Individual heterogeneity in black brant survival and recruitment with implications for harvest dynamics
Article first published online: 19 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 4045–4056, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(12): 4045–4056
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 19 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 2 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUL 2013
- Institute of Arctic Biology
- 1976. Population ecology of the mallard: VI. The effect of exploitation on survival. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Resource Publication No. 128, 66 pp. and .
- 1997. Reproductive success and female survival affect local population density of Canvasbacks. J. Wildl. Manage. 61:1174–1191. , , and .
- 1918. On the question of the biological basis of fisheries. Nauchni issledovatelskii ikhtiologicheskii Institut Isvestia 1:81–128.
- 1957. On the dynamics of exploited fish populations. Fisheries investigation (Series 2), Vol. 19. Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (UK), London. and .
- 2009. An integrated analysis of the multistate recruitment, mark-recapture-recovery and multisite census data. Pp. 579–591 in D. L. Thomson, E. G. Cooch and M. J. Conroy, eds. Modeling demographic processes in marked populations. Springer Series: Environmental and Ecological Statistics, Vol. 3., New York, NY. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Optimizing removals to control a metapopulation: application to the yellow legged herring gull (Larus cachinnans). Ecol. Model. 136:269–284. and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Springer, New York. and .
- 2002. Individual covariation in life-history traits: seeing the trees despite the forest. Am. Nat. 159:96–105. , , , , and .
- 2001. Matrix population models: construction, analysis and interpretation. 2nd ed. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 2009. U-CARE: utilities for performing goodness of fit tests and manipulating CApture-REcapture data. Ecography 32:1071–1074. , , , , and .
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426:655–658. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Evaluating mallard adaptive management models with time series. J. Wildl. Manage. 68:1065–1082. and .
- 2005. Modeling regional waterfowl harvest rates using Markov Chain Monte Carlo. J. Wildl. Manage. 69:77–90. , , and .
- 1995. The snow geese of La Pérouse Bay: natural selection in the wild. Oxford Ornithology Series, Oxford Univ. Press, New York. , , and .
- 2006. Recruitment to a seabird population depends on environmental factors and on population size. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:228–238. , , , , and .
- 2003. Mixture models for estimating the size of a closed population when capture rates vary among individuals. Biometrics 59:351–364. and .
- 1993. Condition and vulnerability to hunting among mallards staging at Lake St. Clair, Ontario. J. Wildl. Manage. 57:209–215. , , and .
- 2012. Bias in estimation of adult survival and asymptotic population growth rate caused by undetected capture heterogeneity. Methods Ecol. Evol. 3:206–216. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The relative impact of a spring hunt on snow goose population dynamics. Canadian Wildlife Service Occasional Paper 102:6–16.
- 2007. Selective harvesting and habitat loss produce long-term life history changes in a mouflon population. Ecol. Appl. 17:1607–1618. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Seasonal survival of greater snow geese and effect of hunting under dependence in sighting probability. Ecology 82:3105–3119. , , , and .
- 1989. Population harvesting: demographic models of fish, forest, and animal resources. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ. and .
- 1986. Condition bias of hunter-shot mallards (Anas platyrhynchos). Can. J. Zool. 64:599–601. , , and .
- 2006. Control of structured populations by harvest. Ecol. Model. 96:462–470. , , and .
- 1993. Further evidence of biases associated with hunter-killed mallards. J. Wildl. Manage. 57:733–740. , , and .
- 1992. Ecology and management of postbreeding waterfowl. Pp. 128–189 in B. D. J. Batt, A. D. Afton, M. G. Anderson, C. D. Ankney, D. H. Johnson, J. A. Kadlec and G. L. Krapu, eds. Ecology and management of breeding waterfowl. Univ. of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, MN. , , and .
- 1984. The role of heterogeneity in animal population dynamics. Proc. Int. Biometrics Conf. 13:1–15. , , and .
- 1988. Some considerations in modeling the mallard life cycle. Pp. 9–20 in M. W. Weller, ed. Waterfowl in winter. Univ. of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, MN. , , , and .
- 1992. Population dynamics of breeding waterfowl. Pp. 446–485 in B. D. J. Batt, A. D. Afton, M. G. Anderson, C. D. Ankney, D. H. Johnson, J. A. Kadlec and G. L. Krapu, eds. Ecology and management of breeding waterfowl. Univ. of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, MN. , , and .
- 1993. Developing an adaptive management strategy for harvesting waterfowl in North America. Trans. N. A. Wildl. Nat. Resour. Conf. 58:565–583. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Optimal and suboptimal use of compensatory responses to harvesting: timing of hunting as an example. Wildl. Biol. 7:141–150.
- 2005. Dynamical and statistical models for exploited populations. Aust. N. Z. J. Stat. 47:49–63.
- 2009. Assessing density-dependence: where are we left? Pp. 19–32 in D. L. Thompson, E. G. Cooch and M. J. Conroy, eds. Modeling demographic processes in marked populations. Environ. Ecol. Stat. 3:1099–1106.
