Intraspecific variation in the growth and survival of juvenile fish exposed to Eucalyptus leachate
Article first published online: 12 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 11, pages 3855–3867, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(11): 3855–3867
- Issue published online: 9 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 12 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 31 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 MAY 2013
- eWater CRC
- Australian Research Council
- Monash University
- 2010. Life in acid: interactive effects of pH and natural organic acids on growth, development and locomotor performance of larval striped marsh frogs (Limnodynastes peronii). J. Exp. Biol. 213:1293–1300. and .
- 1992. Benthic organic matter and detritivorous macroinvertebrates in 2 intermittent streams in south-eastern Australia. Hydrobiologia 241:107–118. and .
- 2002. Model selection and inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY. and .
- 1997. High pressure liquid chromatographic analysis of polyphenols in leaves of Eucalyptus camaldulensis, E. globulus and E. rudis: proanthocyanidins, ellagitannins and flavonol glycosides. Phytochem. Anal. 8:78–83. , , and .
- 2007. Leachates of Eucalyptus globulus in intermittent streams affect water parameters and invertebrates. Int. Rev. Hydrobiol. 92:173–182. and .
- 2005. Swimming ontogeny of larvae of four temperate marine fishes. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 292:287–300. , , and .
- 1987. Faunal and chemical dynamics of some acid and alkaline New Zealand streams. Freshw. Biol. 18:227–240. and .
- 1997. Low molecular weight polyphenols in leaves of Eucalyptus camaldulensis, E. globulus and E. rudis. Phytochem. Anal. 8:186–193. , and .
- 2007. Molecular genetic and stable isotope signatures reveal complementary patterns of population connectivity in the regionally vulnerable southern pygmy perch (Nannoperca australis). Biol. Conserv. 138:60–72. , and .
- 1999. Relationships between riverine fish and woody debris: implications for lowland rivers. Mar. Freshw. Res. 50:941–953. and .
- 2010. Using biological information to support proactive strategies for managing freshwater fish during drought. Mar. Freshw. Res. 61:379–387. , , , , and .
- 2008. Quantifying the evidence for ecological synergies. Ecol. Lett. 11:1278–1286. and .
- 2002. The essential oils of Eucalyptus camaldulensis and its natural hybrid (clone 583) from Morocco. Flavour. Fragr. J. 17:395–397. , , and .
- 2006. Alteration of the chemical environment disrupts communication in a freshwater fish. Proc. Biol. Sci. 273:1187–1193. , and .
- 1969. Distribution of polyphenols in the tea plant (Camellia sinesis L.). Biochem. J. 113:741–755. and .
- 2002. River Red Gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis Dehnh.) organic matter as a carbon source in the lower Darling River, Australia. Hydrobiologia 481:113–124. and .
- 2005. Harshness: characterisation of intermittent stream habitat over space and time. Mar. Freshw. Res. 56:13–23. and .
- 1993. Effects of river red gum, Eucalyptus camaldulensis, litter on golden perch, Macquaria ambigua. J. Fish Biol. 43:265–279. , and .
- 1994. Proportional hazards tests and diagnostics based on weighted residuals. Biometrika 81:515–526. and .
- 1966. Variation in polyphenol composition within species of Eucalyptus L'Herit. Phytochemistry 5:541–566.
- 2011. Flows and hypoxic blackwater events in managed ephemeral river channels. J. Hydrol. 401:117–125. , , and .
- 2007. Modelling blackwater: predicting water quality during flooding of lowland river forests. Ecol. Model. 203:229–242. , , and .
- 2008. Photodegradation, interaction with iron oxides and bioavailability of dissolved organic matter from forested floodplain sources. Mar. Freshw. Res. 59:780–791. , , and .
- 1999. Fish, flows and flood plains: links between freshwater fishes and their environment in the Murray-Darling River system, Australia. Environ. Biol. Fishes 56:129–151. , and .
- 2007. New insights into fish ion regulation and mitochondrion-rich cells. Comp. Biochem. Physiol., Part A Mol. Integr. Physiol. 148:479–497. and .
- 2008. The impact of dietary restriction, intermittent feeding and compensatory growth on reproductive investment and lifespan in a short-lived fish. Proc. Biol. Sci. 275:1703–1708. and .
- 1989. The flood pulse concept in river-floodplain systems. Pp. 110–127 in D. P. Dodge, eds. Proceedings of the international large river symposium. Canadian Special Publication of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 106, Ottawa, ON. , and .
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7:1225–1241. and .
- 1991. Flock feeding and food intake in little egrets: the effects of prey distribution and behaviour. J. Anim. Ecol. 60:241–252. , , and .
- 2004. Density and distribution of potential prey for larval fish in the main channel of a floodplain river: Pelagic versus epibenthic meiofauna. River Res. Appl. 20:883–897.
