Consequences of variation in foraging success among predators on numerical response
Article first published online: 17 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 11, pages 4039–4043, October 2013
Total views since publication: 96
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(11): 4039–4043
- Issue published online: 9 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 17 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 13 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 JUN 2013
- National Science Council of Taiwan. Grant Numbers: 99-2628-B-002-051-MY3, 102-2311-B-002-038-MY3
- 1982. Functional responses of optimal foragers. Am. Nat. 120:382–390.
- 2000. The evolution of predator-prey interactions: theory and evidence. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 31:79–105.
- 2002. Will small population sizes warn us of impending extinctions? Am. Nat. 160:293–305.
- 2000. The nature of predation: prey dependent, or ratio dependent or neither? Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:337–341. and .
- 1999. Numerical response of ladybird beetles (Col., Coccinellidae) to aphid prey (Hom., Aphididae) in a field bean in north-east India. J. Appl. Entomol. 123:401–405. and .
- 2012. How species interact: altering the standard view on trophic ecology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. and .
- 2011. Why intraspecific trait variation matters in community ecology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 26:183–192. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. The combined effects of temperature and food consumption on body weight, egg production and developmental time in Chaoborus crystallinus De Geer (Diptera: Chaoboridae). Oecologia 88:470–476. and .
- 2000. An illustrated guide to theoretical ecology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1999. Effect of long-term feeding history on functional and numerical response of Neoseiulus californicus (Acari: Phytoseiidae). Exp. Appl. Acarol. 23:217–234. and .
- 1975. The numerical responses of insect predators to changes in prey density. J. Anim. Ecol. 44:877–892.
- 2008. A primer of ecology. 4th ed. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA, USA. .
- 1997. Population biology. Springer, New York, NY, USA.
- 1992. Attack strategy of ladybird beetles (Coccinellidae): factors shaping their numerical response. Oecologia 90:238–245. , , and .
- 1993. Intraspecific variation in body size and fecundity in insects: a general relationship. Oikos 66:483–492.
- 2009. Functional responses modified by predator density. Oecologia 159:425–433. , , , and .
- 1983. Influence of prey density on fecundity in a mantis, Paratenodera angustipennis (s.). Oecologia 56:306–312. and .
- 2012. Intraspecific density dependence and a guild of consumers coexisting on one resource. Ecology 93:2728–2735.
- 1975. Functional response and stability in predator-prey systems. Am. Nat. 109:289–298. and .
- 2008. Individual behavioral variation in predator-prey models. Ecol. Res. 23:665–671.
- 2009. Local interactions between predators and prey call into question commonly used functional responses. Ecol. Model. 220:1182–1188.
- 2012. Flexible components of functional responses. J. Anim. Ecol. 81:185–189.
- 2013. On selection of functional response models: Holling's models and more. Biocontrol 58:293–298.
- 2011. Solutions for functional response experiments. Acta Oecologica 37:512–516. and .
- 1963. Graphical representation and stability condition for predator-prey interactions. Am. Nat. 97:209–223. and .
- 2012. Prey-predator dynamics in rotifers: density-dependent consequences of spatial heterogeneity due to surface attachment. Ecology 93:1795–1801. , , and .