Adaptive divergence along environmental gradients in a climate-change-sensitive mammal
Article first published online: 16 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 11, pages 3906–3917, October 2013
Total views since publication: 310
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(11): 3906–3917
- Issue published online: 9 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 16 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 16 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 AUG 2013
- NSERC Discovery. Grant Number: 341711-07
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Number: PBSKP3_128523
- University of Northern British Columbia
- 2010. Genomics and the future of conservation genetics. Nat. Rev. Genet. 11:697–709. , , and .
- 2011. MCHEZA: a workbench to detect selection using dominant markers. Bioinformatics 27:1717–1718. and .
- 1996. Evaluating loci for use in the genetic analysis of population structure. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263:1619–1626. and .
- 2003. Patterns of apparent extirpation among isolated populations of pikas (Ochotona princeps) in the Great Basin. J. Mammal. 84:37–54. , , and .
- 2010. Testing alternative models of climate-mediated extirpations. Ecol. Appl. 20:164–178. , , , and .
- 2011. Contemporary climate change alters the pace and drivers of extinction. Glob. Change Biol. 17:2054–2070. , , , , and .
- 2005. Use of amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) markers in surveys of vertebrate diversity. Meth. Enzymol. Producing Biochem. Data Part B 395:145–161. , , and .
- 2006. Explorative genome scan to detect candidate loci for adaptation along a gradient of altitude in the common frog (Rana temporaria). Mol. Biol. Evol. 23:773–783. , , , and .
- 2007a. Statistical analysis of amplified fragment length polymorphism data: a toolbox for molecular ecologists and evolutionists. Mol. Ecol. 16:3737–3758. , , and .
- 2007b. Population adaptive index: a new method to help measure intraspecific genetic diversity and prioritize populations for conservation. Conserv. Biol. 21:697–708. , , , , and .
- 2002. Pattern does not equal process: what does patch occupancy really tell us about metapopulation dynamics? Am. Nat. 159:351–362. , , and .
- 2013. Detecting selection along environmental gradients: analysis of eight methods and their effectiveness for outbreeding and selfing populations. Mol. Ecol. 22:1383–1399. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. The ade4 package: implementing the duality diagram for ecologists. J. Stat. Softw. 22:1–20. and .
- 2006. AFLPDAT: a collection of R functions for convenient handling of AFLP data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:603–604.
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:564–567. and .
- 2009. Detecting loci under selection in a hierarchically structured population. Heredity 103:285–298. , , and .
- 2008. A genome-scan method to identify selected loci appropriate for both dominant and codominant markers: a Bayesian perspective. Genetics 180:977–993. and .
- 2012. Harnessing genomics for delineating conservation units. Trends Ecol. Evol. 27:489–496. , , , and .
- 2011. Obtaining high quality DNA from elusive small mammals using low-tech hair snares. Eur. J. Wildl. Res. 57:429–435. and .
- 2012a. Divergence in microhabitat characteristics in American pikas from low and high elevations. Northwest Sci. 86:346–350. , , and .
- 2012b. Genetic evidence for restricted dispersal along continuous altitudinal gradients in a climate change-sensitive mammal: the American pika. PLoS ONE 7:e39077. , , and .
- 2010. Selection criteria for scoring amplified fragment length polymorphisms (AFLPs) positively affect the reliability of population genetic parameter estimates. Genome 53:302–310. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Genetic and evolutionary impacts of climate change. Pp. 176–192 in T. E. Lovejoy and L. Hannah, eds. Climate Change and Biodiversity. Yale Univ. Press, New Haven, CT. and .
- 2006. Genetics, development and evolution of adaptive pigmentation in vertebrates. Heredity 97:222–234.
- 2007. A spatial analysis method (SAM) to detect candidate loci for selection: towards a landscape genomics approach to adaptation. Mol. Ecol. 16:3955–3969. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Spatial analysis method (SAM): a software tool combining molecular and environmental data to identify candidate loci for selection. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:957–960. , , and .
- 2006. Natural selection and climate change: temperature-linked spatial and temporal trends in gene frequency in Fagus sylvatica. Mol. Ecol. 15:3469–3480. , , , and .
- 2013. Novel genomic resources for a climate change sensitive mammal: characterization of the American pika transcriptome. BMC Genomics 14:311. , , , , and .
- 2003. The power and promise of population genomics: from genotyping to genome typing. Nat. Rev. Genet. 4:981–994. , , , , and .
- 2010. Common factors drive adaptive genetic variation at different spatial scales in Arabis alpina. Mol. Ecol. 19:3824–3835. , , , , and .
- 2007. Demographic analysis of a declining pika Ochotona collaris population: linking survival to broad-scale climate patterns via spring snowmelt patterns. J. Anim. Ecol. 76:899–907. and .
- 2008. Heterogeneous genomic differentiation between walking-stick ecotypes: “Isolation by adaptation” and multiple roles for divergent selection. Evolution 62:316–336. , , and .
- 2009. Divergent selection and heterogeneous genomic divergence. Mol. Ecol. 18:375–402. , , and .
- 2011. Multiple approaches to detect outliers in a genome scan for selection in ocellated lizards (Lacerta lepida) along an environmental gradient. Mol. Ecol. 20:193–205. , , , and .
- 2012. Challenges and pitfalls in the characterization of anonymous outlier AFLP markers in non-model species: lessons from an ocellated lizard genome scan. Heredity 109:340–348. , , , and .
- 2000. Bootstrapping R2 and adjusted R2 in regression analysis. Econ. Model. 17:473–483.
- 2010. Divergent selection in trailing- versus leading-edge populations of Biscutella laevigata. Ann. Bot. 105:655–660. and .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37:637–669.
- 2010. Comparing three different methods to detect selective loci using dominant markers. J. Evol. Biol. 23:2267–2276. , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2012. Retreat of the American pika: up the mountain or into the void? Pp. 245–270 in J. F. Brodie, E. Post and D. F. Doak, eds. Wildlife populations in a changing climate. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , , and .
- 2011. Building evolutionary resilience for conserving biodiversity under climate change. Evol. Appl. 4:326–337. , , and .
- 2004. Pikas as harbingers of global warming. Species 41:4–5. , , and .
- 2006. Development of scale-free climate data for western Canada for use in resource management. Int. J. Climatol. 26:383–397. , , , and .