A shared mechanism of defense against predators and parasites: chitin regulation and its implications for life-history theory
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 15, pages 5119–5126, December 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(15): 5119–5126
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 7 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 MAY 2013
- Wellcome Trust and NERC
- 2005. The Tribolium chitin synthase genes TcCHS1 and TcCHS2 are specialized for synthesis of epidermal cuticle and midgut peritrophic matrix. Insect Mol. Biol. 14:453–463. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Characterization of an atypical family 18 chitinase from the oyster Crassostrea gigas: evidence for a role in early development and immunity. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 31:559–570. , , , , and .
- 2001. Merging molecular and ecological approaches in plant-insect interactions. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 4:351–358. , , , and .
- 2011. Molecular evolution of juvenile hormone signaling. Pp. 333–352 in F. Friedberg, ed. Gene duplication. In Tech, Rijeka, Croatia. and .
- 1978. Effects of 20-hydroxy-ecdysone, juvenile hormone, Dimilin, and Captan on in vitro synthesis of peritrophic membranes in Calliphora erythrocephala. J. Insect Physiol. 24:699–705. .
- 2010. The reaction norm of size and age at maturity under multiple predator risk.. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:1069–1076. , , and .
- 1998. Predator-mediated plasticity in morphology, life history, and behavior of Daphnia: the uncoupling of responses. Am. Nat. 152:237–248. , , and .
- 1998. The regulation of phenotypic plasticity of eyespots in the butterfly Bicyclus anynana. Am. Nat. 152:853–860. , , and .
- 1999. Antimicrobial peptides in insects; structure and function. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 23:329–344. , , , and .
- 2005. A parasite-mediated life-history shift in Daphnia magna. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 272:505–509. and .
- 2011. Knickkopf protein protects and organizes chitin in the newly synthesized insect exoskeleton. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108: 17028–17033. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The Anopheles gambiae adult midgut peritrophic matrix proteome. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 39:125–134. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The evolution of virulence when parasites cause host castration and gigantism. Am. Nat. 164:S19–S32. , , , and .
- 1999. Hormonal control of male horn length dimorphism in the dung beetle Onthophagus taurus (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae). J. Insect Physiol. 45:45–53. and .
- 2000. The development and evolution of exaggerated morphologies in insects. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 45:661–708. and .
- 2005. The role of the pupal specifier, Br in the direct-developing milkweed bug, Oncopeltus fasciatus. Dev. Biol. 283:653–653. , , and .
- 2006. The pupal specifier broad directs progressive morphogenesis in a direct-developing insect. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103:6925–6930. , , and .
- 2009. The role of the pupal determinant broad during embryonic development of a direct-developing insect. Dev. Genes. Evol. 219:535–544. , , , and .
- 2002. Presence of chitinase and beta-N-acetylglucosaminidase in the Aedes aegypti: a chitinolytic system involving peritrophic matrix formation and degradation. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 32:1723–1729. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Mechanisms of life history evolution: the genetics and phyisiology of life history traits and trade-Offs. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 2008. Hormonal regulation of the humoral innate immune response in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Exp. Biol. 211:2712–2724. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The molecular mechanisms of cuticular melanization: the ecdysone cascade leading to dopa decarboxylase expression in Manduca sexta. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 39:245–253. and .
- 1999. Chitin and chitinases. Birkhauser (Springer), Basel. and .
- 1992. Acquisition and allocation of resources - genetic (Co)variances, selection, and life histories. Am. Nat. 139:749–770. and .
- 2002. Plant responses to insect herbivory: the Emerging Molecular Analysis. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 53:299–328. and .
- 2010. A gut-specific chitinase gene essential for regulation of chitin content of peritrophic matrix and growth of Ostrinia nubilalis larvae. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 40:621–629. , , , , and .
- 2009. Chitin metabolism in insects. Pp. 497–530 in L. I. Gilbert, ed. Insect development: morphogenesis, moulting and metamorphosis. Academic Press, Amsterdam. and .
- 1993. Sequence of a cDNA and expression of the gene encoding epidermal and gut chitinases of Manduca sexta. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 23:691–701. , , , and .
- 2001. Variation in fecundity among populations of snails is predicted by prevalence of castrating parasites. Evol. Ecol. Res. 3:191–197. .
- 2002. Facing multiple enemies: parasitised hosts respond to predator kairomones. Oecologia 132:344–349. and .
- 2008. Chitin regulation of immune responses: an old molecule with new roles. Curr. Opin. Immunol. 20:684–689. , , , , and .
- 1997. Peritrophic matrix structure and function. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 42:525–550.
