Context-specific effects of the identity of detrital mixtures on invertebrate communities
Article first published online: 17 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 11, pages 3986–3999, October 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(11): 3986–3999
- Issue published online: 9 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 17 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 15 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 APR 2013
- Hermon Slade Foundation. Grant Number: HSF 07/12
- Australian Research Council Discovery. Grant Numbers: DP0558122, DP1093444
- 1987. The influence of mangrove derived tannins on intertidal meiobenthos in tropical mangrove estuaries. Oecologia 71:537–540.
- 2001. A new method for non-parametric multivariate analysis of variance. Austral Ecol. 26:32–46.
- 1979. Detritus processing by macroinvertebrates in stream ecosystems. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 24:351–377. and .
- 2008. Resources from another place and time: responses to pulses in a spatially subsidised system. Ecology 89:660–670. , , and .
- 2005. Invasive species accelerate decomposition and litter nitrogen loss in a mixed deciduous forest. Ecol. Appl. 15:1263–1272. , , , , and .
- 1998. Mollusca: the southern synthesis. Fauna of Australia, volume 5, parts A and B. CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne. , , and .
- 2000. Polychaetes and allies: the southern synthesis. Fauna of Australia, volume 4A. Polychaeta, Myzostomida, Pogonophora, Echiura, Sipuncula. CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne. , , and .
- 2004. Increasing accuracy of causal inference in experimental analyses of biodiversity. Funct. Ecol. 18:761–768.
- 2008. Non-additive, identity-dependent effects of detrital species mixing on soft-sediment communities. Oikos 117:531–542. and .
- 2013. Replacement of native seagrass with invasive algal detritus: impacts to estuarine sediment communities. Biol. Invasions 15:45–59. and .
- 2007. Trophic cul-de-sac, Pyrazus ebeninus, limits trophic transfer through an estuarine detritus-based food web. Oikos 116:427–438. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Cross-habitat impacts of species decline: response of estuarine sediment communities to changing detrital resources. Oecologia 163:517–525. , , and .
- 1993. Non-parametric multivariate analyses of changes in community structure. Aust. J. Ecol. 18:117–143.
- 1994. The role of kelp detritus in the growth of benthic suspension feeders in an understory kelp forest. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 176:53–68. and .
- 1997. Is kelp detritus a good food for suspension feeders? Effects of kelp species, age and secondary metabolites. Mar. Biol. 128:489–495. and .
- 1972. Stream ecosystem: organic energy budget. Bioscience 22:33–35. and .
- 2004. Decomposition dynamics in mixed-species leaf litter. Oikos 104:230–246. and .
- 2006. Limited grazing pressure by native herbivores on the invasive seaweed Caulerpa taxifolia in a temperate Australian estuary. Mar. Freshw. Res. 57:685–694. and .
- 2009. Diversity in fragments of artificial and natural marine habitats. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 384:23–31.
- 2006. The impacts of climate change in coastal marine systems. Ecol. Lett. 9:228–241. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Biodiversity and litter decomposition in terrestrial ecosystems. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 36:191–218. , , and .
- 2012. Spatial variation in the structure of mangrove forests with respect to seawalls. Mar. Freshw. Res. 63:926–933. and .
- 2005. Contrasting effects of substrate and fertilizer nitrogen on the early stages of litter decomposition. Ecosystems 8:644–656.
- Industry and Investment NSW. 2009. NSW control plan for the noxious marine alga Caulerpa taxifolia. Industry and Investment NSW, Port Stephens.
- 2003. Variation in detrital enrichment causes spatio-temporal variation in soft-sediment assemblages. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 261:85–97. and .
- 2001. Patterns of distribution of macro-fauna in different types of estuarine soft sediment habitats adjacent to urban and non-urban areas. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 52:237–246. and .
- 2006. Depletion, degradation, and recovery potential of estuaries and coastal seas. Science 312:1806–1809. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Paleoreconstruction of estuarine sediments reveal human-induced weakening of coastal carbon sinks. Glob. Change Biol. 18:891–901. , , , , and .
- 1982. Nitrogen and lignin control of hardwood leaf litter decomposition dynamics. Ecology 63:621–626. , , and .
- 2006. Decay of multiple species of seagrass detritus is dominated by species identity, with an important influence of mixing litters. Oikos 114:329–337. , and .
- 1992. Temporal variation in soft sediment benthos. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 164:233–245. , , , and .
- 2007. Succession of macrofauna on macroalgal wrack of an exposed sandy beach: effects of patch size and site. Mar. Environ. Res. 63:19–40. , , and .
- 2010. The effect of wrack composition and diversity on macrofaunal assemblages in intertidal marine sediments. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 396:18–26. , , , and .
- 1978. Macrobenthic succession in relation to organic enrichment and pollution of the marine environment. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Annu. Rev. 16:229–311. and .
- 1997. Towards an integration of landscape and food web ecology: the dynamics of spatially subsidized food webs. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 28:289–316. , , and .
- 1991. Seasonal food limitation of detritivores in a montane stream: an experimental test. Ecology 72:873–887.
- 2006. Small-scale burial of macroalgal detritus in marine sediments: effects of Ulva spp. on the spatial distribution of macrofauna assemblages. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 332:84–95.
- 1982. Seasonal distribution of bacteria in salt-marsh sediments in North Carolina. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 15:67–74.
- 1999. Mangrove transgression into saltmarsh environments in south-east Australia. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 8:117–124. and .
- 1989. Decline of seagrasses. P. 346 in A. W. D. Larkum, A. J. McComb and S. A. Shepherd, eds. Biology of seagrasses. Elsevier, Amsterdam. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Do non-additive effects on decomposition in litter-mix experiments result from differences in resource quality between litters?. Oikos 102:235–242. , and .
- 2009. Diversity has stronger top-down than bottom-up effects on decomposition. Ecology 90:1073–1083. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Impacts of detritus of the invasive alga Caulerpa taxifolia on a soft sediment community. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 420:73–81. , , , and .
- 2010. Macro-detritivore identity drives leaf litter diversity effects. Oikos 120:1092–1098. , , , , and .
- 1999. Effects of resource limitation on a detrital-based ecosystem. Ecol. Monogr. 69:409–442. , , , and .
- 2009. Accelerating loss of seagrasses across the globe threatens coastal ecosystems. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106:12377–12381. , , , , , , et al.