Within-colony feeding selectivity by a corallivorous reef fish: foraging to maximize reward?
Article first published online: 20 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 12, pages 4109–4118, October 2013
Total views since publication: 40
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(12): 4109–4118
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 20 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 AUG 2013
- Marine and Tropical Science Research Facility (MTSRF)
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
- 2003. Food selection in two corallivorous butterflyfishes, Chaetodon austriacus and C. trifascialis, in the northern Red Sea. Mar. Biol. 24:165–177. , , and .
- 1990. Patch formation by herbivorous fish in a temperate Australian kelp forest. Oecologia 85:57–68. , and .
- 2008. Trade-offs associated with dietary specialization in corallivorous butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae: Chaetodon). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 62:989–994. , and .
- 2005. Within-reef differences in diet and body condition of coral-feeding butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae). Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 287:217–225. , , and .
- 2011. Relative gut lengths of coral reef butterflyfishes (Pisces: Chaetodontidae). Coral Reefs 30:1005–1010. , , and .
- 2013. Prey selectivity affects reproductive success of a corallivorous filefish. Oecologia 172:409–416. doi:10.1007/s00442-012-2521-7. , , and .
- 1976. Optimal foraging: attack strategy of a mantid. Am. Nat. 110:141–151.
- 2008. Diversity and functional importance of coral-feeding fishes on tropical coral reefs. Fish Fish. 9:286–307. , , and .
- 2009. Coral-feeding wrasse scars massive Porites colonies. Coral Reefs 28:207. , , and .
- 2010. Corallivory in tubelip wrasses: diet, feeding and trophic importance. J. Fish Biol. 76:818–835. , , and .
- 1964. Multiple comparisons using rank sums. Technometrics 6:241–252.
- 1989. Why does the white tip of stony corals grow so fast without zooxanthellae? Mar. Biol. 103:359–363. , , and .
- 1990. Why do hunting cheetahs prefer male gazelles? Anim. Behav. 40:837–845.
- 2001. Consumption choice by bears feeding on salmon. Oecologia 127:372–382. , , and .
- 1983. Flower handling efficiency of bumble bees: morphological aspects of probing time. Oecologia 57:274–280.
- 1989. Implications of feeding specialization on the recruitment processes and community structure of butterflyfishes. Environ. Biol. Fishes 25:101–110.
- 1960. Ecological relationships of the fish fauna on coral reefs of the Marshall Islands. Ecol. Monogr. 30:65–127. , and .
- 2006. Selective predation on Utah prairie dogs. Am. Nat. 168:546–552. , , , and .
- 2012. Optimal foraging for specific nutrients in predatory beetles. Proc. R Soc. B 279:2212–2218. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Feeding biology of the crown-of-thorns starfish, Acanthaster planci (Linnaeus). PhD thesis, James Cook University of North Queensland.
- 2007. Environmental controls on corallite morphology in the reef coral Montastraea annularis. Bull. Mar. Sci. 80:233–260. , , , and .
- 2001. Rapid response of an obligately corallivorous filefish Oxymonacanthus longirostris (Monacanthidae) to a mass coral bleaching event. Coral Reefs 20:155–158. , and .
- 2011. Ontogenetic and temporal variability in the fat content and fatty acid composition of Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus) from the Bay of Fundy, Canada. Fish. Bull. 109:113–122. , , and .
- 2008. Climate change and the future for coral reef fishes. Fish Fish. 9:261–285. , , , and .
- 2010. Specialist ant-eating spiders selectively feed on different body parts to balance nutrient intake. Anim. Behav. 79:1301–1306. , , , and .
- 2012) Changing feeding preferences of butterflyfishes following coral bleaching. Proceedings of the 12th International Coral Reef Symposium, Cairns, QLD, Australia. , , and (
- 2012. Cooperative hunting behavior, prey selectivity and prey handling by pack ice killer whales (Orcinus orca), type B, in Antarctic Peninsula waters. Mar. Mamm. Sci. 28:16–36. , and .
- 2011. Giant water bug (Belostoma sp.) predation on a cave fish (Poecilia mexicana): effects of female body size and gestational state. Evol. Ecol. Res. 13:133–144. , , , , and .
- 2007. Dietary selection by coral-feeding butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae) on the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Raffles Bull. Zool. 14:155–160.
- 1977. Optimal foraging: a selective review of theory and tests. Q. Rev. Biol. 52:137–154. , , and .
- 1980. Optimal foraging for complimentary resources. Am. Nat. 116:324–346.
- 2005. Selective predation by parrotfishes on the reef coral Porites astreoides. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 305:193–201. , and .
- 2008. Impact of coral predators on tropical reefs. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 367:73–91. , and .
- 2009. Predators selectively graze on reproductive structures in a clonal marine organism. Mar. Biol. 156:569–577. , and .
- 1984. Food habits of teleostean reef fishes in Okinawa Islands, southern Japan. Univ. Museum Univ. Tokyo Bull. 25:1–128. , , and .
- 2009. Effect of flower shape and size on foraging performance and trade-offs in a tropical hummingbird. Ecology 90:1147–1161. , , , and .
- 2008. Morphological plasticity in scleractinian corals. Biol. Rev. 83:315–337.
- 1989. Prey selection by coral-feeding butterflyfishes: strategies to maximize the profit. Environ. Biol. Fishes 25:171–185.
- 2000. Corals of the world. Australian Institute of Marine Science, Townsville, Australia.
- 1974. Optimal foraging and the size selection of prey by the bluegill sunfish (Lepomis Macrochirus). Ecology 55:1042–1052. , and .