraging juvenile southern elephant seals (Mirounga leonina). Oecologia 142:127–135. , , , , and .
- 2005. Trophic cascades in a formerly cod-dominated ecosystem. Science 308:1621–1623. , , , and .
- 2011. Transient dynamics of an altered large marine ecosystem. Nature 477:86–89. , , , and .
- 1984. Seabird colony distributions suggest competition for food supplies during the breeding season. Nature 311:655–656. and .
- 2004. Offshore diplomacy, or how seabirds mitigate intra-specific competition: a case study based on GPS tracking of Cape gannets from neighbouring colonies. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 268:265–279. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Interspecific and intraspecific competition as causes of direct and delayed density dependence in a fluctuating vole population. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 96:986–991. , , , and .
- 2008. Predicting ecological consequences of marine top predator declines. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23:202–210. , , , and .
- Long-term changes in grey seal vital rates at Sable Island estimated from POPAN mark-resighting analysis of branded seals. Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2013/21. vi + 23. , , and . In press.
- 1992. Causes and consequences of dietary specialization in surfperches: patch choice and intraspecific competition. Ecology 73:402–412. and .
- 2009. Atlas of important habitat for key fish species of the Scotian Shelf, Canada. Canada. Can. Tech. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 2835. viii + 82. and .
- 2004. Quantitative fatty acid signature analysis: a new method of estimating predator diets. Ecol. Monogr. 74:211–235. , , , and .
- 2004. Season variation in nutrient composition of Alaskan walleye pollock. Can. J. Zool. 82:1408–1415. , , , and .
- 2009. Repeatability in lactation performance and the consequences for maternal reproductive success in gray seals. Ecology 90:2513–2523. , , and .
- 1986. Influence of predation risk on diet selection: a simple example in the grey squirrel. Anim. Behav. 34:536–544. and .
- 2000. Shark-inflicted mortality on a population of harbour seals (Phoca vitulina) at Sable Island, Nova Scotia. J. Zool. (Lond.) 252:405–414. and .
- MATLAB. 2011. Version 7.13. The MathWorks Inc., Natick, Massachusetts.
- 1974. Time delays, density-dependence and single-species oscillations. J. Anim. Ecol. 3:747–770. , , , and .
- 1973. The stability of predator-prey systems. Ecology 54:384–391. and .
- 2012. A general discrete-time modeling framework for animal movement using multistate random walks. Ecol. Monogr. 82:335–349. , , , , , and .
- 1981. Foraging efficiency and body size: a study of optimal diet and habitat use by bluegills. Ecology 62:1370–1386.
- 1954. An outline of the dynamics of animal populations. Aust. J. Zool. 2:9–65.
- 2005. Development of the blood and muscle oxygen stores in gray seals (Halichoerus grypus): implications for juvenile diving capacity and the necessity of a terrestrial postweaning fast. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 78:482–490. , , and .
- 1984. Ecological determinism in the competition for space. Ecology 65:1339–1348.
- 2011. M Map: a mapping package for Matlab.
- 1994. Identifying habitat associations of marine fishes using survey data: an application to the northwest Atlantic. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 51:589–602. and .
- 2001. Multivariate permutation tests: with applications in biostatistics. Wiley, Chichester.
- R Development Core Team, 2012. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL http://www.r-project.org.
- 1999. Sand lance: a review of biology and predator relations and annotated bibliography. Technical Report Res. Pap. PNW-RP-521, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station, Portland, OR. , , , and ,
- 2004. Satiation and compensation for short-term changes in food quality and availability in young Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus). Can. J. Zool. 82:1061–1069. and .
- 2012. Behavioral models as a common framework to predict impacts of environmental change on seabirds and fur seals. Deep Sea Res. Part II 65:304–315. and .
- 1984. Central Pacific seabirds and the El Nińo southern oscillation: 1982 to 1983 perspectives. Science 225:713–716. and .
- 2005. The evolution of lactation strategies in pinnipeds: a phylogenetic analysis. Ecol. Monogr. 75:159–177. and .
- SCOS. 2011. Scientific advice on matters related to the management of seal populations: 2011. Natural Environment Research Council, Swiddon, UK.
- 1998. Emergent impacts of multiple predators on prey. Trends Eco. Evol. 13:350–355. , , and .
- 1984. Spawning, embryo development and growth of the American sand lance (Ammodytes americanus) in the laboratory. Mar. Eco. Prog. Ser. 14:287–292. , , , , and .
- 2007. WinBUGS V. 1.4.3 user manual. MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge. , , , and .
- 1998. Seasonal variation in the habitat associations of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) and American plaice (Hippoglossoides platessoides) from the southern Gulf of St Lawrence. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 55:2548–2561. , , , and .
- 2008a. Using demography and movement behavior to predict range expansion of the southern sea otter. Eco. Appl. 18:1781–1794. , , and .
- 2008b. Food limitation leads to behavioral diversification and dietary specialization in sea otters. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 105:560–565. , , and .
- 1985. Drastic effects of El Niño on Galapagos pinnipeds. Oecologia 67:19–22. and .
- 2003. The decline of Steller sea lions Eumetopias jubatus in Alaska: a review of the nutritional stress hypothesis. Mammal Rev. 33:3–28. and .
- 2006. Continued decline of the threatened Eastern Scotian Shelf Atlantic cod population: how important is grey seal predation. Eco. Appl. 16:2276–2292. , , and .
- 2003. Complex population dynamics: a theoretical/empirical synthesis. Princeton Univ Press, Princeton, New Jersey.
- 2005. Low energy values of fish as a probable cause of a major seabird breeding failure in the North Sea. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 294:1–8. , , , and .