Diet analysis by next-generation sequencing indicates the frequent consumption of introduced plants by the critically endangered red-headed wood pigeon (Columba janthina nitens) in oceanic island habitats
Article first published online: 19 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 4057–4069, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(12): 4057–4069
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 19 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 25 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 JUN 2013
- JSPS KAKENHI. Grant Number: 20248017
- The Japan Science Society
- JSPS Fellows
- 2009. Indirect effects of invasive species removal devastate World Heritage Island. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:73–81. , , , , , , et al.
- BirdLife International. 2008. Many threatened birds are restricted to small islands. Presented as part of the BirdLife State of the world's birds website. Available at: http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/sowb/casestudy/173 (accessed 2 April 2013).
- 2004. A new statistical approach for assessing similarity of species composition with incidence and abundance data. Ecol. Let. 8:148–159. , , , and .
- 1993. Non-parametric multivariate analyses of changes in community structure. Aust. J. Ecol. 18:117–143.
- 2005. Molecular scatology as a tool to study diet: analysis of prey DNA inscats from captive Steller sea lions. Mol. Ecol. 14:1831–1842. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Studying seabird diet through genetic analysis of faeces: a case study on macaroni penguins (Eudyptes chrysolophus). PLoS ONE 2:e831. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Analysis of Australian fur seal diet by pyrosequencing prey DNA in faeces. Mol. Ecol. 18:2022–2038. , , and .
- 2010. Pyrosequencing faecal DNA to determine diet of little penguins: is what goes in what comes out? Conserv. Genet. 11:2039–2048. , , , and .
- 2011. Similarity indices, ordination, and community analysis tests using the software R. Japan J. Ecol. 61:3–20 (in Japanese with English summary). , and .
- Ecological Society of Japan. 2002. Handbook of alien species in Japan. Tanin Shokan, Tokyo, Japan (in Japanese).
- Environmental Agency of Japan. 2006. The Japanese bird red list. Environment Agency of Japan, Tokyo, Japan (in Japanese).
- 2001. Pigeons and doves: a guide to the pigeons and doves of the world. Yale University Press, New Haven and London, U. K. , , and .
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp. Ser. 41:95–98.
- 2010. Effects of an alien shrub species, Leucaena leucocephala, on establishment of native mid-successional tree species after disturbance in the national park in the Chichijima island, a subtropical oceanic island. Pp. 103–110 in K. Kawakami, I. Okochi, eds. Restoring the oceanic Island ecosystem. impact and management of invasive alien species in the Bonin Islands. Springer, Tokyo, Japan. , , and ,
- 1985. Woody plants of Japan (Nihon no Jyumoku). Yama-to-keikoku-sha, Tokyo, Japan (in Japanese).
- 2005. The promise of DNA barcoding for taxonomy. Syst. Biol. 54:852–859. , and .
- 2008. Final report red-headed wood pigeon Population and Habitat Viability Assessment (PHVA) workshop. Red-headed Wood Pigeon PHVA Workshop, Ogasawara, Japan (in Japanese).
- 2010. Impact of invasive alien species on native ecosystems on the Bonin Islands. Pp. 11–14 in K. Kawakami, I. Okochi, eds. Restoring the oceanic island ecosystem. impact and management of invasive alien species in the Bonin Islands. Springer, Tokyo, Japan.
- Kanto Regional Environmental Office. 2011. Report about conservation of the red-headed wood pigeon in breeding season (Akagashirakarasubato Hogo Zousyoku Jigyou ni Kansuru Tyousa Tou Gyoumu (Hansyokuki) Houkokusyo). Kanto Regional Environmental Office, Tokyo, Japan (in Japanese).
- Kanto Regional Forestry Office. 2005. Akagashirakarasubato Kishyo Yasei Doshokubutusyu-shu Hogokanri Taisaku Chosa Hokokmusyo (Report about Conservation and Management of Endangered Species of Natural Fauna and Flora: Red-headed Wood Pigeon). Kanto Regional Forestry Office, Tokyo, Japan (in Japanese).
- Kanto Regional Forestry Office. 2006. Akagashirakarasubato Kishyo Yasei Doshokubutusyu-shu Hogokanri Taisaku Chosa Hokokmusyo (Report about Conservation and Management of Endangered Species of Natural Fauna and Flora: Red-headed Wood Pigeon). Kanto Regional Forestry Office, Tokyo, Japan (in Japanese).
- 2005. Introduced animals in the diet of the Ogasawara buzzard, an endemic insular raptor in the Pacific Ocean. J. Raptor Res. 39:173–179. , and .