- 2012. Short-term effects of a prolonged blackwater event on aquatic fauna in the Murray River, Australia: considerations for future events. Mar. Freshw. Res. 63:576–586. , and .
- 2003. Ecological effects of perturbation by drought in flowing waters. Freshw. Biol. 48:1161–1172.
- 2008. Pool desiccation and developmental thresholds in the common frog, Rana temporaria. Proc. Biol. Sci. 275:1073–1080. , and .
- 2010. Biostatistical design and analysis using R: a practical guide. Blackwell Publishing, West Sussex.
- 2004. Adaptation to natural flow regimes. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:94–100. and .
- 2008. Evolution of aquatic insect behaviours across a gradient of disturbance predictability. Proc. Biol. Sci. 275:453–462. , and .
- 2013. Intraspecific variation overrides origin effects in impacts of litter-derived secondary compounds on larval amphibians. Oecologia, 1–11. doi:10.1007/s00442-013-2624-9 and .
- 2003. Consumption of coral propagules after mass spawning enhances larval quality of damselfish through maternal effects. Oecologia 136:37–45.
- 2004. Larval growth history determines juvenile growth and survival in a tropical marine fish. Oikos 106:225–242. and .
- 2008. A field and experimental study on the tolerances of fish to Eucalyptus camaldulensis leachate and low dissolved oxygen concentrations. Mar. Freshw. Res. 59:177–185. and .
- 2007. Behavioural responses of a south-east Australian floodplain fish community to gradual hypoxia. Freshw. Biol. 52:412–420. and .
- 2001. Compensation for a bad start: grow now, pay later? Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:254–260. and .
- 2010. Nuptial coloration varies with ambient light environment in a freshwater fish. J. Evol. Biol. 23:2718–2725. , , and .
- 2011. Eucalyptus leachate inhibits reproduction in a freshwater fish. Freshw. Biol. 56:1736–1745. , , and .
- 2012. Spatial variation in egg size and egg number reflects trade-offs and bet-hedging in a freshwater fish. J. Anim. Ecol. 81:806–817. , , and .
- 2000. Release and bioavailability of dissolved organic matter from floodplain litter: influence of origin and oxygen levels. Freshw. Biol. 45:333–342. , , and .
- 1995. Functional-organization of stream fish assemblages in relation to hydrological variability. Ecology 76:606–627. and .
- 2003. Individual variation in the timing of ontogenetic niche shifts in largemouth bass. Ecology 84:1298–1310.
- 2002. Experimental design and data analysis for biologists. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2003. Geographic variation in acid stress tolerance of the moor frog, Rana arvalis. II. Adaptive maternal effects. Evolution 57:363–371. , and .
- 2008. Terrestrial detritus supports the food webs in lowland intermittent streams of south-eastern Australia: a stable isotope study. Freshw. Biol. 53:2036–2050. , , and .
- 2000. Role of vegetable tannins in habitat selection among mosquito communities from the Alpine hydrosystems. CR Acad. Sci. III-Vie 323:391–398. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Environmental variation, life-history attributes, and community structure in stream fishes: implications for environmental management and assessment. Environ. Manage. 14:621–628.
- 1994. Sources, abundance and disappearance of polyphenolic compounds in temporary ponds of Donana National Park (South-western Spain). Aust. J. Mar. Freshw. Res. 45:1555–1564.
- 2006. Dissolved humic substances - ecological driving forces from the individual to the ecosystem level? Freshw. Biol. 51:1189–1210. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Survival analysis using S: analysis of time-to-event data. Chapman and Hall/CRC, London, U.K. and .
- 2006. The influence of juvenile and adult environments on life-history trajectories. Proc. Biol. Sci. 273:741–750.
- 1989. Acute and sub-acute toxicity of bark tannins in carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Water Res. 23:341–344. , , and .
- 2000. Modeling survival data: extending the Cox model. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY. and .
- 2003. A fish kill event, hypoxia and other limnological impacts associated with early wet season flow into a lake on the Mary River floodplain, tropical northern Australia. Lakes Reserv. Res. Manage. 8:169–176. and .
- 2010. Changes in organic-matter dynamics and physicochemistry, associated with riparian vegetation loss and river regulation in floodplain wetlands of the Murray River, Australia. Mar. Freshw. Res. 61:1207–1217. , and .
- 2011. The influence of leaf litter on zooplankton in floodplain wetlands: changes resulting from river regulation. Freshw. Biol. 56:2432–2447. , , and .
- 1987. The biology of fish growth. Academic Press, London, U.K. and .
- 2012. Drought, floods and water quality: drivers of a severe hypoxic blackwater event in a major river system (the southern Murray–Darling Basin, Australia). J. Hydrol. 450:190–198. , and .
- 2003. Protection by natural blackwater against disturbances in ion fluxes caused by low pH exposure in freshwater stingrays endemic to the Rio Negro. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 76:12–27. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer, New York, NY. , , , and .