- 1996. Immune response in insects: the role of phenoloxidase in defense reactions in relation to melanization and sclerotization. Arch. Insect Biochem. Physiol. 31:119–133. , , and .
- 2009. The components of the Daphnia pulex immune system as revealed by complete genome sequencing. BMC Genomics 10:175. , , , , and .
- 2003. Chitin metabolism in insects: structure, function and regulation of chitin synthases and chitinases. J. Exp. Biol. 206:4393–4412. and .
- 2008. Kruppel homolog 1 (Kr-h1) mediates juvenile hormone action during metamorphosis of Drosophila melanogaster. Mech. Dev. 125:91–105. , , and .
- 2007. Insect chitin synthase genes CHS-A and CHS-B are specialized for synthesis of epidermal cuticle and midgut peritrophic matrix. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A Mol. Integr. Physiol. 148:S57–S57. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Functional conversion of hemocyanin to phenoloxidase by horseshoe crab antimicrobial peptides. J. Biol. Chem. 276:27166–27170. , , and .
- 2003. Macrophages in chronic type 2 inflammation have a novel phenotype characterized by the abundant expression of Ym1 and Fizz1 that can be partly replicated in vitro. Immunol. Lett. 85:173–180. , , and .
- 1986. Acquisition and allocation of resources – their influence on variation in life-history tactics. Am. Nat. 128:137–142. , and .
- 2005. Production of male neonates in Daphnia magna (Cladocera, Crustacea) exposed to juvenile hormones and their analogs. Chemosphere 61:1168–1174. , , , , and .
- 2011. Morphological changes in Daphnia galeata induced by a crustacean terpenoid hormone and its analog. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 30:232–238. , , , , and .
- 2007. The environmental-endocrine basis of gynandromorphism (intersex) in a crustacean. Int. J. Biol. Sci. 3:77–84. and .
- 1999. Predator-induced life history shifts in Daphnia: a synthesis of studies using meta-analysis. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 56:2487–2494.
- 1995. Hormonal control of a seasonal polyphenism in Precis coenia (Lepidoptera, Nymphalidae). J. Insect Physiol. 41:987–992. and .
- 1997. Characterization of a novel gut-specific chitinase gene from the human malaria vector Anopheles gambiae. J. Biol. Chem. 272:28895–28900. and .
- 2004. Identification and molecular characterization of two immune responsive chitinase like proteins from Anopheles gambiae. Insect Mol. Biol. 13:387–398. and .
- 2005. Insect immunity: an evolutionary ecology perspective. Pp. 1–48 in Advances in Insect Physiology, Vol. 32. Elsevier Academic Press Inc, San Diego. , , and .
- 1998. Role of the prophenoloxidase-activating system in invertebrate immunity. Curr. Opin. Immunol. 10:23–28. and .
- 1986. Increased Oviposition and Growth in Immature Biomphalaria- Glabrata after Exposure to Schistosoma-Mansoni. Parasitology 93:443–450. , , and .
- 2006. Molecular evolution of plant immune system genes. Trends Genet. 22:662–670. and .
- 1999. The ecology and evolution of inducible defenses. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton. and .
- 2011. Potential role of chitinases and chitin-binding proteins in host-microbial interactions during the development of intestinal inflammation. Histol. Histopathol. 26:1453–1464. , , and .
- 1973. Hormonal control of cuticle coloration in tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta - Basis of an ultrasensitive bioassay for juvenile hormone. J. Insect Physiol. 19:195–203. , , and .
- 2010. Melanin Externalization in Candida albicans Depends on Cell Wall Chitin Structures. Eukaryot. Cell 9:1329–1342. , , , , , , et al.
- 1970. Insect hormones. Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh.
- 2010. New insights into plant responses to the attack from insect herbivores. Annu. Rev. Genet. 44:1–24. , and .
- 2006. Intermediary metabolism and life-history trade-offs: differential metabolism of amino acids underlies the dispersal-reproduction trade-off in a wing-polymorphic cricket. Am. Nat. 167:889–900. , and .
- 2001. Broad complex: a pupal-specific transcription factor that mediates the “status quo” effects of juvenile hormone. Dev. Biol. 235:261–261. and .
- 2002. Broad specifies pupal development and mediates the ‘status quo’ action of juvenile hormone on the pupal-adult transformation in Drosophila and Manduca. Development 129:2259–2269. and .
- 1998. Juvenile hormone prevents ecdysteroid-induced expression of broad complex RNAs in the epidermis of the tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta. Dev. Biol. 203:233–244. , , , and .