- 2008. Threats to indigenous biota from introduced species on the Bonin Islands southern Japan. J. Disaster Res. 3:174–186.
- 2010. What's the Bonin Islands? Pp. 3–7 in K. Kawakami, I. Okochi ed, Restoring the oceanic island ecosystem. impact and management of invasive alien species in the Bonin Islands. Springer, Tokyo, Japan. .
- 2011. Influence of management practices on large herbivore diet—Case of European bison in Białowieza Primeval Forest (Poland). For. Ecol. Manage. 261:821–828. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. A universal DNA mini-barcode for biodiversity analysis. BMC Genomics 9:214. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Development of primers for the mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase I gene in digenetic trematodes (Platyhelminthes) illustrates the challenge of barcoding parasitic helminths. Mol. Ecol. Res. 9:75–82. , , , , and .
- 2010. Vegan: Community Ecology Package. R package version 1.17-4. Available from http://cran.r-project.org/, http://vegan.r-forge.r-project.org/. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Diet of the endemic Madeira Laurel Pigeon and fruit resource availability: a study using microhistological analyses. Condor 104:811–822. , , and .
- 2009. Universal DNA based methods for assessing the diet of grazing livestock and wildlife from feces. J. Agric. Food Chem. 57:5700–5706. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Who is eating what: diet assessment using next generation sequencing. Mol. Ecol. 21:1931–1950. , , , , , and .
- 2011. New insights on diet variability revealed by DNA barcoding and high-throughput pyrosequencing: chamois diet in autumn as a case study. Ecol. Res. 26:265–276. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Carnivore diet analysis based on next-generation sequencing: application to the leopard cat (Prionailurus bengalensis) in Pakistan. Mol. Ecol. 21:1951–1965. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Detection of secondary predation by PCR analyses of the gut contents of invertebrate generalist predators. Mol. Ecol. 14:4461–4468. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Japanese Wood Pigeons Columba janthina nitens as a seed disperser in the Ogasawara Islands, southern Japan. Strix 24:171–176 (in Japanese with English summary). , and .
- 2013. Impacts of biological invasions: what's what and the way forward. Trends Ecol. Evol. 28:58–66. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Analysing diet of small herbivores: the efficiency of DNA barcoding coupled with high-throughput pyrosequencing for deciphering the composition of complex plant mixtures. Front. Zool. 6:16. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Universal primers for amplification of three non-coding regions of chloroplast DNA. Plant Mol. Biol. 17:1105–1109. , , , and .
- 2007. Power and limitations of the chloroplast trnL (UAA) intron for plant DNA barcoding. Nucleic Acids Res. 35:e14. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Ecology and conservation of the Japanese wood pigeon, Columba janthina nitens, in Ogasawara. Trans. 47th Meet. Kanto Branch Jpn. For. Soc. Pp. 67–70 (in Japanese). , , , , and .
- 2010. Eradication of the Invasive Tree Species Bischofia javanica and Restoration of Native Forests on the Ogasawara Islands. Pp. 161–171 in K. Kawakami, I. Okochi, eds., Restoring the oceanic island ecosystem. impact and management of invasive alien species in the Bonin Islands. Springer, Tokyo, Japan. , , , , and .
- The Ornithological Society of Japan. 2012. Check-list of Japanese birds, 7th edn The Ornithological Society of Japan, Sanda, Japan.
- 2003. Flora of the Bonin Islands, 2nd edn. Aboc-sha, Kamakura, Japan (in Japanese).
- 2009a. New perspectives in diet analysis based on DNA barcoding and parallel pyrosequencing: the trnL approach. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 9:51–60. , , , , and .
- 2009b. DNA barcoding for ecologists. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:110–117. , , and .
- 2009. Conservation of the endemic species on the Ogasawara Islands Psychotria homalosperm. Ogasawara Kenkyu Nenpo 32:11–26. , , and .
- 2007. Island biogeography, 2nd edn. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U. K.
- Wild Bird Society of Japan. 1998. Research on the ecology and conservation of the Japanese wood pigeon (Karasubato no Seitai to Hogo ni kansuru Chosa). Tokyo Metropolitan Government, Tokyo, Japan (in Japanese).
- 2012. DNA from soil mirrors plant taxonomic and growth form diversity. Mol. Ecol. 21:3647–3655. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. The occurrence of Eupristina (Parapristina) verticillata WATERSTON (Hymenoptera, Agaonidae) in the Bonin Islands. Jap. J. Entomol. 64:91–92.