- 2003. Estimation by capture-recapture of recruitment and dispersal over several sites. Oikos 101:253–264. , , , , and .
- 1995. ULM, a software for conservation and evolutionary biologists. J. Appl. Stat. 22:817–834. and .
- 1998. Ecological significance of brood-site fidelity of black brant: annual, spatial, and age-related variation. Auk 115:436–446. and .
- 1998. Population structure and natal and breeding movements in a Black Brant metapopulation. Ecology 79:1893–1904. , , , and .
- 2002. Model based individual fitness. J. Appl. Stat. 29:207–224. , , and .
- 1960. On the relationship between reproductive value and optimal predation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 46:143–145.
- 1984. Compensatory mortality in waterfowl populations: a review of the evidence and implications for research and management. Trans. N. Am. Wildl. Nat. Resour. Conf. 49:535–554. , , , and .
- 1995. Managing North American waterfowl in the face of uncertainty. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 26:177–199. , , and .
- 2012. Are there trade-offs between pre- and post-fledging survival in black brent geese? J. Anim. Ecol. 81:788–797. and .
- 2012. Mate loss affects survival but not breeding in Black Brant geese. Behav. Ecol. 23:643–648. , , , and .
- 2004. Evaluation of ultrastructure and random effects band recovery models for estimating relationships between survival and harvest rates in exploited populations. Anim. Biodivers. Conserv. 27:157–173. and .
- 1999. Direct recovery rates of lesser scaup banded in the Northwest Minnesota: sources of heterogeneity. J. Wildl. Manage. 63:389–395. and .
- 2002. Modelling heterogeneity of survival in band–recovery data using mixtures. J. Appl. Stat. 29:315–327. and .
- 2005. Multievent: an extension of multistate capture-recapture models to uncertain states. Biometrics 61:442–447.
- 1999. Comparison of different approaches to the study of local recruitment of breeders. Bird Study 46(Suppl.):74–81. and .
- 1998. Brant (Branta bernicla) species account. In A. Poole, ed. The Birds of North America Online. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca. Retrieved from the Birds of North America Online: http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/337. , , , and .
- 1992. Effect of hunting on annual survival of Canada geese in Utah. J. Wildl. Manage. 56:297–305.
- 2001. Conservation of exploited species. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, MA. , , , and .
- 2002. The importance of functional form in optimal control solutions of problems in population dynamics. Ecology 83:1357–1371. and .
- 2004. Testing the additive versus the compensatory hypothesis of mortality from ring recovery data using a random effects model. Anim. Biodivers. Conserv. 27:73–85. and .
- 2007. Survival and breeding advantages of larger Black Brant goslings: within and among cohort variation. Auk 124:1281–1293. and .
- 1991. Growth rate is negatively correlated with hatch date in Black Brant. Ecology 72:496–502. and .
- 2012. Harvest and dynamics of duck populations. J. Wildl. Manage. 76:1108–1116. and .
- 2011. Recent trends in first-year survival for Black Brant breeding in southwestern Alaska. Condor 113:511–517. and .
- 1994. Do restrictive harvest regulations result in higher survival rates in mallards? Comment on Smith and Reynolds. J. Wildl. Manage. 58:571–577. and .
- 1993. Current status and recent dynamics of the Black Brant breeding population. Wildfowl 44:49–59. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Testing for handling bias in survival estimation for Black Brant. J. Wildl. Manage. 61:782–791. , , , , and .
- 1998. Density dependent effects on growth, body size and clutch size in Black Brant. Auk 115:613–620. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Age-specific breeding probability in Black Brant: effects of population density. J. Anim. Ecol. 70:798–807. , , and .
- 2007. Harvest, density dependence and survival in black brant: a record of population dynamics. J. Wildl. Manage. 71:496–506. , , , , and .
- 2008. Fidelity and breeding probability related to population density and individual quality in black brent geese (Branta bernicla nigricans). J. Anim. Ecol. 77:702–712. , , , and .
- 1998. Sampling-variance effects on detecting density dependence from temporal trends in natural populations. Ecol. Monogr. 68:445–463. , , and .
- 1992. Hunting and mallard survival, 1979–88. J. Wildl. Manage. 56:306–316. and .
- 1990. Relatives' risks: frailty models of life history data. Theor. Popul. Biol. 37:220–234.
- 1985. Heterogeneity's ruses: some surprising effects of selection on population dynamics. Am. Stat. 39:176–185. and .
- 2005. Density dependence in North American ducks. Ecology 86:245–254. , , , and .
- 1997. Seasonal and annual survival of adult Pacific brant. J. Wildl. Manage. 61:773–781. , , , , and .
- 2002. Discussant: the use of auxiliary variables in capture-recapture modeling: an overview. J. Appl. Stat. 29:103–106.
- 2002. Analysis and management of animal populations. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , and .